RadioBanter

-   -   Plastic Dipole centerpiece (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/1120-plastic-dipole-centerpiece.html)

Richard January 23rd 04 09:54 PM

Plastic Dipole centerpiece

I want to make a VHF receiving dipole with say 1/4" tubing. Can you buy
plastic dipole centerpeices? TIA.

Richard January 23rd 04 10:07 PM

"Richard" wrote in message
I want to make a VHF receiving dipole with say 1/4" tubing. Can you buy
plastic dipole centerpeices? TIA.

I mean a plastic center which has socket holes, which you push the tube
into.

'Doc January 24th 04 12:23 AM

Richard,
I haven't seen anything like that sold commercially,
but I don't see why you couldn't make one. Ought to be
able to find a source of plastics on the internet or
locally, maybe. Drill the holes you need and half way
there.
'Doc

Richard January 24th 04 11:25 AM

"'Doc" wrote in message ...

Richard,
I haven't seen anything like that sold commercially,
but I don't see why you couldn't make one. Ought to be
able to find a source of plastics on the internet or
locally, maybe. Drill the holes you need and half way
there.
'Doc

What material do you think?

Mikey January 24th 04 04:47 PM

Absolutely. Van Gornden, Budwig, and many others. Check the Ham Radio
on-line retail catalogs...

73,
Mike KI6PR
El Rancho R.F. CA

"Richard" wrote

'Doc January 24th 04 11:30 PM

Richard,
I would think that would depend on what you can find
available,
PVC, plexiglas, 'Delrin', who knows what else. I've used a
multi-
layer thingy of plexiglas glued together before, seemed to work
okay. So the question is 'what can you find?'.
'Doc

Roger Halstead January 25th 04 12:08 AM

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 22:07:12 -0000, "Richard"
wrote:

"Richard" wrote in message
I want to make a VHF receiving dipole with say 1/4" tubing. Can you buy
plastic dipole centerpeices? TIA.

I mean a plastic center which has socket holes, which you push the tube
into.

For 2 meters I'd use 1/2 inch copper pipe for the dipole and then a
plastic "T" would work for the center insulator. Just glue the pipe
in place.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Ralph Mowery January 25th 04 04:38 AM

"
Richard,
I haven't seen anything like that sold commercially,
but I don't see why you couldn't make one. Ought to be
able to find a source of plastics on the internet or
locally, maybe. Drill the holes you need and half way
there.
'Doc

What material do you think?

As the center of a dipole is low impedance almost any insulator will work.
If mounted outside pick something that will withstand the sun.

R. Torsten Clay January 26th 04 03:11 PM

Richard,
I would think that would depend on what you can find
available,
PVC, plexiglas, 'Delrin', who knows what else. I've used a
multi-
layer thingy of plexiglas glued together before, seemed to work
okay. So the question is 'what can you find?'.
'Doc

I use the plastic from kitchen cutting boards for such parts. Strong and
easily available.

Torsten
N4OGW