RadioBanter

-   -   Low Noise receiving Loop antenna (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/127238-low-noise-receiving-loop-antenna.html)

[email protected] November 18th 07 02:08 AM

Low Noise receiving Loop antenna

On Nov 17, 7:51 pm, Tony Giacometti wrote:

This link was the guide I used to build the loop, I am only using the 80
meter loop.

http://www.qsl.net/kc2tx/

Without the preamp I do get a noise spike when I tune the cap.
Its very noticeable also.

I would have thought that the signals I have heard would be much louder
especially using the preamp.

They will be down, but the overall s/n ratio is what really counts.

I have 2 different types of preamps and they both behave the same way.

For what its worth, I have never considered just plain wire for the loop.
I do use coax RG-6 - its all I can get, no RG-59 around here.
Another ham mentioned to me that using 75 ohm hardline would be the best.
None of that stuff here either.

Type of coax should matter little if any.. Hardline would be a waste
of time I would think.

I am beginning to think my feedline could be a problem. I can replace that
stuff rather easily.

Not unless you have a common mode/ noise pickup problem.
And changing to another run of coax alone is unlikely to help that.

I like your idea of a separate coupling loop.

Any idea what the loop would need to be electrically and physically?
Do I need to change my tuning cap if I change to a coupling loop?

No. The main loop will still be tuned to the same frequency, no
matter if direct fed, or with a coupling loop. Many people build BC
loops and use the ferrite bar antennas in the portable radios
themselves to couple to the loop. But my radios are not portables,
so I use a coupling loop fed with coax.

MK

Owen Duffy November 18th 07 05:16 AM

Low Noise receiving Loop antenna

Tony Giacometti wrote in
news:sO2dnUZbkeShCaLanZ2dnUVZ_v2pnZ2d@hawaiiantel. net:

Owen Duffy wrote:

Owen Duffy wrote in
:

It is questionable whether the parallel tuned circuit is an efficient
coupling method for a low Z receiver.

I am able to get a noise peak tuning the capacitor and the preamps I
use are supposed to be a match from approx 25 ohms to about 125 ohms.

Tony,

I have written a program to solve for transmission loss from the source
being the emf induced into the electrically small loop through to the 50
ohm receiver load on the output. The program models the transmission line
stub on one side of the loop gap, and the transmission line on the other
side to the tuning capacitor and 50 ohm load.

I need to do some more checking, but the program results support my
proposition that parallel "tuning" is not an efficient coupling.

The only way to ensure a near 50 ohm receiver for test purposes is to put
a 10dB 50ohm attenuator in front of it. If you are able to do such, does
the receiver noise peak with the loop tuning capacitor at minimum C?

Owen

Owen Duffy November 18th 07 07:25 AM

Low Noise receiving Loop antenna

Owen Duffy wrote in
:

Expected ambient noise level from a lossless antenna in 2kHz at 3.6MHz
should be around -82.9+33dBm or -49.9dBm. The 80m loop gain is about -
47dBi, so expected receive level would be -97dBm which is some 40dB
above your receiver noise floor.

That is wrong, the 82.9dBm was for 2kHz bandwidth, and I should not have
added the 33dB bandwidth factor... it is a double count.

So the receive level would be -82.9 -47 or -129dBm which would be just 10dB
above the receiver noise floor... in the ballpark of what you measured
Tony.

Sorry for the bum steer.

I am still working on a more detailed model, and it will drive the gain
figure downwards a bit.

Owen

Tony Giacometti November 18th 07 09:14 AM

wrote:

On Nov 17, 7:51 pm, Tony Giacometti wrote:

This link was the guide I used to build the loop, I am only using the 80
meter loop.

http://www.qsl.net/kc2tx/

Without the preamp I do get a noise spike when I tune the cap.
Its very noticeable also.

I would have thought that the signals I have heard would be much louder
especially using the preamp.

They will be down, but the overall s/n ratio is what really counts.

I have 2 different types of preamps and they both behave the same way.

For what its worth, I have never considered just plain wire for the loop.
I do use coax RG-6 - its all I can get, no RG-59 around here.
Another ham mentioned to me that using 75 ohm hardline would be the best.
None of that stuff here either.

the hardline would be used for the loop, sorry if I didn't make that clear.

Type of coax should matter little if any.. Hardline would be a waste
of time I would think.

I am beginning to think my feedline could be a problem. I can replace
that stuff rather easily.

Not unless you have a common mode/ noise pickup problem.
And changing to another run of coax alone is unlikely to help that.

I had a defective run of coax running to an antenna.
Not sure if I mistakenly used it for the loop.

I like your idea of a separate coupling loop.

Any idea what the loop would need to be electrically and physically?
Do I need to change my tuning cap if I change to a coupling loop?

No. The main loop will still be tuned to the same frequency, no
matter if direct fed, or with a coupling loop. Many people build BC
loops and use the ferrite bar antennas in the portable radios
themselves to couple to the loop. But my radios are not portables,
so I use a coupling loop fed with coax.

MK

how do I calculate the dimensions of the coupling loop?

Tony Giacometti November 18th 07 09:27 AM

Low Noise receiving Loop antenna

Roy Lewallen wrote:

Tony Giacometti wrote:

Roy, you scared the daylights out of me for a minute,

By the way, any idea why this loop might be under performing?

Well, first of all, I think the problem might be your expectations.

maybe I just don't know what to expect with this loop.
Having never heard one perform I have no idea if this loop is doing what its
supposed to be doing.

small loop has a very broad pattern, with a couple of very narrow and
deep nulls. If you have noise coming from a very narrow angular region,
you can use a loop to null it out. But if it's coming from the wiring in
a neighbor's house, is getting on the power lines, or otherwise comes
from a range of angles, the loop won't help. If the noise is getting
into your house via the mains wiring, then the loop will probably make
things worse compared to an outside antenna, since it's closer to at
least one source of the noise.

I powered my receiver and a few other items on a battery backup, switched
all the power off in my home and nothing changed. The noise was still
there.
Funny though, everynite between 8:30 and 9:30pm the noise reduces by half.
I keep watching my neighbors homes to see if I can tell if someone is
turning something off but no clues yet.

And this does seem to be the case. Although you didn't say in so many
words, it sounds like the signal/noise ratio is worse when using the
loop than when using the outside antenna. If so, then the last couple of
sentences in the above paragraph apply.

no, the noise is worse on the transmitting antenna.
the noise on the loop is very low, and if I rotate it I can sometimes make
the noise increase as it points along the plane of the loop at something in
the neighborhood. The loop does reduce the noise but the signals are very
weak and sometimes difficult to copy.

In a recent posting you say the noise level comes up substantially when
you connect the loop, so you can quit worrying about your receiver noise
figure in my opinion -- and with it, the AGC operation, S-meter
calibration, and so forth. It means that external noise is considerably
louder than receiver noise. You can also quit worrying about how many
turns. A preamp, or even an audio amplifier connected to the receiver
output, will make both signals and noise louder, in the same ratio, if
they're not loud enough to hear.

So the only thing which can be wrong with the loop that you can't fix
with a little amplification is that maybe it's poorly balanced so the
nulls aren't what they should be.

The nulls are well defined considering what I am using.
I have the loop about as far away as I can get it from my home and 2 others
right now. when I rotate it where it is now vs. where it was 2 weeks ago its
not very noisy.

The only way I know of to test for
this is to rotate the loop when listening to a distant station or a
small battery powered signal source -- something coming from only one
direction. You should be able to null it out pretty effectively. If you
can't, the problem might be loop construction or it might be proximity
of other conductors warping the pattern. If you can successfully null
out point-source signals, then the loop is performing as it should. And
if that's not good enough, then a loop isn't the solution to your problem.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

The loop does reduce the noise, but the signals I want to hear are not very
loud even with the preamp. This is what the problem is.

Tony Giacometti November 18th 07 09:29 AM

Low Noise receiving Loop antenna

Owen Duffy wrote:

Owen Duffy wrote in
:

Expected ambient noise level from a lossless antenna in 2kHz at 3.6MHz
should be around -82.9+33dBm or -49.9dBm. The 80m loop gain is about -
47dBi, so expected receive level would be -97dBm which is some 40dB
above your receiver noise floor.

That is wrong, the 82.9dBm was for 2kHz bandwidth, and I should not have
added the 33dB bandwidth factor... it is a double count.

So the receive level would be -82.9 -47 or -129dBm which would be just
10dB above the receiver noise floor... in the ballpark of what you
measured Tony.

Sorry for the bum steer.

I am still working on a more detailed model, and it will drive the gain
figure downwards a bit.

Owen

you had me worried.........

Tony Giacometti November 18th 07 09:31 AM

Owen Duffy wrote:

Tony Giacometti wrote in
news:sO2dnUZbkeShCaLanZ2dnUVZ_v2pnZ2d@hawaiiantel. net:

Owen Duffy wrote:

Owen Duffy wrote in
:

[...]

I dont have access to an attenuator or anything that would work as one.
Right now the loop gets max noise with about 2/3 max capacitance.

Tony Giacometti November 18th 07 10:00 AM

Low Noise receiving Loop antenna

wrote:

On Nov 17, 7:31 pm, Tony Giacometti wrote:

I am thinking I should take another look at the receiver and make sure it
does'nt have something strange going on.

I do appreciate your input.

