RadioBanter

-   -   Antenna Question (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/1062-antenna-question.html)

Roger Gt January 13th 04 10:51 PM

Antenna Question

Aluminum strip, 10 inches wide and .006 inches thick as a dipole.

Any special considerations?

How can I predict the band width?

'Doc January 13th 04 11:50 PM

Roger Gt wrote:

Aluminum strip, 10 inches wide and .006 inches thick as a dipole.

Any special considerations?

Mechanincal considerations more probably a problem than
electrical considerations.

How can I predict the band width?

Numerology gives about as good a result as others...
'Doc

JGBOYLES January 14th 04 12:16 AM

Aluminum strip, 10 inches wide and .006 inches thick as a dipole.

How long?

Any special considerations?

How long you are to make your dipole, and what frequency do you intend to
operate?

How can I predict the band width?

In general wider and thicker produce wider bandwidth. Short dipoles or long
ones in terms of wavelength may have reduced bandwidth because of limitations
of matching devices.
As you know, bandwidth does not mean a good antenna. A resistor can have a
huge bandwidth, but radiate very little.
73 Gary N4AST

Reg Edwards January 14th 04 12:25 AM

Aluminum strip, 10 inches wide and .006 inches thick as a dipole.

Any special considerations?

How can I predict the band width?

========================

None. And no need to predict bandwidth. It will be more than wide enough.

Roger Gt January 14th 04 01:47 AM

"JGBOYLES" wrote in message
Aluminum strip, 10 inches wide and .006 inches thick as a dipole.

How long?

Any special considerations?

How long you are to make your dipole, and what frequency do you intend to
operate?

How can I predict the band width?

In general wider and thicker produce wider bandwidth. Short dipoles or

long
ones in terms of wavelength may have reduced bandwidth because of

limitations
of matching devices.
As you know, bandwidth does not mean a good antenna. A resistor can

have a
huge bandwidth, but radiate very little.
73 Gary N4AST

40 meters is the primary, there is enough space to do a full length dipole
with folded ends (about 12 to 15 feet. If it works I wanted to put a 20
meter dipole in the other side about three feet higher up the rafters.

I am familiar with wire antennas, and matching, but have never tried using
sheet stock as an antenna below 10 meters, and that was is an apartment.

Irv Finkleman January 14th 04 02:58 AM

Reg Edwards wrote:

Aluminum strip, 10 inches wide and .006 inches thick as a dipole.

Any special considerations?

How can I predict the band width?

========================

None. And no need to predict bandwidth. It will be more than wide enough.

None? Unless this is an attic antenna, wind will be a big consideration,
and possibly noise (acoustic) as well. I don't know all the laws of static induction
into
an antenna, but it seems to me that you might also want to watch for arcing
in connectors etc.

Irv VE6BP
--
--------------------------------------
Diagnosed Type II Diabetes March 5 2001

Roger Gt January 14th 04 04:08 AM

"Irv Finkleman" wrote in message
Reg Edwards wrote:

Aluminum strip, 10 inches wide and .006 inches thick as a dipole.
Any special considerations?
How can I predict the band width?

========================
None. And no need to predict bandwidth. It will be more than wide

enough.

None? Unless this is an attic antenna, wind will be a big consideration,
and possibly noise (acoustic) as well. I don't know all the laws of

static induction
into
an antenna, but it seems to me that you might also want to watch for

arcing
in connectors etc.

Irv VE6BP

IN the attic... Of course, and there will be no connectors.
Direct termination to the Sheet via lugs.
Insulated by plastic dowels, about 4 inches (~100mm) long.

I will also install two feet above the House wiring, ducts etc.

So I'll let you know how it works. In a while.

Thanks, Every one!

[email protected] January 14th 04 11:28 AM

Reg Edwards wrote:

[...]

Just in case the concern about a fire hazard from arcing or
corona discharge is a possiblity, it might not be a bad idea to blow a
few bucks on a smoke detector up there.

Lou DeChris January 14th 04 06:30 PM

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 22:51:35 GMT, Roger Gt hath writ:

Aluminum strip, 10 inches wide and .006 inches thick as a dipole.
Any special considerations?
How can I predict the band width?

At 1296 MHz?

Richard Clark January 14th 04 07:29 PM

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 11:28:01 GMT, wrote:

Just in case the concern about a fire hazard from arcing or
corona discharge is a possiblity, it might not be a bad idea to blow a
few bucks on a smoke detector up there.

and as a benefit, if you work CW, you might get sidetone.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC