RadioBanter

-   -   [Off Topic] QRA? QCX? (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/112398-%5Boff-topic%5D-qra-qcx.html)

lu6etj December 26th 06 08:51 PM

[Off Topic] QRA? QCX?

Dear friends: I have a doubt. All of my life (for me and the others
local Hams), QRA = Call sign.

Recently a colleage said me - No... Call sign is QCX - . I don't knew
QCX, but I found it searching the web, Q code listings says:

QRA = The name of my station is...
QCX = My full call sign is...

How old is QCX Q code?

Some stations (no Ham, of course) has a name and a call sign,
broadcasting, coastals , etc.

What do you think about it?

Miguel Ghezzi (LU 6ETJ)

Caveat Lector December 26th 06 10:25 PM

[Off Topic] QRA? QCX?

Don't know how old QCX is but Q-codes date back to 1912 -- see URL:

http://www.kloth.net/radio/qcodes.php

Many Q-Codes listed there as well

Happy Holidays --- CL

oups.com...

Bill Turner December 28th 06 05:11 PM

[Off Topic] QRA? QCX?

Please folks, do not reply to these posts which have nothing to do
with the purpose of this newsgroup.

If these people never get any replies, they will eventually learn to
post to the correct newsgroup.

Thanks,

Bill, W6WRT

Mike Coslo December 29th 06 01:52 AM

[Off Topic] QRA? QCX?

Scott wrote in
:

Jeez, go BUILD something or put up a new antenna would you?

Please, Scott, Don't reply to Bill's endless replies to the people who
have nothing to do with the purpose of this newsgroup. That way I don't
have to see his posts. ;^)

Bill has undertaken a Quixotic effort to clean up the newsgroups. Every
time one of these jokers posts something off topic, he sends off that
message. He does the same in other groups.

Unfortunately, he didn't pay attention to the part in history class
where they warn you to not become like your enemy, for he is now right
up there with the worst of them.

But I do share your sentiment, Scott.

Seriously Bill, if you are reading this, I have to wonder what it
is like to become the same thing as what you are fighting against....

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -

Scott December 29th 06 02:14 PM

[Off Topic] QRA? QCX?

I hear ya man! I have decided to reform and quit replying to his canned
messages. I feel it's just like talking to a brick wall, so it is a
waste of my time. I guess I just have a bit of an aversion to people
dictating what I (and evryone else) do based on the dictator's beliefs.
I've always been of the belief that with newsgroups, I read the
subject line and if it doesn't sound like something I can help with, I
don't even read it and move on to the next message.

Now, on to antenna topics...does anybody know if Alford slot antennas
for say 902 and up would be decent mobile antennas to get a decent
horizontal omni radiation pattern?

Scott
N0EDV

Mike Coslo wrote:

Scott wrote in
:

Richard Clark December 29th 06 06:11 PM

[Off Topic] QRA? QCX?

On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 14:14:04 +0000, Scott
wrote:

Now, on to antenna topics...does anybody know if Alford slot antennas
for say 902 and up would be decent mobile antennas to get a decent
horizontal omni radiation pattern?

Hi Scott?

What is that you want decent mobile operation, or decent horizontal
pattern? At 902MHz is there much call for horizontal? Especially in
a mobile?

Consider the Inverted F at:
http://www.qsl.net/kb7qhc/antenna/In...%20F/index.htm

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

art December 29th 06 08:11 PM

QRA? QCX?

Heh Bill How about you making a list of people that you talk to that we
can't?
With your advance age it would be better if you wrote things down
before you expire.
We are all enjoying this treat of showing to thw world what ham radio
is like in America,
You have to be for us or against us as for the latter bring them on
America can do anything
it chooses to do wel let us say that a bit different America will do
what ever our president tells us to do. Now thats much better Are you
enjoying all that money we took out of the economy Bill before we sent
the work overseas. I got to see a lot of different places while doing
that but we have still a long way to go before we can get the wages
down in this worls economy. Amnericans just have to learn to eat just
twice a day and work harder if they are going to compete. If they don't
we will bring into the Country who are willing to do those jobs that
Americans wont do. And dont send your kids to college where they get
loaded up in debt, the big companies here are bringing in so many
Indians the next cricket test match is going to be played in the mid
West. There will be a small section left for the poor to stand and
watch. State Farm is making a fortune here and the economy they say
couldn't be better. They gained several billions this year by not
paying out on disasters or replacing auto bodies made cheaply overseas.
It is a non profit corporation which means all excess goes to the big
superviser who hit on the idea of bringing in ofshore help.
Only in America where the belligerent and the greedy always win
Art

Scott December 29th 06 09:45 PM

[Off Topic] QRA? QCX?

Can I have both? ;) Well, around here (the Chippewa Valley area) in
WI we all use horizontal on all bands from 6M and up. Actually, I was
just thinking about an Alford slot in the mobile since it is supposedly
fairly omnidirectional and horizontally polarized. Seemed it might be
OK for driving around and listening for my beacon or maybe an operator
or two if they also were using an omni horizontal antenna. There are
several of us on 902 within about 15 miles of each other...

I'll check out the inverted F on the website you cite. I'm guessing it
will be similar to the innards of blade antennas made for the VHF/UHF
aviation bands...

Scott
N0EDV

Bryan December 30th 06 06:03 AM

[Off Topic] QRA? QCX?

Scott wrote:
Can I have both? ;) Well, around here (the Chippewa Valley area) in
WI we all use horizontal on all bands from 6M and up. Actually, I was
just thinking about an Alford slot in the mobile since it is supposedly
fairly omnidirectional and horizontally polarized. Seemed it might be
OK for driving around and listening for my beacon or maybe an operator
or two if they also were using an omni horizontal antenna. There are
several of us on 902 within about 15 miles of each other...

I'll check out the inverted F on the website you cite. I'm guessing it
will be similar to the innards of blade antennas made for the VHF/UHF
aviation bands...

Scott
N0EDV

Scott,

You can have simultaneous H & V polarization. FM broadcast antennas
usually produce both, because they transmit to both home stations that use
horizontal-polarized antennas, and automobiles that have vertical-polarized
antennas. For an omni pattern, they'll have either two sets of elements
(H+V), or a combined horizontal loop + vertical radiator. Dielectric
Communications (http://www.dielectric.com/broadcast/fm.asp) offers the both
types.

Bryan WA7PRC