RadioBanter

-   -   Holt melt glue as potting agent ? (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/120238-holt-melt-glue-potting-agent.html)

Nick June 8th 07 11:15 PM

Holt melt glue as potting agent ?

I am experimenting with some aerial designs and wondered if anyone
had used / knows whether
hot melt glue is good to seal and waterproof connections and its
electrical characteristics ?

(I will just go and stick some in the microwave with a glass of
water and see if it melts ! )

Thanks,

Nick

Henry[_2_] June 8th 07 11:24 PM

Holt melt glue as potting agent ?

It won't melt easy in the microwave.

It is relatively good performance for shortwave. But be aware there are several different substances in sell as hot melt glue.
You cannot easely extrapolate to other frequencies other than 2.45GHz !

regards -
Henry

--
www.ehydra.dyndns.info

Nick June 8th 07 11:46 PM

Holt melt glue as potting agent ?

Hi Henry,

Thanks for that - I will see if it affects the signal / SWR if I
place it next to the aerial as well then.

Cheers

Nick

Ian White GM3SEK June 9th 07 07:27 AM

Nick wrote:
I am experimenting with some aerial designs and wondered if anyone
had used / knows whether
hot melt glue is good to seal and waterproof connections and its
electrical characteristics ?

Ordinary semi-translucent HMG is excellent for electrical sealing, both
indoors and outdoors, and has very good insulating and RF properties.

(I will just go and stick some in the microwave with a glass of
water and see if it melts ! )

HMG is chemically very similar to polyethylene, so it has very low
losses at 2.45GHz and all lower frequencies. That means you can use it
in almost any RF application where moulded polyethylene would be OK.

The only significant differences are mechanical. HMG is softer and more
flexible, and has a lower softening temperature, but those properties
also make it a better adhesive and sealant.

--

73 from Ian GM3SEK 'In Practice' columnist for RadCom (RSGB)
http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek

Nick June 9th 07 11:34 AM

"Ian White GM3SEK" wrote in message
Nick wrote:
[...]

Hi Ian,

Thanks for that input - I did put some in the microwave and it was
fine as you said, and I have wrapped / smeared
some around some 14 gauge Cu wire and bent it around and it adheres
remarkably well ! Any idea how it suffers UV ?

It only really needs to last a year or so as by then I am re-doing
aerials and things...

Thanks again,

Nick

Henry[_2_] June 9th 07 01:03 PM

Holt melt glue as potting agent ?

"Nick" schrieb im Newsbeitrag ...
| Thanks for that input - I did put some in the microwave and it was
| fine as you said, and I have wrapped / smeared
| some around some 14 gauge Cu wire and bent it around and it adheres
| remarkably well ! Any idea how it suffers UV ?
|
| It only really needs to last a year or so as by then I am re-doing
| aerials and things...

All plastics suffer from UV if they do not mixed with chemical stabilizers. Often that is ordinary carbon.
For a year lasting that should be of no problem.
Be aware, that the material will considerable soften above 80°C celsius.

I use it often. Cheap and of good value for money.

regards -
Henry

Ian White GM3SEK June 9th 07 02:14 PM

Nick wrote:

Thanks for that input - I did put some in the microwave and it was fine
as you said, and I have wrapped / smeared some around some 14 gauge Cu
wire and bent it around and it adheres remarkably well ! Any idea how
it suffers UV ?

Not bad at all - much better than epoxy, for example. It turns slightly
more opaque, but doesn't crack or peel.

It only really needs to last a year or so as by then I am re-doing
aerials and things...

You don't say where you are in the world, but in these latitudes ( low
and mid-50s) I've used it for several years without problems. For a year
or two, I'd guess it would be fine almost anywhere.

Nick June 9th 07 02:29 PM

Nick wrote:

Thanks for that input - I did put some in the microwave and it
was fine as you said, and I have wrapped / smeared some around
some 14 gauge Cu wire and bent it around and it adheres
remarkably well ! Any idea how it suffers UV ?

Not bad at all - much better than epoxy, for example. It turns
slightly more opaque, but doesn't crack or peel.

It only really needs to last a year or so as by then I am
re-doing aerials and things...

You don't say where you are in the world, but in these latitudes
( low and mid-50s) I've used it for several years without
problems. For a year or two, I'd guess it would be fine almost
anywhere.

Southern UK - Hampshire, and much of the time it is locked up in
the garage in the dark - so maybe a century ???

The other product I have found to work extremely well is Evo-Stick
impact adhesive... it seems to tolerate sun forever and is still a
little flexible
after years too - but as more fluid only really any good for thin
films / coatings...

Thanks,

Nick

Jimmie D June 9th 07 03:01 PM

"Nick" wrote in message
I am experimenting with some aerial designs and wondered if anyone had used
/ knows whether
hot melt glue is good to seal and waterproof connections and its
electrical characteristics ?

(I will just go and stick some in the microwave with a glass of water and
see if it melts ! )

Thanks,

Nick

I built a solidstste amp one time using isolated pad construction. The pads
were held in placing using guess what, hot glue. Upon appying drive to the
amp a lot of the hot glue melted because it was acting as the dielectic of a
capacitor.

Jimmie

Jim - NN7K June 10th 07 08:43 PM

Holt melt glue as potting agent ?

One other posibility , tho never tried it, is the
repair kit (fiberglass), for boat hulls, kind of
an epoxy resin, might also work, tho obviously
more expensive. Just a suggestion-- Jim NN7k