RadioBanter

-   -   Is Dominator/Predetor(~6dB gain) competent to CP antennas for LPFM? (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/115666-dominator-predetor-%7E6db-gain-competent-cp-antennas-lpfm.html)

BK February 24th 07 12:30 PM

Is Dominator/Predetor(~6dB gain) competent to CP antennas for LPFM?

Dear All,
I have been researching for a long time to know weather there is a
cost effective alternative to the costly CP antenna bay for my low
budget LPFM station. And interestingly I have found the one called
Dominator/Predetor (with true ~6dB gain).

1. Norwalk Electronics' Dominator® FM broadcast antenna
(http://fmbroadcastantenna.com/)

2. HIGH GAIN COLINEAR ALUMINUM Wave PREDATOR
(http://www.pcs-electronics.com/wave-...na-p-1096.html)

At a the budget of $300 the best high gain antenna I could find are
these. And so I have decided to purchase any one of these two.
Though
I am still in doubt weather the high gain (nearly 6db not 6dBi) is a
hype.

I am looking for some comment on it if some of you have come accross
these antennas.

Regards,
Bhuvan

Richard Clark February 24th 07 06:19 PM

On 24 Feb 2007 04:30:51 -0800, "BK" wrote:

I am still in doubt weather the high gain (nearly 6db not 6dBi) is a
hype.

Hi Bhuvan,

Doubt no longer. You can buy the 6dBi for much less from any number
of other vendors. BEWARE of vendors that give their antennas "names."
Product numbers are sufficient for a commodity market. Better yet,
build your own. All antennas can be scaled to ANY frequency.

The single best advice that you could accept is to raise the antenna
as high as you can.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

BK February 25th 07 10:12 AM

On Feb 24, 11:19 pm, Richard Clark wrote:
On 24 Feb 2007 04:30:51 -0800, "BK" wrote:

I am still in doubt weather the high gain (nearly 6db not 6dBi) is a
hype.

Hi Bhuvan,

Doubt no longer. You can buy the 6dBi for much less from any number
of other vendors. BEWARE of vendors that give their antennas "names."
Product numbers are sufficient for a commodity market. Better yet,
build your own. All antennas can be scaled to ANY frequency.

The single best advice that you could accept is to raise the antenna
as high as you can.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Thanks for your advice to raise the antenna as high as possible. I can
rise a 40 ft of 1 1/2 inch GI pipe on the rooftop of a four story
building to achieve 90ft hight for the antenna that shouldn't cost me
morethan $300 for the transmission of 100 watt at the transmitter
power. I am looking for the high gain antenna as ERP is not mesured
rather transmitter power is the concern here for FM transmission.

Regards,
Bhuvan

J. Mc Laughlin February 25th 07 10:12 PM

Is Dominator/Predetor(~6dB gain) competent to CP antennas for LPFM?

Dear Bhuvan (no call given):

If the antenna is for a LPFM station licensed by the FCC (U.S.A.), then
tight restrictions exist on the height of the antenna. Where are you
located?

In any case, as Richard has said, one may buy an antenna for the purpose for
less money.

73, Mac N8TT
--
J. Mc Laughlin; Michigan U.S.A.
Home:
oups.com...

BK February 26th 07 03:02 AM

On Feb 26, 3:12 am, "J. Mc Laughlin" wrote:
Dear Bhuvan (no call given):

If the antenna is for a LPFM station licensed by the FCC (U.S.A.), then
tight restrictions exist on the height of the antenna. Where are you
located?

In any case, as Richard has said, one may buy an antenna for the purpose for
less money.

73, Mac N8TT
--
J. Mc Laughlin; Michigan U.S.A.
Home: "BK" wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

I know the LPFM policy of FCC, that stick to ERP. But I am located in
Nepal. Upon inquary to the communication ministry, the engineer there
stated that they would be concerned with PEP. I can feel the
concerened engineer is either having little or excessive knowledge of
FM transmission. What I have seen here is that they would measure the
transmission of a station as 100 Watt at the transmitter power in my
case. So, often stations are built with a stacked array of broadband
antennas. But I can't afford that antenna system though trying to have
a cost effective antenna system to boost the ERP of my station
operating at 100 Watt @ transmitter power.

Regards,
Bhuvan

jeff1221 October 1st 10 03:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BK (Post 552493)
On Feb 26, 3:12 am, "J. Mc Laughlin" wrote:
Dear Bhuvan (no call given):

If the antenna is for a LPFM station licensed by the FCC (U.S.A.), then
tight restrictions exist on the height of the antenna. Where are you
located?

In any case, as Richard has said, one may buy an antenna for the purpose for
less money.

73, Mac N8TT
--
J. Mc Laughlin; Michigan U.S.A.
Home: "BK" wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

josh68 October 19th 10 10:43 PM

contact steve or jay at [url]http://www.a1antennas.com They make a nice fm broadcast antenna.

josh68 October 19th 10 10:46 PM

Im withdrawing my post

Eagle Eye November 2nd 10 05:00 AM

The Dominator does have a guarantee to outperform any single other omni directional FM antenna or they will refund your money.

josh68 November 6th 10 10:04 PM

how long does the consumer have to get a refund