Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old October 16th 07, 10:02 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Ferrite Chokes: What is the maximum impedance that can be obtained?

The best way to ask my question is to use a thought experiment.

Imagine I have a bucket of ferrite rings. Assume that the permeability
and other material properties of each ring is such that I get about
100 Ohms of resistive loss for one turn through a ring at 144 MHz.

Now assume I have 19" whip on top of a car connected to a 144 MHz
transmitter. If I slip one ring over the whip and let it down to the
bottom feedpoint, it will attenuate the signal by adding 100 Ohms in
series with the feed of the antenna which otherwise would look like
about 30 Ohms. That seems clear and seems to agree with common sense
and observations.

Now if I stack up 20 ferrite rings on the antenna, if we analyze each
ring as a lumped element we would have 2000 Ohms in series and
essentially an open circuit and little current or power will flow.

However this does not pass the common sense test. Common sense says
the ferrite tube will absorb the energy from the antenna and
potentially will get hot and that the feedpoint Z of the antenna will
NOT raise indefinitely with more and more ferrites but rather it seems
it would level out to some value. We need to use distributed rather
than lumped analysis.

Bottom line question... How to determine the feedpoint Z of a wire
that is inside a ferrite tube?

thanks
Mark

ABOUT - RF Noise (RFI/EMF) and Ferrite Chokes plus More Reading . . . RHF Shortwave 3 October 29th 05 09:38 AM
What are ferrite core chokes to improve radio reception? HankG Shortwave 0 September 25th 05 12:39 PM
Ferrite chokes. Nacho Shortwave 7 June 29th 04 11:45 PM
FS: snap on RFI chokes ferrite suppressors Radiodan-W7RF Boatanchors 0 January 30th 04 07:55 AM
FS: snap on RFI chokes ferrite suppressors Radiodan-W7RF Swap 0 January 30th 04 07:55 AM