You are getting a peak so the loop is tuned.. I doubt the
receiver is the problem, or you wouldn't hear the noise
peak. So it's down to pretty much what Roy just said at this
point. You need to check the nulls. And if the noise
is multiple sources, it can only do one at a time, unless
two are in the same exact direction, or exactly 180 apart.
So it might, or might not do what you want.
The null should be very sharp. Just a slight movement
can cause quite a change in the depth of the null
on a local noise source, so the aim has to be near
perfect for best results.
MK

this is the part that tells me it may be working ok, but the signals even
with the preamp are very low. Some I can't hear at all on the loop but on
the transmitting antenna the signal is there but covered by the S7-9 noise
level.

I have this feeling I don't know what I am supposed to experience from a
working loop.

Anyone have a mp3 file which can show what happens using a loop?

Right now I am hearing very few stations on the loop amd not a one more than
a S5, with an S1 noise level. I hear a couple stations in the SS contest
from the west coast S5 on the loop no noise to be heard, on the
transmitting antenna S6 noise level and the same west coast station S7

I can hear the stations he is working but not well enough to work either on
the loop or the transmitting antenna. The stations he is working are in the
noise and I know they are there.

Does this sound right?

Tony Giacometti November 18th 07 10:01 AM

Owen Duffy wrote:

Tony Giacometti wrote in
news:sO2dnUZbkeShCaLanZ2dnUVZ_v2pnZ2d@hawaiiantel. net:

I believe this should work, but for some reason not like I thought it
would.

Tony, I have described a simple untuned loop for field strength
measurement. The article is at
http://www.vk1od.net/SmallUntunedSquareLoop/index.htm . The sensitivity
of the loop is sufficient that external noise on 3.6MHz is much greater
than the receiver internal noise, ie S/N of signals on the band will be
about as good as they can be, a higher gain antenna will increase the S
meter reading, but not improve S/N ignoring the effects of noise blankers
and noise reduction. The predicted performance has been confirmed by
comparison to a calibrated EMC measurement loop.

The purpose of tuning a loop is preselection and / or better impedance
matching to improve gain (by reducing loss).

The purpose of shielding a loop is for better balance to achieve deeper
nulls, but shielding isn't the only way, nor the best way necessarily.
Roy mentioned that.

Try a simple untuned loop, the balun is REAL important (for deep nulls),
see how it works then see if you can get the improved version to work. It
is questionable whether the shielded loop construction is a real
improvement, it brings some loss elements (the s/c stub loss, the line
loss in the other half the loop) to the design, losses that be worse than
a balun.

Owen

Its late here, 11:37pm - I will look this over in the morning. Thank You

Just for your info, the loop ends when pointed east-west I get S meter
reading of 3.5
when pointed north-south I get S1 I believe this tell me the noise is
either east or west of the antenna location.
When I had the loop on the other side of the property I got an S5 noise
reading in the same direction.
I believe either one of 3 houses might be the culprit, maybe they will go
away for the holiday and I will be able to make a better determination as
to who the bad guy is.

Owen Duffy November 18th 07 10:02 AM

news:NNydnfODM_iOB6LanZ2dnUVZ_r6rnZ2d@hawaiiantel. net:

For what its worth, I have never considered just plain wire for the
loop. I do use coax RG-6 - its all I can get, no RG-59 around here.

Did I miss something. I did see you refer us to a web page that described
the loop using RG59... and now you tell us you used RG6. You might not yet
know it, they are different, and the difference is relevant.

Owen

Highland Ham November 18th 07 03:36 PM

Low Noise receiving Loop antenna

Hi Tom, heres the link to the loop I built.

http://www.qsl.net/kc2tx/

I only built the 80 meter loop not both.

============================
Interesting loop(s) Is there any significance in using RG59 (75 Ohms)
coax, rather than RG58 (50 Ohms) ?

Frank GM0CSZ / KN6WH

Richard Clark November 18th 07 05:14 PM

Low Noise receiving Loop antenna

On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 23:14:01 -1000, Tony Giacometti
wrote:

No. The main loop will still be tuned to the same frequency, no
matter if direct fed, or with a coupling loop. Many people build BC
loops and use the ferrite bar antennas in the portable radios
themselves to couple to the loop.

how do I calculate the dimensions of the coupling loop?

Hi Tony,

It has 1/5 the diameter and is a single, shorted loop.

Please don't try to make it more elaborate than it should be. One
wire, in a loop, connected to the other side of the feed (i.e. the
wire runs from the center conductor, 'round the circumference, to the
outer conductor).

Of course, this demands that the bigger loop be equally, simply
described. It too is one piece of wire, turned in a circle, each end
connecting to the resonating capacitor. In this case, you want to
optimize for the lowest Ohmic connections and materials. This may
suggest hardline, but, please, don't think of using the inner
conductor for anything at all - that is a waste of time. You could as
easily use copper tubing.

