Old February 4th 04, 04:14 AM
Greg Doughty

Default 2m antenna

I realize this is a common thread but I have actually looked through the
suggestions and still am unsure of what to get. I am getting an ic2100 mobile
and want to put it in my mini-van. . .well . . .my wife's mini-van. It is the
vehicle we do the most traveling in. Rs sells a magmount scanner/2m antenna.
She really does not want that. She shops a lot and goes into parking garages
so it needs to hide or fold like the larsens. I have been told NO holes in the
vehicle. what is my recourse for this conundrum? Oh, and the final kicker,
can it be done for under 50 bucks?

Thanks
73
Greg

Old February 4th 04, 04:34 AM
Cecil Moore

Greg Doughty wrote:
what is my recourse for this conundrum?

Find a more understanding female?
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old February 4th 04, 04:47 AM
Stephen Cowell

"Greg Doughty" wrote in message
I realize this is a common thread but I have actually looked through the
suggestions and still am unsure of what to get. I am getting an ic2100

mobile
and want to put it in my mini-van. . .well . . .my wife's mini-van. It is

the
vehicle we do the most traveling in. Rs sells a magmount scanner/2m

antenna.
She really does not want that. She shops a lot and goes into parking

garages
so it needs to hide or fold like the larsens. I have been told NO holes

in the
vehicle. what is my recourse for this conundrum? Oh, and the final

kicker,
can it be done for under 50 bucks?

I believe your best bet would be either a
mag-mount 1/4 wave or dual-bander by
Larsen, or best would be a 5/8 wave lip-
mounted in your hood. opposite the AM/FM
antenna. Larsen makes the little L-bracket
for NMO mount... those take drilling, but
it's in an out-of-the-way place under the hood.
If your hood's gap is too tight, this might not
be an option.

If you're going to spend money, I'd go
with Larsen... I'd stay away from the RS
stuff for VHF.
__
Steve
KI5YG/EA
..

Old February 4th 04, 12:23 PM
N4IXT

If I'm thinking of the same RS antenna you are, it's only good to 25 watts
max. Bad idea with the 2100.

I like the other suggestion of a lip mount that would put it on the hood.
You other option is to get a mag mount, leave it in the back of the van and
when you go somewhere together just sit it on top of the van in the rear. A
pain, but she's not going to be using it anyway, and it fits your price
range.

MFJ sells a decent antenna that works on 2m/440, has a little over 2 db of
gain on 2m, it's about 2 and a half feet tall and is in your price range.
There's a short version that's about foot tall, not much gain but being
short you might be able to get away with leaving it on top of the van all
the time. A fold over would be ideal, unfortunately it's way out of your
budget.

Finally, if you don't want to trade in the wife on a newer model, you might
consider dumping the van for a shorter vehicle!

73's

Robert / N4IXT

Old February 4th 04, 02:07 PM
Mikey

Hmmm...Let's see here. She makes you buy a mini-van. She won't let you
punch the hole for the antenna. She won't let you use a mag-mount. AND she
won't let you spend more than $50 to find a solution.

I think you got bigger problems than your antenna, Greg...

- Mike KI6PR
El Rancho R.F., CA

"Greg Doughty" wrote

Old February 4th 04, 09:21 PM
Steve GOG

one thing to remember is the shorter the antenna in most cases will limit
its effective range. do you intend on using it more local or for longer
range.?

why are you ot alound to put holes in the van? is it a lease
you can always unscrew the whip from the mount for easy storage or also fold
over the whip on some models. have you looke at th window clip type mounts?

check out hamstop.com, they seem to have some good prices on antennas, and
you can get what you need for 50 or less there

im trying to put some POSITIVE info, instead of the get a new wife, new car
things people have said. lets be realistic

Old February 4th 04, 11:28 PM
Lloyd Mitchell

I highly recommend the 5/8 or 1/4 wave on the "L" bracket either on the
front hood or on the rear lift gate area. the 1/4 wave will be perfect for
that area. I also can highly recommend the Maxrad or the standard Motorola
1/4 wave antenna as an alternative to Larsen. dont discount them for price
until you check with a commercial shop first, you might be surprized at the
cost and the durability difference.

Mitch KD4HTW

Old February 6th 04, 03:59 AM
Greg Doughty

Thank you for all the suggestions. Somebody suggested a metal plate grounded
to the vehicle from underneath the hood. I recently saw a city vehicle with
that done. Pretty nice and seems to solve some problems so I am going to try
that with a motorola antenna. As for all the wife jokes . . . thanks. I am
not too witty and they're great comebacks for when we talk about antennas.
(Considering she is tired of seeing the feedlines from the two in the attic! I
keep telling her I won't need 50 feet in the van!)
73
Greg