RadioBanter

-   -   80+40 MTR Dipole (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/122484-80-40-mtr-dipole.html)

Howard Kowall July 30th 07 03:37 PM

80+40 MTR Dipole

I have just built a 80 mtr dipole c/w 1:1 balun ,feed with RG8X coax
works great, really dont even need a tuner(which i am trying to get away
from)
here is what i want to do.I would like to get 40mtrs on it,without using
tuner,so I want to use a couple of latching realys to open the dipole up at
the 40 mtr section of the dipole,1 relay for each leg.
I want to use latching relays so they do not have to be energized when i am
on 80mtr portion or viseversa if i use the normally closed contact.I was
going to feed 1 end of the realy coil from the sheild of the coax and run 1
wire for the other side of the coil to my switch point.Does anyone have a
better idea on how to do this or is this all a waste of time.If this is ok
to do and worth it does anyone have a realy PRT# I could use,I only run 100
watts max
Also i have tried to strap on a 40mtr dipole to the 80mtr and the 40 would
not tune at all and I dont have the room to run the 40mtr dipole away from
the 80mtr
thanx
Howard
VE4ISP

Wayne July 30th 07 07:43 PM

80+40 MTR Dipole

"Howard Kowall" wrote in message
[...]

I found this very interesting:
http://www.w5dxp.com/notuner.htm

and has the advantage that the switching is not in the antenna elements.

Denny July 30th 07 10:38 PM

80+40 MTR Dipole

On Jul 30, 2:43 pm, "Wayne" wrote:
[...]

and has the advantage that the switching is not in the antenna elements.- Hide quoted text -

If you ask Cecil 'pretty please' he will even explain it to you on
here...

denny / k8do

Ron in Radio Heaven[_2_] July 30th 07 11:25 PM

80+40 MTR Dipole

If you cut resonate dipoles for 40 and 80 meters,
attach them to the same center insulator and
feed with coax,all you have to do is either have
the 40 meter wires angled down more under the 80 meter
wires, or pulled off at an angle.
It won't bee very wide banded, but it'll
work without a tuner.
This type works great for AM since most AM activity
is near the same frequency on each band.

73, Ron kc4oy

Mike Kaliski July 31st 07 02:03 AM

80+40 MTR Dipole

Since you're top posting...
Try to aim for a couple of feet of separation from the 80 metre antenna at
the ends of the 40 metre elements. If you have to run the elements in
parallel, around 9 inches of separation along the entire length of the 40
metre elements would do. The elements will interact with each other to some
extent, depending on how close the spacing is. You might want to check on
how to construct a trap dipole if you really only want a single wire element
up in the air and no tuners. A Google check will reveal hundreds of sites
with design and construction data.
Mike G0ULI

Cecil Moore[_2_] July 31st 07 04:50 PM

80+40 MTR Dipole

Wayne wrote:
I found this very interesting:
http://www.w5dxp.com/notuner.htm
and has the advantage that the switching is not in the antenna elements.

Here's another idea for a 80/40 dual band dipole.

http://www.w5dxp.com/HEDZ.htm
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com

charlie July 31st 07 09:28 PM

80+40 MTR Dipole

Howard Kowall wrote:
so how much distance between the 80 and 40 is 3" enough
thanx
howard

"Ron in Radio Heaven" wrote in message
If you cut resonate dipoles for 40 and 80 meters,
attach them to the same center insulator and
feed with coax,all you have to do is either have
the 40 meter wires angled down more under the 80 meter
wires, or pulled off at an angle.
It won't bee very wide banded, but it'll
work without a tuner.
This type works great for AM since most AM activity
is near the same frequency on each band.

73, Ron kc4oy

When tuning the dipoles start with the lowest band first. I have a
set of dipoles as suggested but mine are for 40m through to 6m.

Charlie.

--
M0WYM
www.radiowymsey.org

Sal M. Onella August 1st 07 06:20 AM

80+40 MTR Dipole

[...]

My friend K6SJA described an elegant approach to this problem, so no, it's
not a waste of time.

At the two points where you need to open the elements, insert pull-chain
operated switches. Home Depot has them -- I just bought a couple of them
this month for use in lighting fixtures. Each switch can be rigidly mounted
to a flat fiber insulator and the pull-chains extended with twine through
pulleys near one or both of the antenna's end supports. (This way, you're
not pulling straight down in the middle of the elements and maybe breaking
something.) Whether to operate both switches from one end of the antenna is
your choice.

I don't know max power tolerance. I suppose if you cooked one switch, you
could next try two.

Besides the rather smallish Home Depot switches, I have seen beefier
versions that were built into lamp sockets.

73, OM

"Sal"

Cecil Moore[_2_] August 1st 07 02:45 PM

80+40 MTR Dipole

Sal M. Onella wrote:
At the two points where you need to open the elements, insert pull-chain
operated switches.

My approach, in the early 50's, was not elegant but
it worked and it was fast. I had insulators at the
mid-point of each leg of the 80m dipole with a jumper
wire across them for 80m operation. The dipole was
on pulleys. It only took about three minutes to let
the dipole down, either attach or unattach one end
of the jumper wires, and pull the dipole back up.
Making 50 cents an hour working at Carter's Grocery
on Saturday limited my resources. :-)
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com