You can put more effort into it, but it will reward you only in the
sense of being the owner of a fine piece of furniture.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Richard Harrison November 18th 07 06:21 PM

Tony Giacometti wrote:
"How do I calculate the dimensions of the coupling loop?"

You might try to make the radiation pesistance of the loop match the
feedline.

Arnold B. Bailey 0n page 400 of "TV and Other Receiving Antennas" gives
an approximate squation:

R = 197 L to the fourth power for L 0,08 wavelengths.

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI

[email protected] November 18th 07 07:25 PM

On Nov 18, 4:00 am, Tony Giacometti wrote:

I have this feeling I don't know what I am supposed to experience from a
working loop.

Anyone have a mp3 file which can show what happens using a loop?

Here is one I did in 2002 comparing my 16 inch circle loop
vs my T vertical on the BC band.

I did a few quick comparisons between a 16 inch loop, and my "T"
vertical, which is about 42 ft tall, with a 120 ft long flat top wire.
It's pretty hot on MW. The radio was my ic-706mk2g. I'll let the
recordings speak for themselves.
You can click on the URl for the sound files, and your media player
"should" bring them right up and start playing. Hopefully anyway...

I did three tests, on three different frequencies, at different times
in the evening. I'm in Houston, and used mainly San Antonio as the
"target" city. "good 200 miles away" I recorded each test. I did
compress the audio greatly to save d/l time, but the audio is still
good enough to tell which is best. The files are pretty small and will
d/l quickly. They were huge files in the original sample rate and
format...I will "narrate" each test, so you will know which antenna
was used, and the exact times I switched. You can use the counter in
the media player to keep track of the time.

Test #1 was at about 7:30 PM on 550 kc.
http://home.comcast.net/~nm5k/mwtest1.mpeg
"Time in seconds"
0-13 -----loop
13-26 -----wire
26-38 -----loop
At 38 seconds I nulled the station, so you can hear the null.
46 -----loop, back pointed to the station
57-69 -----wire
69-end -----loop

Test #2 was at about 8:00 PM on 680 kc.
http://home.comcast.net/~nm5k/mwtest2.mpeg
"Time in seconds"
0-11 -----loop
11-23 -----wire
At 37 seconds I nulled the station
46 -----back pointed to the station
55-67 -----wire
67-end -----loop

Test #3 was at about 9:00 PM on 570 kc. Multiple stations on this
freq...
http://home.comcast.net/~nm5k/mwtest3.mpeg
"Time in seconds"
0-10 ----loop
10-23 ----wire
23-37 ----loop
37-48 ----wire
At 62 seconds, I turn the loop 90 degrees to get a totally different
station.
At 74, I turned back to the first station.
85 ----turned back to 2nd station again
91 ----back to the first

Here is another one on the BC where I turn the loop to null the
station.
http://home.comcast.net/~nm5k/mwtest4.mpeg
At first the station is nulled, and you can hear
a Mexican station in the background. At about 12 seconds,
I turn to the desired station. At 20 seconds I switch to
the T vertical. At 30 seconds I go back to the loop.
At 40 seconds, I null the station again.

Right now I am hearing very few stations on the loop amd not a one more than
a S5, with an S1 noise level. I hear a couple stations in the SS contest
from the west coast S5 on the loop no noise to be heard, on the
transmitting antenna S6 noise level and the same west coast station S7

I can hear the stations he is working but not well enough to work either on
the loop or the transmitting antenna. The stations he is working are in the
noise and I know they are there.

Does this sound right?

Probably so. I haven't found the loops to be that great for pulling
out weak stations on 160m. The success will depend on the level
of noise you are able to cut, vs the strength of the desired station.
This is why I'm playing with beverages a bit out in the country.
I'm not sure how this will pan out, as in general changing the
size of the loop should keep an equal s/n ratio, but some claim
better 160m weak signal use if you use the largest loop you
can manage..

I was able to dig up one 160m file, but it's not for nulling
comparisons.
It's just comparing the general noise received comparing
the full size dipole, vs the loop.
http://home.comcast.net/~nm5k/dpvloop.mpeg
This is pretty much all close NVIS type signals..
Starts on the loop, and switches back and forth.
You can tell which is the loop.. Much quieter
background noise. It takes my AGC a second
to adapt..
It's no good for showing nulls, but it does show
the signal level I get from the small 16 inch loop
using no preamp at all.
None of those clips use a preamp. I've never used
a preamp on small loops yet.. I prefer to avoid a
preamp if possible.. :/

I was going to record a current file nulling line
noise, but I don't have any noise at the moment.. :/
I use the loops for BC band use more than
anything. But both do tune 160m, and I use
it for that band when I want to kill some noise.

