RadioBanter

-   -   Public Service Question (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/105887-re-public-service-question.html)

[email protected] September 30th 06 03:33 AM

Public Service Question

Doug wrote:
In our small county some of us do both ham & CB public
service work. If I want to be fully accepted by the hams,
how many and what is the proper placement of ID stickers
on my car? to be accepted by the hams, my buddy
suggests a minimum of 42 "Member ARRL" stickers,
placed in every window of my car, along with at least
three more antennas mounted on the car. He said I will
make a big hit with the hams, if I place a large metal tag on
the car which says, "My hobby is Amateur Radio." Do
you have any more suggestions?

seven-thirds,

Doug

You seem to have it mostly covered, so I have only a couple more
suggestions...

The power cord has to run through a hole you drilled in the firewall.
If you snag the heater core, you have to go back to CB for three more
years. If you forget to use a rubber grommet and the cord shorts out,
add another year.

The antennas are installed with a drill, not a magnet or a clamp. If
you use a magnet mount, then drill a hole next to it for the coax
cable, you're only half-way to hamdom.

If your car doesn't veer at speeds over 35mph, your antennas aren't big
enough. Get the BIG Hustler coils and drill a 3/8" hole in a 16" pizza
pan for higher Q. But don't use an NMO mount for this setup.