RadioBanter

-   -   Cleaning an aluminum antenna (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/120264-cleaning-aluminum-antenna.html)

Geoffrey S. Mendelson June 9th 07 07:00 PM

Cleaning an aluminum antenna

I have Cushraft 2m vertical antenna made out of aluminum. It has been
sitting out in the weather for 10 years and could use a good cleaning.

Anyone have any suggestions for common household products that would
do the job?

Thanks,

Geoff.
IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
Visit my 'blog at
http://geoffstechno.livejournal.com/

John Smith I June 9th 07 07:29 PM

Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
I have Cushraft 2m vertical antenna made out of aluminum. It has been
sitting out in the weather for 10 years and could use a good cleaning.

Anyone have any suggestions for common household products that would
do the job?

Thanks,

Geoff.

Lye; use great caution!

I would get some wet and dry (emery cloth type stuff), 600 grit or so
and apply a generous supply of "elbow grease."

End up with a very nice and SHINY antenna!

JS

Jimmie D June 9th 07 08:00 PM

"Geoffrey S. Mendelson" wrote in message
I have Cushraft 2m vertical antenna made out of aluminum. It has been
sitting out in the weather for 10 years and could use a good cleaning.

Anyone have any suggestions for common household products that would
do the job?

Thanks,

Geoff.
IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
Visit my 'blog at
http://geoffstechno.livejournal.com/

Mag wheel cleaner does a pretty good job. Wipe it on ,hose it off.

Bryan June 9th 07 08:46 PM

Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
I have Cushraft 2m vertical antenna made out of aluminum. It has been
sitting out in the weather for 10 years and could use a good cleaning.

Anyone have any suggestions for common household products that would
do the job?

Thanks,

Geoff.

John suggests lye (caustic soda). Jimmie suggests mag wheel cleaner
(diluted phosphoric acid). Both should be handled with appropriate gloves
and eye protection. I suggest you use Scotchbrite (or other scouring
implement) with soap & water... it works well for me.

Bryan WA7PRC

Jimmie D June 9th 07 09:45 PM

"Bryan" wrote in message
Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
I have Cushraft 2m vertical antenna made out of aluminum. It has been
sitting out in the weather for 10 years and could use a good cleaning.

Anyone have any suggestions for common household products that would
do the job?

Thanks,

Geoff.

John suggests lye (caustic soda). Jimmie suggests mag wheel cleaner
(diluted phosphoric acid). Both should be handled with appropriate gloves
and eye protection. I suggest you use Scotchbrite (or other scouring
implement) with soap & water... it works well for me.

Bryan WA7PRC

I agree, probably a better approach than the chemical methods. Just the last
time I did it I had a can o fwheel cleaner laying around and had to try it

Jimmie

[email protected] June 9th 07 10:17 PM

Cleaning an aluminum antenna

no fear
vinegar and baking soda

Tom Ring June 11th 07 12:36 AM

Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
I have Cushraft 2m vertical antenna made out of aluminum. It has been
sitting out in the weather for 10 years and could use a good cleaning.

Anyone have any suggestions for common household products that would
do the job?

Thanks,

Geoff.

Cameo Aluminum and Stainless Steel Cleaner. Available in many grocery
stores. Used with Scotchbrite pads it does an amazing job.

tom
K0TAR

[email protected] June 13th 07 12:00 AM

On Jun 10, 4:00 am, (Geoffrey S. Mendelson) wrote:
I have Cushraft 2m vertical antenna made out of aluminum. It has been
sitting out in the weather for 10 years and could use a good cleaning.

Anyone have any suggestions for common household products that would
do the job?

Thanks,

Geoff.
IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
Visit my 'blog athttp://geoffstechno.livejournal.com/

hi Geof, i have always uses a nebch-grinder with a wire wheel,it will
clean up the alluminium like new .....or even steel wool will do the
trick ....

bob vk4la