MK

Tony Giacometti November 18th 07 08:46 PM

Owen Duffy wrote:

Tony Giacometti wrote in
news:NNydnfODM_iOB6LanZ2dnUVZ_r6rnZ2d@hawaiiantel. net:

For what its worth, I have never considered just plain wire for the
loop. I do use coax RG-6 - its all I can get, no RG-59 around here.

Did I miss something. I did see you refer us to a web page that described
the loop using RG59... and now you tell us you used RG6. You might not yet
know it, they are different, and the difference is relevant.

Owen

I looked at the specs for both cables and the difference is very small.
Thats why I used RG-6, I have no source for RG-59 here.

Tony Giacometti November 18th 07 08:53 PM

wrote:

[...]

And to think I was just trying to build a simple low noise receiving loop :)

Lets try this question.....

if I were to start from scratch.......

and I wanted to build a low noise receiving loop......

what style of low noise loop would you suggest I build?

OR is there another solution to my situation on my 1/3 of an acre lot?

Owen Duffy November 18th 07 09:05 PM

Owen Duffy wrote:

Tony Giacometti wrote in
news:NNydnfODM_iOB6LanZ2dnUVZ_r6rnZ2d@hawaiiantel. net:

For what its worth, I have never considered just plain wire for the
loop. I do use coax RG-6 - its all I can get, no RG-59 around here.

Did I miss something. I did see you refer us to a web page that
described the loop using RG59... and now you tell us you used RG6.
You might not yet know it, they are different, and the difference is
relevant.

Owen

I looked at the specs for both cables and the difference is very
small. Thats why I used RG-6, I have no source for RG-59 here.

Tony,

You might regard the difference as small, but in the models that I
created the difference in transmission loss, velocity factor, and shield
diameter are relevant.

Anyway, I have built and calibrated a model of the 80m loop described in
the ARRL Antenna Book (19th ed), and I am still checking the model.

Initial results are that it does exhibit a peak in gain at about 300pF of
tuning C, and that peak in gain is just a little less than an untuned
unshielded loop of the same size.

It looks like the gain is about -53dBi (not including feedline). If the
expected noise from a 0dBi antenna in 2kHz was -83dBm, this would give
around -136dBm which is in the region of the quiet noise floor on a good
HF receiver. Of course, if you were in a very noise place, then this
might be sufficient gain to achieve close to max S/N.

I have also modelled the tuned loop with the LHS shield bonded to the
inner conductor at the gap, which removes the lossy s/c stub from the
picture, increasing gain a little. Now this connection will not appeal to
the people with misconceptions about how a shielded loop works, but the
s/c stub formed by the coax on one side of the loop is just another loss
element that can be avoided.

Made of RG6, the gain is about a half dB higher.

I will look at it later in the day and put some notes together.

Owen

[email protected] November 18th 07 09:30 PM

On Nov 18, 3:14 am, Tony Giacometti wrote:

how do I calculate the dimensions of the coupling loop?

It's really not that critical. But there is a "sweet spot"
where you get the maximum coupling.
The best way is to just test it and see where you get
the strongest level, and nail it down.
I'm looking at my 44 inch per side loop, and the coupling
loop is about 5 inches inside of the main loop windings.
It's a plain single wire.
On my 16 inch loop, it's a circle, and is built on a
plastic humidifier blower housing. The motor mount
acts as the boom to attach to the mast.
When it's on the stand, it almost gives the impression
of some kind of perverted microwave dish at first
look... :/
It's coupling loop is a three turn coax shielded loop
that is appx three inches away from the main coil.
It's also slightly less across, and is about a 12 inch
loop inside the 16 inch loop. Yes, it has a gap in the
shield at the top, which is the center of the total
length of the coax.
I tested various coupling loops on that one, and
got the best level using the three turns, and the
use of a "shielded" coax loop just aids in better
balance. The main coil is plain insulated #12 wire.
As you can tell in the recordings, my nulls are deep.
In most cases with groundwave path signals, I can
make an unwanted station vanish if I want.
That applies to local single source noise too.. :)
My usual culprit is line noise due south or north
or me. But I can kill 95% of it. I'm lucky it seems
to come from one location.
In general, the nulls are not near as good with actual
skywave signals late at night. But they can still
help a bit, as they tend to reject a bit of unwanted
crud vs a larger wire antenna.
If I'm listening to the BC band, I'm always on the loop,
no matter what the time of day. I prefer it even with
skywave signals. But due to the generally lower
signal levels on the weaker 160m band, it's a bit
different animal.
You might have better luck on 160 using say a set
of phased short verticals.
There was a thread talking about those just the other
day. I think W8JI uses those quite a bit, and I
know he often works stuff I don't even hear on the
transmit vertical, or one of my loops.
On 160, I think just being vertical is an advantage
for long haul DX.
Either that or use beverages, which I'm gonna assume
are probably not possible at your QTH... :(
BTW, one time I hooked the 16 inch loop to a
AC/Delco car radio in a truck.. Worked great. :)
MK

Roy Lewallen November 18th 07 09:36 PM

Tony Giacometti wrote:

And to think I was just trying to build a simple low noise receiving loop :)

Lets try this question.....

if I were to start from scratch.......

and I wanted to build a low noise receiving loop......

what style of low noise loop would you suggest I build?

OR is there another solution to my situation on my 1/3 of an acre lot?

What you should do is realize that there is no such thing as a "low
noise receiving loop". No antenna has any way to tell the difference
between signals and noise, so a "low noise receiving loop" is also just
as much a "low signal receiving loop". All a loop can do that might help
with a noise problem is provide a sharp null in one direction (actually,
two, but it's very unlikely that both will be useful at the same time).
If the noise is coming from a single narrow direction, you can turn the
loop to reduce it. If the noise isn't coming from one narrow direction,
a loop won't be "low noise" and, as I pointed out earlier, might well be
worse than an outside antenna if the noise is being radiated by house
wiring.

From all the descriptions, it sounds like your main problem with the
loop is that the overall gain of your loop + receiver is simply too low
for comfortable listening. What you need in order to provide the
necessary additional gain is either a better impedance match between the
loop and receiver (for which there have been multiple suggestions), an
amplifier either ahead of the receiver (a preamp) or after the receiver
(an audio amplifier), or some combination of those. If you can null out
the noise by turning the loop, then the additional gain will get you
what you're trying to achieve. If not, then a loop isn't the solution,
and the only solution might be to find and eliminate the source of the
noise.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

Tony Giacometti November 18th 07 09:36 PM

wrote:

[...]

Thank you for the audio clips, the loop is really
working for you.

No preamp!!! WOW!!!

Truly Amazing!

Denny November 19th 07 01:25 PM

Low Noise receiving Loop antenna

Tony, you have received a crash course on small loop antennas minus
the calculus...
Let me make a few comments as a country boy engineer who cannot do
fancy math...

My thought for you to test the loop+Drake is for you to put out a
temporary Beverage as a wire on the ground... Go out to the curb in
the wee hours of night and roll out 500 foot of insulated wire on the
grass between the curb and sidewalk, match it to the Drake with a 9:1
transformer and a ground stake - a terminating resistor and a ground
stake at the far end is a good idea, but can be dispensed with in a
pinch...'
By flipping back and forth between the wire and the loop you will get
an idea of how well, or poorly, the loop is performing... By having
everything ready to go to roll it out and then roll it back up you
should be able to do this test without the neighbors being any wiser
in the morning...

A variation of the poor boy Beverage, is a 100' untuned dipole running
along the perimeter of your estate, waist high no higher which will
be omni directional... It might even prove to be a full time
installation given your city constraints...

Even those of us in the rural areas have noise problems.. Electric
fences, etc.. I have a nasty broad band up through 40 meters noise
source somewhere to my NorthEast, which essentially wipes out weak dx
from europe for me... It is miles from me and I have yet to locate
it...

denny / k8do

Owen Duffy November 19th 07 06:32 PM

Low Noise receiving Loop antenna

Tony,

The key to improving the loop is to
-increase the induced voltage; and / or to
-improve its efficiency.

Increasing the induced voltage means increasing the size of the loop.
With a small loop, doubling the size of the side will win nearly 6dB of
induced voltage, but it also increases the inductance of the loop which
might degrade impedance matching and defeat most of the increased induced
voltage.

Improving the efficiency means addressing conductor / transmission line
losses and better impedance matching. Most of the 50 some dB of loss is
attributable to impedance matching.

I expressed surprise at the shunt tuning capacitor in an earlier posting.
I know it is a popular circuit, and it features in the ARRL Antenna
Handbook, but that doesn't make it a good circuit. Try the variable
capacitor in series with the coax inner conductor, you should improve the
gain by around 20dB.

Then try a shunt capacitor on the receiver side of the variable
capacitor, start with 1000pF, you should see further improvement in gain
but with a narrower bandwidth.

This is not a new circuit, you will find it in books, certainly at least
where the tuning / matching network is right at the loop gap. The
relocation of the capacitors by a length of transmission line does change
things a little, and it is more complicated to solve, but behaviour is
soemwhat similar.

Should you try this, your findings would be interesting.

The mathematically based approach might not be popular, and I am no
mathemetician, but the approach does reveal why the antenna is
inadequate, and suggests what can be done to improve it.

