RadioBanter

-   -   Mobile phone in hard environment (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/1064-mobile-phone-hard-environment.html)

Rocco January 14th 04 07:54 PM

Mobile phone in hard environment

Hi,
I have to provide mobile phone signal in a shielded environment.
Maybe the only way is by using an antenna that capture a sufficiently
strong signal outside the shielded room, and conveying that signal (
using a coax-cable ) inside it, at the end of the cable some sort of
repeater that provide the diffusion.
Does anyone has some other suggestion?
Or if the idea is correct, are those repeater in commerce?
And about the receiving antenna?
Thanks in advance.

RoS

Cecil Moore January 14th 04 08:46 PM

Rocco wrote:

Hi,
I have to provide mobile phone signal in a shielded environment.
Maybe the only way is by using an antenna that capture a sufficiently
strong signal outside the shielded room, and conveying that signal (
using a coax-cable ) inside it, at the end of the cable some sort of
repeater that provide the diffusion.
Does anyone has some other suggestion?
Or if the idea is correct, are those repeater in commerce?
And about the receiving antenna?
Thanks in advance.

Get you an external mobile cellular antenna. That already solves the
problem of operating a cellphone inside a "shielded" vehicle.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Dave VanHorn January 14th 04 11:09 PM

"w4jle" W4JLE(remove this to wrote in message
How about that antenna they sell on late night TV that sticks to your
battery? They claim is works anywhere.

It works just as well in any environment.

It dosen't work at all.

Cecil Moore January 15th 04 12:29 AM

w4jle wrote:
How about that antenna they sell on late night TV that sticks to your
battery? They claim is works anywhere.

Sorry, "anywhere" doesn't include inside a Faraday shield.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Cecil Moore January 15th 04 02:55 AM

w4jle wrote:
I would contend that it works as well in a faraday shield as it does in the
elevator.

Hi, Hi, ain't English great?
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Dave Shrader January 15th 04 12:44 PM

Yep! The antenna does work anywhere! Any antenna works anywhere. An
antenna inside a Faraday cage works just fine, but, outside the Faraday
cage you still can't hear anything. :-)

Roger Halstead January 16th 04 04:41 AM

On 14 Jan 2004 11:54:38 -0800, (Rocco)
wrote:

I'm basing my answer on the subject line word "hard" and the "shielded
environment" statement below.

Hi,
I have to provide mobile phone signal in a shielded environment.
Maybe the only way is by using an antenna that capture a sufficiently
strong signal outside the shielded room, and conveying that signal (

If it is truly a shielded room...forget it.
It was shielded for a reason and you used the term "hard" suggesting
it was intended to be shielded. Causing that shielding to fail could
be grounds for hunting for a new job.

using a coax-cable ) inside it, at the end of the cable some sort of
repeater that provide the diffusion.

IF you could get a passive repeater to work you would be causing a
loss of integrity to the shielded room. I've never gotten a passive
repeater to relay a signal strong enough to be useful.

Does anyone has some other suggestion?
Or if the idea is correct, are those repeater in commerce?
And about the receiving antenna?
Thanks in advance.

Unless, contrary to your phrasing the room is not shielded by intent
you really need to forget the whole thing.

I used to have a work area in a double walled shielded cage. When the
door was closed we could take 5 watt HTs less than a foot apart... One
outside and one inside. We could see and hear each other through the
screen but the HTs could not. Anything that could have let a signal
in would have negated the purpose of the room.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

RoS

Bob Bob January 16th 04 09:36 AM

A passive repeater? Basically an antenna both inside and outside the
room joined by a piece of coax.. Yes it works. I had it working with my
2m HT inside the home unit with a yagi sitting at the end of the
hallway, coax connected to the 5/8 on the roof of the house. (Only used
the yagi cause it was handy) Maybe 2-3 S points better at the time.
(best guess)

One of our guys at work has a similar setup for his mobile phone on
1800Mhz at his home QTH in a valley. Since we install mobile phone sites
I guess he would know.. He goes from no signal to noise free, how ever
many dB that is. Uses two mobile whips and about 10m of RG58 (yuk!)

Of course you'll have some losses in the system. Try it! Just remember
that coax losses on phone frequencies are kind of high so I suggest you
put the external antenna into a strong signal and think about using
lower loss cable. The trick is to experiment until you get a good enough
signal to use! (Unlike others I assume you want more than one phone to
work inside the room and that it needs to be portable)

I wont make any comments about filling the shielded room with other signals!

Repeaters are a little expensive but they do exist. We often do installs
in shopping centres, underground railways and high rise buildings using
such equipment. (Where you actually want a small coverage area) I am
pretty sure you can get an active wide band repeater as well. Since the
phone uses separate TX and RX freqs and you have a shielded room you
could get away with an amplifier running in each direction. (We did that
also for a UHF voice repeater on 400MHz with 5.5MHz separatation - in a
tunnel) Need a good set of cavities though. The installs that we do are
often extended using optical fibre at the RF frequency with antenna
interfaces at the remote end. You are talking a few bucks here by the
way. Go and have a look at Nokia's website if the passive one fails..

Cheers Bob VK2YQA

Ed Price January 16th 04 12:47 PM

wrote:

[...]

I regularly use passive and active "repeaters" to convey RF signals into a
shielded enclosure.

Sometimes, I'm testing a system that requires a GPS signal. I use an active
GPS antenna on the roof of my building, a 75-foot run of semi-rigid coax,
and then into a low-noise pre-amp. The output of the pre-amp goes to a
coaxial feedthrough port, and, on the inside of the chamber, I mount a
passive GPS antenna (as a radiator). The active GPS antenna has a very
narrow bandwidth, so out-of-band signals are reasonably well rejected and
not imported into the chamber.

Other times, I may be testing a device with a VHF / UHF data link. I usually
just put a simple rod antenna in the chamber, mounted directly to the coax
feedthrough port. Outside the chamber, I run coax to a test set / simulator,
or I connect another rod antenna. True, this introduces more RF garbage into
the chamber, but, if it becomes a problem, I can just stick a band-pass
filter into the coax line. Works every time for me.

Ed
wb6wsn

Dave Shrader January 16th 04 07:28 PM

All of the 'Screen Rooms' [120 db isolation into the GHz region] I've
installed, used or managed have an instrumentation panel with various
styles of feedthrough connectors. If your 'hard environment' is in fact
an intentional shielded enclosure [AKA Screen Room] I would use a 100%
solid shielded coax into the instrumentation panel then connect to an
external antenna.

Roger Halstead January 17th 04 08:42 AM

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 20:36:37 +1100, Bob Bob
wrote:

A passive repeater? Basically an antenna both inside and outside the
room joined by a piece of coax.. Yes it works. I had it working with my
2m HT inside the home unit with a yagi sitting at the end of the
hallway, coax connected to the 5/8 on the roof of the house. (Only used
the yagi cause it was handy) Maybe 2-3 S points better at the time.
(best guess)

My shop is metal lined with the only openings being two small windows
besides the doors which are metal.

I have never been able to get a passive set up to work in there and an
HT is only marginal out in the yard. I figured the big antenna on the
roof with a short run of hard line would do the trick, but no joy.

I ended up using cross band repeat on 440 to the rig in the house.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

snip

Bob Bob January 17th 04 06:47 PM

Hi Roger

I guess its a relative signal strength issue. I have never gone to the
trouble to work out the efficiency of a passive setup but whichever way
you look at it it will never work as well as a cable connected direct
from and external aerial to the radio. Might even have a look at it this
week if I get a chance.

How does that phrase go? YMMV!

Cheers Bob VK2YQA