RadioBanter

-   -   MFJ - Mighty Fine Junk or good stuff (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/117318-mfj-mighty-fine-junk-good-stuff.html)

Stanislav_Luniev March 27th 07 04:54 PM

MFJ - Mighty Fine Junk or good stuff

I havent purchased any MFJ stuff for years now.
Last time I purchased something I was not really happy with the quality.
Can anyone tell me if they have upgraded or is the stuff still Mighty Fine
Junk!

John, N9JG March 27th 07 07:36 PM

MFJ - Mighty Fine Junk or good stuff

I am using the MFJ-1124 DC Power Outlet strip, and its quality is quite
good. I am contemplating the purchase of one of their line noise meters to
help me locate one or more line noise generators, which are a big nuisance
at my location. Maybe someone can make some comments on the MFJ-856 or
MFJ-852 noise finders.

John, N9JG

"Stanislav_Luniev" wrote in
message news:Yr6dnd0r9NjEoJTbnZ2dnUVZ_obinZ2d@hawaiiantel. net...

Dave Oldridge March 27th 07 08:13 PM

MFJ - Mighty Fine Junk or good stuff

Stanislav_Luniev wrote in
news:Yr6dnd0r9NjEoJTbnZ2dnUVZ_obinZ2d@hawaiiantel. net:

I havent purchased any MFJ stuff for years now.
Last time I purchased something I was not really happy with the
quality. Can anyone tell me if they have upgraded or is the stuff
still Mighty Fine Junk!

In my considerable experience, it's a mixed bag. I like my 993B
automatic tuner. I also like my 784B audio DSP filter. The 1026 noise
canceller came with a flaky connector for the whip but it does work as
advertised. The 931 artificial ground is a bit fragile and needed to be
repaired after getting it second hand (the wire had come off the
capacitor inside due to a cold solder joint breaking from shipping
vibration). And I LOVE my 259B analyzer. It has saved me lots of trouble
and trial and error.

I also have a nice little magnetic field strength indicator which is nice
for spotting antenna currents on house wiring and feedlines. I forget
the number and it's too far to run and look.

We used to use their basic keyer for commercial CW at Halifax Coast Guard
Radio during the last phase of Marine CW there. They weren't
complicated, had no fancy memories or anything, but worked day in and day
out.

--
Dave Oldridge+
ICQ 1800667

Buck[_2_] March 27th 07 08:17 PM

MFJ - Mighty Fine Junk or good stuff

On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 05:54:21 -1000, Stanislav_Luniev
wrote:

I havent purchased any MFJ stuff for years now.
Last time I purchased something I was not really happy with the quality.
Can anyone tell me if they have upgraded or is the stuff still Mighty Fine
Junk!

They have their products that include good, medium and cheep! Just
figure out which it is before you buy.

Buck
N4pgw

--
73 for now
Buck, N4PGW

[email protected] March 27th 07 08:32 PM

wrote:
I havent purchased any MFJ stuff for years now.
Last time I purchased something I was not really happy with the quality.
Can anyone tell me if they have upgraded or is the stuff still Mighty Fine
Junk!

They have their products that include good, medium and cheep! Just
figure out which it is before you buy.

Buck
N4pgw

--
73 for now
Buck, N4PGWwww.lumpuckeroo.com

I use their antenna analyser found it very good.

R. Scott March 27th 07 10:25 PM

MFJ - Mighty Fine Junk or good stuff

"Stanislav_Luniev" wrote in
message news:Yr6dnd0r9NjEoJTbnZ2dnUVZ_obinZ2d@hawaiiantel. net...
I havent purchased any MFJ stuff for years now.
Last time I purchased something I was not really happy with the quality.
Can anyone tell me if they have upgraded or is the stuff still Mighty Fine
Junk!

2 years MFJ 969 Tuner, no problems so far.
Only thing I've really got from them.

Rick[_3_] March 27th 07 10:27 PM

MFJ - Mighty Fine Junk or good stuff

On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 05:54:21 -1000, Stanislav_Luniev wrote:

I havent purchased any MFJ stuff for years now.
Last time I purchased something I was not really happy with the quality.
Can anyone tell me if they have upgraded or is the stuff still Mighty Fine
Junk!

All in all their quality is OK I guess. I have the MFJ-401D keyer,
MFJ-564 paddles, MFJ-1026 noise canceler, and MFJ-921 VHF antenna tuner.
They all look like something that a really talented homebuilder could
build in his home workshop, and they all work more or less as advertised.

What really bugs me is their insufferably arrogant attitude about
providing support via email. On their support page they say "There is a
two to four WEEK (emphasis mine) response time for support emails and if
that's not good enough for you, call us on the phone". There is no excuse
for that kind of an attitude.

Owen Duffy March 27th 07 10:45 PM

MFJ - Mighty Fine Junk or good stuff

Stanislav_Luniev wrote in
news:Yr6dnd0r9NjEoJTbnZ2dnUVZ_obinZ2d@hawaiiantel. net:

I havent purchased any MFJ stuff for years now.
Last time I purchased something I was not really happy with the
quality. Can anyone tell me if they have upgraded or is the stuff
still Mighty Fine Junk!

Do you mean:

Do they still use thermoplastics for coil supports and roller inductors
so that the components are damaged if they get hot?

Do they still leave loose bits of solder, wire, nuts etc inside completed
euipment?

Do all their instruments that claim to indicate PEP power actually work
on SSB telephony?

Do the meters on MFJ antenna analysers still fall into the case if you
make the mistake of gripping the analyser with thumb pressure on the
meter?

Do they still use hard-to-get incandescent lamps to light meter
movements?

Do they take a month to respond to spare part enquiries, and then make a
partial response that is of no use?

Do they still use plated steel parts that don't withstand weather for
more than a year or two on their antennas?

Do they still ship linear amplifiers with a circuit diagram that is so
shabby, it defies unambiguous interpretation?

Are they still buying up other manufacturers to apply their "quality" to
the whole market?

Bob Miller March 28th 07 01:49 AM

wrote:

I havent purchased any MFJ stuff for years now.
Last time I purchased something I was not really happy with the quality.
Can anyone tell me if they have upgraded or is the stuff still Mighty Fine
Junk!

I have about ten of their products. Most are fine. My best advice is
to buy from a retailer that will take the product back in a few days
if you don't like it.

I'd stay away from their current tuners. An older one I have, a 989C,
is good stuff. A newer model, the 989D was junk and promptly returned
to Amateur Electronic Supply.

bob
k5qwg

Rick[_3_] March 28th 07 08:16 PM

MFJ - Mighty Fine Junk or good stuff

On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 17:37:40 +0000, Jim Higgins wrote:

You lie by error or distortion.

Ah. Or, perhaps I err by trying to summarize or do it from memory.

Call me careless if you like, but don't call me a liar.

Given the usual failure to provide the most obviously needed facts
when seeking tech support I don't blame them for all but refusing to
go six rounds via email vs one via phone.

We can agree to disagree on that one. I consider email to be a great
telephone-tag eliminator, leaves a convenient written record of what was
said, AND allows people to respond on their schedules rather than having
to drop what they're doing, or sit on "hold" for who knows how long.

I consider their attitude supremely arrogant and utterly unnecessary. You
don't have to agree, but you also don't have to disagree by name calling.

This'll be my last post on this...