Owen

Tony Giacometti November 20th 07 05:40 AM

Owen Duffy wrote:

Tony,

The key to improving the loop is to
-increase the induced voltage; and / or to
-improve its efficiency.

I agree, but how is the question

Increasing the induced voltage means increasing the size of the loop.
With a small loop, doubling the size of the side will win nearly 6dB of
induced voltage, but it also increases the inductance of the loop which
might degrade impedance matching and defeat most of the increased induced
voltage.

Improving the efficiency means addressing conductor / transmission line
losses and better impedance matching. Most of the 50 some dB of loss is
attributable to impedance matching.

I expressed surprise at the shunt tuning capacitor in an earlier posting.
I know it is a popular circuit, and it features in the ARRL Antenna
Handbook,

and alot of other places also.

but that doesn't make it a good circuit. Try the variable
capacitor in series with the coax inner conductor, you should improve the
gain by around 20dB.

this one I will try, does this not make the loop a closed loop?

Then try a shunt capacitor on the receiver side of the variable
capacitor, start with 1000pF, you should see further improvement in gain
but with a narrower bandwidth.

Don't have anything like this on hand, this is a variable capacitor I would
assume.

This is not a new circuit, you will find it in books, certainly at least
where the tuning / matching network is right at the loop gap. The
relocation of the capacitors by a length of transmission line does change
things a little, and it is more complicated to solve, but behaviour is
soemwhat similar.

Should you try this, your findings would be interesting.

I might be able to get to this in a day or two and I will let you know what
happened.

The mathematically based approach might not be popular, and I am no
mathemetician, but the approach does reveal why the antenna is
inadequate, and suggests what can be done to improve it.

Owen

I was thinking that maybe I didn't have enough capture area with the loop I
currently use.
My next step was to figure out how to increase the size of the loop so it
captures more signal. Since I havn't looked for any info on a loop like
this I was going to ask you if you had anything on a larger loop but one
which isn't too large and can be rotated either by hand or a rotator.

I think you answered my question(s) at the top of this post.
Doubling the size would still make it small enough to rotate by hand or with
a small tv rotator, matching though might be the other issue as you
mentioned.

Tony Giacometti November 20th 07 05:54 AM

Denny wrote:

[...]

this is a good idea, except I can't go 500 ft in any direction without
getting into my neighbors property.
Best I can do is about 175ft and that would be into my neighbors property
who has some dogs which will at any hour of the day or nite bark until the
neighbor comes out to quiet them down.

I am in the middle of a cul-de-sac that about 200 ft long. All my neighbors
on the other side of the street have dogs. The 2 north and south of me
wouldn't give me enough room to put out enough wire to make this test
worthwhile and the neighbors behind me are anti amateur radio types.
I was here first and had antennas up before they even built their houses but
yet I am the bad dude in the neighborhood.

FORTUNATELY, I have never been accused of any interference even running 1500
watts.

Oh this is a "rural" subdivision so to speak, no curbs no sidewalks. But the
lots are 1/3 acre or slightly more.

Damn, you give me a good idea and I can't use it.

Owen Duffy November 20th 07 05:59 AM

Low Noise receiving Loop antenna

Tony Giacometti wrote in
:

I expressed surprise at the shunt tuning capacitor in an earlier
posting. I know it is a popular circuit, and it features in the ARRL
Antenna Handbook,

and alot of other places also.

Ok, but they are all flawed.

but that doesn't make it a good circuit. Try the variable
capacitor in series with the coax inner conductor, you should improve
the gain by around 20dB.

this one I will try, does this not make the loop a closed loop?

I don't understand what you mean. Just reconfigure the tuning box so that
the capacitor is in series with the inner conductor of the feedline to
the radio. Is that ambiguous?

Then try a shunt capacitor on the receiver side of the variable
capacitor, start with 1000pF, you should see further improvement in
gain but with a narrower bandwidth.

Don't have anything like this on hand, this is a variable capacitor I
would assume.

No, just try a fixed capacitor. You could also try 2200pF, it will have a
little more gain but narrower bandwidth.

This is not a new circuit, you will find it in books, certainly at
least where the tuning / matching network is right at the loop gap.
The relocation of the capacitors by a length of transmission line
does change things a little, and it is more complicated to solve, but
behaviour is soemwhat similar.

Should you try this, your findings would be interesting.

I might be able to get to this in a day or two and I will let you know
what happened.

Thanks.

I was thinking that maybe I didn't have enough capture area with the
loop I currently use.
My next step was to figure out how to increase the size of the loop so
it captures more signal. Since I havn't looked for any info on a loop
like this I was going to ask you if you had anything on a larger loop
but one which isn't too large and can be rotated either by hand or a
rotator.

I think you answered my question(s) at the top of this post.
Doubling the size would still make it small enough to rotate by hand
or with a small tv rotator, matching though might be the other issue
as you mentioned.

