RadioBanter

-   -   FM Transmitter for CD Players? (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/110534-fm-transmitter-cd-players.html)

W. Watson November 29th 06 12:39 PM

FM Transmitter for CD Players?

I just bought an MW FM transmitter that is battery powered. It allows one to
hook up the output of, say, a CD player to the headphone output, and
transmit the signal to select FM bands. This is fine for the most part, but
I'm wondering if there are units that have wall warts for power?

"I have made this letter [e-mail] a rather long one, only
because I didn't have the lesiure to make it shorter."
-- Blaise Pascal
Web Page: home.earthlink.net/~mtnviews

Tom Ring November 29th 06 01:06 PM

W. Watson wrote:

I just bought an MW FM transmitter that is battery powered. It allows
one to hook up the output of, say, a CD player to the headphone output,
and transmit the signal to select FM bands. This is fine for the most
part, but I'm wondering if there are units that have wall warts for power?

Go to C Crane's web site, which I believe is ccrane.com. They used to
have a unit that ran on battery or a wall wart.

tom
K0TAR

Cecil Moore November 29th 06 04:10 PM

W. Watson wrote:
I just bought an MW FM transmitter that is battery powered. It allows
one to hook up the output of, say, a CD player to the headphone output,
and transmit the signal to select FM bands. This is fine for the most
part, but I'm wondering if there are units that have wall warts for power?

Get an appropriate wallwart and clip it across the
battery terminals. Remove the batteries, of course.
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com

W. Watson November 29th 06 05:39 PM

Tom Ring wrote:

W. Watson wrote:

I just bought an MW FM transmitter that is battery powered. It allows
one to hook up the output of, say, a CD player to the headphone
output, and transmit the signal to select FM bands. This is fine for
the most part, but I'm wondering if there are units that have wall
warts for power?

Go to C Crane's web site, which I believe is ccrane.com. They used to
have a unit that ran on battery or a wall wart.

tom
K0TAR

Yes, they do. I just ordered it, $29.95, and am returning the other one. Thanks.

Sal M. Onella November 30th 06 05:08 AM

FM Transmitter for CD Players?

Ramsey has FM kits that are easy to build and, after I did three of them,
reliable. I think I did the FM-10C.
http://www.ramseyelectronics.com/hk/....asp?page=amfm

In San Diego, Gateway Electronics sells them off the shelf. If you have a
medium to large elex store nearby, inquire.

73

ink.net...

W. Watson November 30th 06 12:13 PM

FM Transmitter for CD Players?

Yikes! I think you're right. I can probably cut them off at the pass this
morning. They said it would be shipped today. I was looking at the picture
thinking that was the whole unit. I see some other units, but they seem to
be quite high priced compared the the battery operated MW unit I had. Of
course, Crane is usually above the general price on everything.

Jim Higgins wrote:

On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 17:39:57 GMT, "W. Watson"
wrote:

Tom Ring wrote:

Go to C Crane's web site, which I believe is ccrane.com. They used to
have a unit that ran on battery or a wall wart.

tom
K0TAR

Yes, they do. I just ordered it, $29.95, and am returning the other one. Thanks.

Are you sure you ordered a complete FM transmiter or just an accessory
kit to operate one in your car. I see no $29 transmitters on the
cccrane site, but I do see a $29 accessory kit.

W. Watson November 30th 06 12:15 PM

Sal M. Onella wrote:

Ramsey has FM kits that are easy to build and, after I did three of them,
reliable. I think I did the FM-10C.
http://www.ramseyelectronics.com/hk/....asp?page=amfm

In San Diego, Gateway Electronics sells them off the shelf. If you have a
medium to large elex store nearby, inquire.

73

"W. Watson" wrote in message
ink.net...

I just bought an MW FM transmitter that is battery powered. It allows one

hook up the output of, say, a CD player to the headphone output, and
transmit the signal to select FM bands. This is fine for the most part,

but

I'm wondering if there are units that have wall warts for power?

Thanks. I had checked with Ramsey and thought they were over priced, and my
days of building kits have long passed. Gateway sells the kits or has some
other FM xmitter?

Alan WA4SCA November 30th 06 08:37 PM

FM Transmitter for CD Players?

Take a look at their "orphans" page. The FM transmitters are $10
cheaper there, but with the same guarantee. Over the years I have
gotten two orphan items. Both were indistinguishable from the regular
items, right down to the package..

Still not cheap, but perhaps a small help. Much like Brookstones, if
you can find it somewhere else, it will always be cheaper. However,
C. Crane and Brookstones often get the quality stuff sooner.

--
Alan
WA4SCA

Tom Ring December 1st 06 12:39 AM

W. Watson wrote:

Yikes! I think you're right. I can probably cut them off at the pass
this morning. They said it would be shipped today. I was looking at the
picture thinking that was the whole unit. I see some other units, but
they seem to be quite high priced compared the the battery operated MW
unit I had. Of course, Crane is usually above the general price on
everything.

Their transmitter may cost more, but is a cut above the 2 or 3 others I
have owned previously. It's also one of the only ones I've purchased
that actually seems to put out something in the range of legal power and
deviation, as opposed to the Radio Shack ones (no longer on the market)
that will go REAL wide. It's also nice to have a fully synthed unit as
opposed to many that just are on a 4 or so freqs and that's all.

tom
K0TAR

W. Watson December 1st 06 04:37 AM

Tom Ring wrote:

W. Watson wrote:

Yikes! I think you're right. I can probably cut them off at the pass
this morning. They said it would be shipped today. I was looking at
the picture thinking that was the whole unit. I see some other units,
but they seem to be quite high priced compared the the battery
operated MW unit I had. Of course, Crane is usually above the general
price on everything.

Their transmitter may cost more, but is a cut above the 2 or 3 others I
have owned previously. It's also one of the only ones I've purchased
that actually seems to put out something in the range of legal power and
deviation, as opposed to the Radio Shack ones (no longer on the market)
that will go REAL wide. It's also nice to have a fully synthed unit as
opposed to many that just are on a 4 or so freqs and that's all.

tom
K0TAR

I'm about to refuse delivery of the kit when it arrives, and I've ordered
the orphan. I think this should be a very helpful device. I cannot get a
distant station in SF, KGO, because I need a device in the bedroom where I
have the C. Crane radio that interferes with KGO. When I put it 30' away,
reception is fine. So I'll hook up the FM xmitter to the Crane and pick it
up on another radio in the bedroom. This will also help in an out building
where reception isn't so hot for a number of FM/AM stations.