RadioBanter

-   -   Best antenna to go through triple-pane glass (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/1180-best-antenna-go-through-triple-pane-glass.html)

Chuck Daniels February 3rd 04 09:05 PM

Best antenna to go through triple-pane glass

Hi: Looking for recommendation on the best antenna to go through 3
panes of glass. Here is my configuration:

WISP one mile LOS High Gain Antenna 2 ft pigtail Netgear
Bridge 5 ft cat 5 cable Netgear AP XP laptop w/SMC universal
wifi card

No option to put outside the building. Antenna must be inside
building. Tried going through wall but worse than going through the
windows.

Thanks

J. Harvey February 6th 04 01:19 AM

"LinkTech"
Glass only starts acting as a lossy medium when over 8 Ghz.

Depends how far over 8 GHz...

Most common glass is reasonably low loss in the 400 to 700 THz
(terahertz, 10^12) 'band'.

;-)

More seriously, 'Low-E' (low emissivity) glass has a thin metal
coating that might make the glass less transparent at RF. I'm not
sure about the magnitude of the effect at RF. It certainly works at
IR.