RadioBanter

-   -   "Noise" antenna for MFJ-1026 "Noise Canceling Signal Enhancer" (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/115570-noise-antenna-mfj-1026-noise-canceling-signal-enhancer.html)

Eric February 22nd 07 10:56 PM

"Noise" antenna for MFJ-1026 "Noise Canceling Signal Enhancer"

I have the MFJ-1026 what they grandly call a "Deluxe Noise Canceling
Signal Enhancer" (as contrasted with the plain old non-deluxe version, I
guess).

The main station antenna is a 160-meter inverted vee up about 40 feet and
fed with ladder line, used on all bands 160-10. The noise antenna is an
80-meter dipole up about 20 feet, fed with coax, and oriented about 60
degrees off of the plane of the inverted vee.

There are times when the noise canceler works really well, and other times
when it works hardly at all. I know that when you get noise from all
directions, there isn't much an active noise canceling device can do about
it. Still, I'm wondering if there is something I can do to make it work
better.

Is there another kind of noise antenna that I could use that would work
better a larger percentage of the time?

Someone told me that an active receiving antenna (a relatively short whip
with a preamp that's mounted at the antenna) could work better, but I'd
need something that's broadband through the 160-10 meter range that
wouldn't have to be tuned.

Any suggestions? Thanks...

Jan Simons PA0SIM February 24th 07 06:01 PM

"Noise" antenna for MFJ-1026 "Noise Canceling Signal Enhancer"

Hello Eric,
I guess the MFJ-1026 has the same problem as the MFJ-1025.
The MFJ-1025 does not cover the full 360 degrees fase difference.
So when the MFJ-1026 can not provide the required fase difference,
the noise can not be canceled.
You can make a phaser yourself that outperformes the MFJ-1025:
http://www.pa0sim.nl/Phaser%2080%20-%2010%20meters.htm

It does not matter what kind of noise antenne you use as long as the noise
antenna picks up the same single noise source with abt the same signal
level as the main antenna.

Noise canceling, using two antennas, can only cancel a single noise source.
But it is possible to use eg. two small loop antennas for receive purposes.
The null of the loops can be used to null one noise source and the noise
canceling then can cancel the second noise source.

Digital signal processing makes other tricks possible.
http://www.pa0sim.nl/Digital%20Signa...ng%20route.htm
But thats an other story.

73 de Jan PA0SIM

"Eric" schreef in bericht