RadioBanter

-   -   Beverage Ant. at ShortWave freq. (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/120352-beverage-ant-shortwave-freq.html)

amdx June 11th 07 04:10 PM

Beverage Ant. at ShortWave freq.

Are beverage antennas useful at 10Mhz (length adjusted for frequency).
Do they still have the same pattern?
Do you still place them 6 to 10ft off the ground?
Still the same termination resistance and input impedance?
Thanks for the info.
Mike

Richard Clark June 11th 07 06:03 PM

On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 10:10:02 -0500, "amdx" wrote:

Are beverage antennas useful at 10Mhz (length adjusted for frequency).
Do they still have the same pattern?
Do you still place them 6 to 10ft off the ground?
Still the same termination resistance and input impedance?

Hi Mike,

The characteristics are largely due to the proximity of earth, and its
conductive property which in HF is quite different from the original
design for LF. Having said that, there's not much you can do to alter
earth's conductivity over a long stretch (well, I suppose you could
try....) and the convention of a long, low antenna will still give you
some benefit - maybe - it needs only trying to determine.

The termination can be ignored unless you absolutely demand end-fire
performance (from one end, otherwise it is end-fire at both ends).

Here is a citation and discussion from my recent research in this
matter:
History of Radio, Gleason Archer
621.38409
pg. 121
"Ernst F. W. Alexanderson's Multiple Tuned Antenna for Marconi at
New Brunswick used six tuned down-wires at regular intervals along
a mile long antenna to increase its gain ten-fold"
pg. 140
"Along with a 200KW Alexanderson alternator, this was in 1918 the
strongest transmitter in the world, capable of being heard on
portable radios in the field."
pg. 146-147
"Harold H. Beverage & Anti-static tuned antennas with Chester W.
Rice.
'The Barrage Receiver'
Using a 10 mile long wire on the ground, they eliminated static
originating in the Caribbean that masked European signals."

Some may recognize Arthur's "Gaussian Array" in Alexanderson's design
(as certainly Arthur would not) and even more how the Yagi's
improvement consigned that array's fate to oblivion. Mike, you may
want to experiment with these tuned down-wires for yourself if you
choose to dabble with the Beverage. The 10 mile long wire on the
ground might be replaced with the standard resistor if you want to
build your own Barrage antenna.

In the course of some dozen years of correspondence here, I have never
seen any attributions to Alexanderson or Rice or their techniques.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Richard Clark June 11th 07 06:07 PM

Beverage Ant. at ShortWave freq.

On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 10:03:55 -0700, Richard Clark
wrote:

In the course of some dozen years of correspondence here, I have never
seen any attributions to Alexanderson or Rice or their techniques.

For more researcher's of the first two decades of Radio antenna
design, consult:
Ferdinand Braun
F. Kiebitz
J. Murgas
J. Harris Rogers
A.A. Hall
G.G. Blake
and
Gleason Archer

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Yuri Blanarovich June 12th 07 02:31 AM

"amdx" wrote in message
Are beverage antennas useful at 10Mhz (length adjusted for frequency).
Do they still have the same pattern?
Do you still place them 6 to 10ft off the ground?
Still the same termination resistance and input impedance?
Thanks for the info.
Mike

Mike,
the same rules for Beverage construction and use apply at 10 MHz, they are
being used with benefit on 14 MHz by contest stations.

Impedance for precise matching and termination should be measured for
particular setup - depends on height, ground conductivity.

For low angle performance length of 2 - 4 wavelength gives narrower beam.
For cleaner lobes phased or staggered configuration is preferred.

Yuri, K3BU.us

John Smith I June 12th 07 05:47 AM

amdx wrote:
Are beverage antennas useful at 10Mhz (length adjusted for frequency).
Do they still have the same pattern?
Do you still place them 6 to 10ft off the ground?
Still the same termination resistance and input impedance?
Thanks for the info.
Mike

The only reason I have never liked an antenna that terminates in a
carbon resistance? Or, a resistor constructed in a manner to eliminate
capacitance and inductive reactance?

Well, it simply looks too much like the dummy load I use now and then ...

Why go to all that work (generating a good wave) just to heat the
environment?

JS

Yuri Blanarovich June 12th 07 12:13 PM

"John Smith I" wrote in message
amdx wrote:
Are beverage antennas useful at 10Mhz (length adjusted for frequency).
Do they still have the same pattern?
Do you still place them 6 to 10ft off the ground?
Still the same termination resistance and input impedance?
Thanks for the info.
Mike

The only reason I have never liked an antenna that terminates in a carbon
resistance? Or, a resistor constructed in a manner to eliminate
capacitance and inductive reactance?

Well, it simply looks too much like the dummy load I use now and then ...

Why go to all that work (generating a good wave) just to heat the
environment?

JS

This should compete for the honors in the category of most ignorant
statement of the month :-)

Some study of traveling wave antennas and reception techniques should be in
order.

Beverage type of antennas allow to hear stuff that other "miraculous"
antennas can't touch especially on low bands.

See www.TeslaRadio.org and click on PHOTOS and W8LRL to see some 3000 ft
phased and staggered "dummy loads".

73 Yuri, K3BU.us

amdx June 12th 07 12:15 PM

amdx wrote:
Are beverage antennas useful at 10Mhz (length adjusted for frequency).
Do they still have the same pattern?
Do you still place them 6 to 10ft off the ground?
Still the same termination resistance and input impedance?
Thanks for the info.
Mike

The only reason I have never liked an antenna that terminates in a carbon
resistance? Or, a resistor constructed in a manner to eliminate
capacitance and inductive reactance?

Well, it simply looks too much like the dummy load I use now and then ...

Why go to all that work (generating a good wave) just to heat the
environment?

Signal to noise ratio.
Mike

Cecil Moore[_2_] June 12th 07 02:07 PM

John Smith I wrote:
Well, it simply looks too much like the dummy load I use now and then ...
Why go to all that work (generating a good wave) just to heat the
environment?

If the gain in the desired direction is unaffected
and the gain in the undesired direction is reduced,
what is the downside?
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com

Dave Heil June 12th 07 03:44 PM

Cecil Moore wrote:
John Smith I wrote:
Well, it simply looks too much like the dummy load I use now and then ...
Why go to all that work (generating a good wave) just to heat the
environment?

If the gain in the desired direction is unaffected
and the gain in the undesired direction is reduced,
what is the downside?

"John" seems to be telling us that it is an increased carbon footprint. :-)

Dave K8MN

John Smith I June 12th 07 04:53 PM

Cecil Moore wrote:

If the gain in the desired direction is unaffected
and the gain in the undesired direction is reduced,
what is the downside?

Cecil:

I didn't imply that there was not a desirable phenomenon occurring with
this antenna, just that the sheer idea of wasting any amount of rf in a
lossy component was repugnant to me ... and, if I were to run a vlf or
ulf xmitter, I'd probably have to reconsider and run one. These days it
is 80m for late night chats, and usually shf.

Regards,
JS