RadioBanter

-   -   Shootout Summary (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/1132-shootout-summary.html)

Cecil Moore January 25th 04 06:00 PM

Shootout Summary

Someone asked me to post the following summary of three
California 75m Mobile Shootouts:

Bugcatcher/Screwdriver with top hat 0 dB reference

Bugcatcher/Screwdriver, no top hat -3 dB, -50%

Hustler -7 dB, -80%

Outbacker -9 dB, -88%

Hamstick -12 dB, -94%

Whip with autotuner -14 dB, -96%

Considering that the top legal 75m mobile antennas are
only 5%-10% efficient to begin with, a Hamstick radiates
~0.6 watts in the far field with 100 watts input. 75m
Hamstick users must really enjoy QRP. :-)
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

H. Adam Stevens, NQ5H January 25th 04 08:09 PM

"Cecil Moore" wrote in message
Someone asked me to post the following summary of three
California 75m Mobile Shootouts:

Bugcatcher/Screwdriver with top hat 0 dB reference

Bugcatcher/Screwdriver, no top hat -3 dB, -50%

Hustler -7 dB, -80%

Outbacker -9 dB, -88%

Hamstick -12 dB, -94%

Whip with autotuner -14 dB, -96%

Considering that the top legal 75m mobile antennas are
only 5%-10% efficient to begin with, a Hamstick radiates
~0.6 watts in the far field with 100 watts input. 75m
Hamstick users must really enjoy QRP. :-)
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Thanks Cecil.
Sure looks consistent with my data.
I've tried 'em all but the Outbacker.
Nothing like a resonant, matched, big antenna.
73
H.
NQ5H

Henry Kolesnik January 26th 04 03:33 PM

Hi
I want to know what Bugcatcher/Screwdriver means? It sounds like it might
be a Screwdriver with Bugcatcher loading coil or they're one and the same/
Do you hve anymore info?
tnx
hank wd5jfr

Cecil Moore January 26th 04 04:40 PM

Henry Kolesnik wrote:
I want to know what Bugcatcher/Screwdriver means? It sounds like it might
be a Screwdriver with Bugcatcher loading coil or they're one and the same/
Do you hve anymore info?

Top of the line screwdrivers and bugcatchers are neck-and-neck in
the latest shootouts and can essentially be lumped together. A
screwdriver mounted on a Hustler bottom section and with a good
top hat is a top performer. There's not enough difference between
bugcatchers and screwdrivers to mention.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

[email protected] January 26th 04 05:28 PM

Henry Kolesnik wrote:
I want to know what Bugcatcher/Screwdriver means? It sounds like it

might
be a Screwdriver with Bugcatcher loading coil or they're one and the

same/
Do you hve anymore info?

Top of the line screwdrivers and bugcatchers are neck-and-neck in
the latest shootouts and can essentially be lumped together. A
screwdriver mounted on a Hustler bottom section and with a good
top hat is a top performer. There's not enough difference between
bugcatchers and screwdrivers to mention.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Cecil:

I know the shootout is for 75m but am curious if the group has ever done
anything similar for some of the higher bands.

73

Paul AB0SI