RadioBanter

-   -   HT 2 meter antenna (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/114027-ht-2-meter-antenna.html)

merlin-7 January 22nd 07 01:31 AM

HT 2 meter antenna

I think that most here know that even the best (rubber duck type antenna)
is still only 1/2 of a real antenna (no real ground plane) and adding a
wire, hanging off the ht and connected to the outside of the antenna
connector improves performance.

What I was wondering is.

Has any one tried doing the same thing with something like foil tape going
around the outside of a HT? Or possibly a spring or a couple of springs
connected to the antenna connector?

Btw it's a 5w Icom T2h so its pretty big for an HT, I commonly get in areas
where I can key up the repeater of choice but skip in and out sometimes.
My only other choice would be a small yagi (kind of hard to fit in a
suitcase)

Thanks
Ki4ILB

Roy Lewallen January 22nd 07 01:40 AM

HT 2 meter antenna

Haven't tried the tape or spring ideas. But a half wavelength antenna is
a good solution for an HT because it doesn't depend on the HT and your
body to be the other antenna half.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

Jimmie D January 22nd 07 01:41 AM

HT 2 meter antenna

"merlin-7" wrote in message
I think that most here know that even the best (rubber duck type antenna)
is still only 1/2 of a real antenna (no real ground plane) and adding a
wire, hanging off the ht and connected to the outside of the antenna
connector improves performance.

What I was wondering is.

Has any one tried doing the same thing with something like foil tape going
around the outside of a HT? Or possibly a spring or a couple of springs
connected to the antenna connector?

Btw it's a 5w Icom T2h so its pretty big for an HT, I commonly get in
areas
where I can key up the repeater of choice but skip in and out sometimes.
My only other choice would be a small yagi (kind of hard to fit in a
suitcase)

Thanks
Ki4ILB

There are a lot of alternatives betwenn the rubber duck and yagi antenna.

Cecil Moore January 22nd 07 02:15 AM

HT 2 meter antenna

merlin-7 wrote:
I think that most here know that even the best (rubber duck type antenna)
is still only 1/2 of a real antenna (no real ground plane) and adding a
wire, hanging off the ht and connected to the outside of the antenna
connector improves performance.

So what is wrong with a 19" monopole sticking up and
a 19" tiger tail hanging down for 2m operation?
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com

Wayne January 22nd 07 02:28 AM

HT 2 meter antenna

"merlin-7" wrote in message
I think that most here know that even the best (rubber duck type antenna)
is still only 1/2 of a real antenna (no real ground plane) and adding a
wire, hanging off the ht and connected to the outside of the antenna
connector improves performance.

What I was wondering is.

Has any one tried doing the same thing with something like foil tape going
around the outside of a HT? Or possibly a spring or a couple of springs
connected to the antenna connector?

Btw it's a 5w Icom T2h so its pretty big for an HT, I commonly get in
areas
where I can key up the repeater of choice but skip in and out sometimes.
My only other choice would be a small yagi (kind of hard to fit in a
suitcase)

Thanks
Ki4ILB

You might try taking a telescoping whip, and adjust it to about 1/2
wavelength at 2 m. Then use a rubber band at the center of the whip to
fasten it to the talkie just below the rubber duck. In effect this gives a
"ground plane" antenna, but with only 2 radials. For 4 radials, use two
telescoping whips.

Bryan January 22nd 07 04:26 AM

HT 2 meter antenna

merlin-7 wrote:
I think that most here know that even the best (rubber duck type antenna)
is still only 1/2 of a real antenna (no real ground plane) and adding a
wire, hanging off the ht and connected to the outside of the antenna
connector improves performance.

What I was wondering is.

Has any one tried doing the same thing with something like foil tape

going
around the outside of a HT? Or possibly a spring or a couple of springs
connected to the antenna connector?

Btw it's a 5w Icom T2h so its pretty big for an HT, I commonly get in

areas
where I can key up the repeater of choice but skip in and out sometimes.
My only other choice would be a small yagi (kind of hard to fit in a
suitcase)

Thanks
Ki4ILB

You may not need the gain of a yagi but could still easily do a collapsible
dipole that would fit your briefcase. TV rabbit (aka "bunny") ears come to
mind as a donor antenna -- replace the twinlead with 50 ohm coax (and a
choke balun). And for a portable antenna with a short feedline, RG-174/U is
mighty convenient (buy a BNC-to-whatever patch cable & snip off the uneeded
end). If you buy a longer BNC/BNC patch cable, you can cut it in half and
make two (different) antennas.

Bryan WA7PRC

Jimmie D January 22nd 07 04:41 AM

HT 2 meter antenna

"Bryan" wrote in message
merlin-7 wrote:
[...]

Forgot I had used TV rabbit ears during a month long stay up in Syracuse.
The TV was on cable but still had the rabbit ears that cme with the TV.
These were made for use with coax so they are just a cable connected to the
telscoping antenna. Bought an F to BNC adapter at Radio Shack and was in
business. Ive used pieces of wire pinned to curtains.

Jimmie

Bryan January 22nd 07 04:52 AM

HT 2 meter antenna

Jimmie D wrote:

Bryan wrote:
merlin-7 wrote:
[...]

The coaxial cable was likely a 75 ohm variety... but would be close enough
to 50 ohms so the rig would drive it. Apparently, it did for you! ^5

Bryan

Jimmie D January 22nd 07 05:12 AM

HT 2 meter antenna

"Bryan" wrote in message
Jimmie D wrote:

Bryan wrote:
merlin-7 wrote:
[...]

YEah, the cable on the antenna was pretty short, not more than a foot.
Fortunately I had a 6ft piece of rg58 with BNC connectors.

merlin-7 January 22nd 07 10:06 PM

HT 2 meter antenna

Bryan wrote:
merlin-7 wrote:
[...]

Thanks all,
I had thought of a few of the options you all suggested. I was seeing what
you all could think of or have done.
I also wonder if its possible to realistically run 2 ducks in phase?
I would like to avoide the 19 inch wire hanging down.
Thanks
Joe
KI4ILB