RadioBanter

-   -   diople help (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/1250-diople-help.html)

Steve Trook February 15th 04 07:50 AM

diople help

Soon to be new to HF. I need help in choosing a dipole. I want to work
10-80 meters but low on space.....any ideas? help??

Bob Miller February 15th 04 02:22 PM

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 07:50:58 GMT, "Steve Trook"
wrote:

Soon to be new to HF. I need help in choosing a dipole. I want to work
10-80 meters but low on space.....any ideas? help??

See the March 2004 QST article on the "classic multi-band dipole."

Also, the ARRL Antenna Handbook will give you a lot of ideas.

bob
k5qwg

nick smith February 15th 04 02:38 PM

Or a vertical with an SGC at the bottom with some counterpoise / earth rods
or an inverted V with an SGC at the centre and wires sloping down to a
few feet off the ground.
Not related to SGC other than as an impressed customer of some time
and have two others to whom I have suggested this who are equally
impressed for an aerial of modest dimensions

Nick

Cecil Moore February 15th 04 03:10 PM

Steve Trook wrote:
Soon to be new to HF. I need help in choosing a dipole. I want to work
10-80 meters but low on space.....any ideas? help??

The G5RV length, 102 feet, will work on 75m-10m fed with ladder-line through
a balanced tuner. Another idea is to put up a 50-66 ft dipole center fed with
ladder-line for 40m-10m. Short the two lines together at the tuner output for
75m. This is called feeding it Marconi style and requires a counterpoise. The
ARRL Antenna Book contains a wealth of information (most of it valid :-).
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Reg Edwards February 15th 04 03:12 PM

I need help in choosing a dipole. I want to work
10-80 meters but low on space.....any ideas? help??

Install the longest and highest dipole which will fit comfortably into your
back yard and feed it preferably via open-wire line, or via 450-ohms
ladder-line.

If very short of length extend the dipole by converting it into an
inverted-U.

Feedline of no particular length. Allow a little exra just in case. Use a
simple choke balun between feedline and tuner.

And you will have the best all-directional, nearly-all-band dipole for your
particular circumstances.

(Myself, I prefer to use an end-fed inverted-L. It allows 160m to be used.)
----
Reg.

Tarmo Tammaru February 15th 04 05:13 PM

A side benefit of the trap dipole is that the traps act as loading coils on
the lower bands, and the antenna will be shorter than a dipole cut for the
lowest frequency. On 80 meters, unless you are talking about CW, ask
yourself if you really want it. Do some listening, and pay attention to what
power people are running. A 10 -40 antenna will be half the size.

Tam/WB2TT
wrote:

Soon to be new to HF. I need help in choosing a dipole. I want to work
10-80 meters but low on space.....any ideas? help??

If you don't need wide bandwidth, a trap dipole is simple and works
well. I use a W9INN type and am happy with it. 80 meter bandwidth is
pretty narrow, but if you focus on either CW or SSB, not both, it will
do.

If you want to go to a bit more trouble, install separate dipoles for
each band and use a remote switching device such as that made by MFJ.
The dipoles do not have to be straight; the ends can be bent to fit the
area and will do fine.

--
73, Bill W6WRT
QSLs via LoTW

Mr Dygi February 15th 04 05:17 PM

Bob Miller wrote in
:

ARRL Antenna Handbook will give you a lot of ideas.

Is it accessible online? Any link?

--
pzdr. Szynter Krzysztof GG#1027078
mail.to: dygimail(at)poczta(dot)fm

Cecil Moore February 15th 04 06:39 PM

Mr Dygi wrote:

Bob Miller wrote:
ARRL Antenna Handbook will give you a lot of ideas.

Is it accessible online? Any link?

You must think the ARRL is a non-profit organization. :-)

Perhaps, this URL will give you some ideas: http://www.cebik.com/
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Phillip Jockell February 15th 04 08:49 PM

Let me take the opportunity.

This web page is THE standard for antenna information
(www.cebik.com.)

This person has made a real contribution to ham radio.
Wish I understood a third of the great knowlege shown
here.

Thank you Mr. Moore.

Phil - N4GWV

Cecil Moore wrote in
:

Mr Dygi February 15th 04 09:05 PM

Cecil Moore wrote in
:

You must think the ARRL is a non-profit organization. :-)

I am looking for information about building antenna's (the simplest models)
as much as am looking for free downloadable books for newbies.

Perhaps, this URL will give you some ideas: http://www.cebik.com/

Thanks