RadioBanter

-   -   Compact Yagi Design for VHF????????????????????????? (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/1201-compact-yagi-design-vhf.html)

Dr. Slick February 8th 04 05:06 AM

Compact Yagi Design for VHF?????????????????????????

Hi,

We would like to build our own Yagi from aluminum (better than
1/2" copper?) that can handle up to 400 watts or so.

We want to keep the antenna as compact as possible, but yet with
at least some directivity. I understand "compact" is a difficult
design parameter for VHF wavelengths, especially for a multi-element
Yagi, but that's what we want.

This would probably be a 3 element design, and it can be dedicated
for one frequency, or it can be broadband. There doesn't seem to be
too much design info on the web.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Slick

Dave February 8th 04 12:07 PM

two things you are missing... what frequencies, and just how compact is
compact?? a 3 ele yagi for 2m is only about 3' square, how much smaller
would you want it??

om...

Gary S. February 8th 04 12:37 PM

On Sun, 8 Feb 2004 12:07:21 -0000, "Dave" wrote:

two things you are missing... what frequencies, and just how compact is
compact?? a 3 ele yagi for 2m is only about 3' square, how much smaller
would you want it??

Physics and the wavelength will limit how compact you can get.

Also, this design is more selective not only in direction, but will
cover a narrower frequency range than a vertical.

Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)

Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA

Dr. Slick February 8th 04 09:32 PM

Gary S. Idontwantspam@net wrote in message . ..
On Sun, 8 Feb 2004 12:07:21 -0000, "Dave" wrote:

two things you are missing... what frequencies, and just how compact is
compact?? a 3 ele yagi for 2m is only about 3' square, how much smaller
would you want it??

Physics and the wavelength will limit how compact you can get.

Also, this design is more selective not only in direction, but will
cover a narrower frequency range than a vertical.

144 Megs. Just wanna make it as small as possible while retaining
directivity. Perhaps just a driven element and a director (no
reflector)?

I don't care if it's narrow-band.

S.

Dave February 8th 04 10:23 PM

"Dr. Slick" wrote in message
om...
Gary S. Idontwantspam@net wrote in message

. ..
On Sun, 8 Feb 2004 12:07:21 -0000, "Dave" wrote:

two things you are missing... what frequencies, and just how compact is
compact?? a 3 ele yagi for 2m is only about 3' square, how much

smaller
would you want it??

Physics and the wavelength will limit how compact you can get.

Also, this design is more selective not only in direction, but will
cover a narrower frequency range than a vertical.

144 Megs. Just wanna make it as small as possible while retaining
directivity. Perhaps just a driven element and a director (no
reflector)?

I don't care if it's narrow-band.

S.

you still haven't said how small you think is small. 2 elements would be
about 18" by 36" with full size elements, which is plenty small for me.

Gary S. February 8th 04 10:26 PM

On 8 Feb 2004 13:32:03 -0800, (Dr. Slick) wrote:

Gary S. Idontwantspam@net wrote in message . ..
On Sun, 8 Feb 2004 12:07:21 -0000, "Dave" wrote:

two things you are missing... what frequencies, and just how compact is
compact?? a 3 ele yagi for 2m is only about 3' square, how much smaller
would you want it??

Physics and the wavelength will limit how compact you can get.

Also, this design is more selective not only in direction, but will
cover a narrower frequency range than a vertical.

144 Megs. Just wanna make it as small as possible while retaining
directivity. Perhaps just a driven element and a director (no
reflector)?

I don't care if it's narrow-band.

You might take a peek at this product before you put too much time and
effort in:
http://www.arrowantennas.com/146-3ii.html

They also do ones for 70 cm and dual band, and can custom do ones for
a variety of frequencies.

The first reflector and director add greatly to performance, after
that the effect is less for each addition.

Compact in use and compact to carry are different things, think about
what you actually need.

Kingfish Stevens February 9th 04 12:40 AM

On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 22:26:46 GMT, Gary S. Idontwantspam@net wrote:

Moxon Rectangle.........
Do a Google search for moxon rectangle + calculator