In the simple case of an untuned loop loaded with 50 ohms, when the loop
inductive reactance becomes more than becomes more than about 150 ohms,
doubling the size of the loop doubles the induced voltage and doubles the
reactance, so the loop current hardly increases and not much more voltage
is developed in the 50 ohm load. Do you follow?

A lossless loop of the size you use has a source impedance of 0.0002
ohms. For maximum power transfer, you have to do something better than
deliver a load of the order of a hundred ohms.

It is perhaps a difficult concept to grasp. But it explains why small
antennas don't work so well, it is just so hard to deliver or extract
power because the radiation resistance is so small.

Owen

Tony Giacometti November 20th 07 07:07 AM

Low Noise receiving Loop antenna

Owen Duffy wrote:

Tony Giacometti wrote in
:

I expressed surprise at the shunt tuning capacitor in an earlier
posting. I know it is a popular circuit, and it features in the ARRL
Antenna Handbook,

and alot of other places also.

Ok, but they are all flawed.

but that doesn't make it a good circuit. Try the variable
capacitor in series with the coax inner conductor, you should improve
the gain by around 20dB.

this one I will try, does this not make the loop a closed loop?

I don't understand what you mean. Just reconfigure the tuning box so that
the capacitor is in series with the inner conductor of the feedline to
the radio. Is that ambiguous?

I guess I am unsure as to how the loop gets connected.

since the loop and cap are currently parallel, removing the cap
leaves me with 2 ends of the loop. Putting the cap in series with the
center of the coax feedline allows me to have only one connection to the
loop.

Did I miss something?

Then try a shunt capacitor on the receiver side of the variable
capacitor, start with 1000pF, you should see further improvement in
gain but with a narrower bandwidth.

Don't have anything like this on hand, this is a variable capacitor I
would assume.

No, just try a fixed capacitor. You could also try 2200pF, it will have a
little more gain but narrower bandwidth.

I have caps in that range, and since its receive only, the voltage can be
low.

This is not a new circuit, you will find it in books, certainly at
least where the tuning / matching network is right at the loop gap.
The relocation of the capacitors by a length of transmission line
does change things a little, and it is more complicated to solve, but
behaviour is soemwhat similar.

Should you try this, your findings would be interesting.

I might be able to get to this in a day or two and I will let you know
what happened.

Thanks.

As soon as I figure out how it needs to be wired. :)

[...]

yes, wellbrook has a large capture area loop, I wonder how they get that one
to work?

A lossless loop of the size you use has a source impedance of 0.0002
ohms. For maximum power transfer, you have to do something better than
deliver a load of the order of a hundred ohms.

It is perhaps a difficult concept to grasp. But it explains why small
antennas don't work so well, it is just so hard to deliver or extract
power because the radiation resistance is so small.

Owen

I never though this was going to be this complicated, I thought all I needed
do was to build the loop and problem solved.......so I thought......:)

Richard Clark November 20th 07 07:15 AM

Low Noise receiving Loop antenna

On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 21:07:30 -1000, Tony Giacometti
wrote:

I never though this was going to be this complicated, I thought all I needed
do was to build the loop and problem solved.......so I thought......:)

At the risk of repetition still not resolving what is simple:

Owen Duffy November 20th 07 07:21 AM

news:yKednQUgeNMRGt_anZ2dnUVZ_oaonZ2d@hawaiiantel. net:

I guess I am unsure as to how the loop gets connected.

since the loop and cap are currently parallel, removing the cap
leaves me with 2 ends of the loop. Putting the cap in series with the
center of the coax feedline allows me to have only one connection to
the loop.

Did I miss something?

Someone else will probably have to transate the following for you (I must
have an upside down view of the world from down under):

Disconnect both wires from the capacitor.

Now cut the centre wire from the loop the the feed line coax in the tee
box... there is only one wire that fits this description.

Insert the tuning capacitor (two wires) where you cut the centre
conductor , ie connect the capacitor wires to each side of where you cut
the centre conductor

The capacitor is now in series with the centre conductor of the feedline
connection in the tuning / matching box.

Now connect a 100pF fixed capacitor between the feedline centre conductor
and shield in the tuning box.

Now adjust the capacitor for maximum rx noise.

Owen

Tony Giacometti November 21st 07 06:01 AM

Owen Duffy wrote:

Tony Giacometti wrote in
news:yKednQUgeNMRGt_anZ2dnUVZ_oaonZ2d@hawaiiantel. net:

I guess I am unsure as to how the loop gets connected.

since the loop and cap are currently parallel, removing the cap
leaves me with 2 ends of the loop. Putting the cap in series with the
center of the coax feedline allows me to have only one connection to
the loop.

Did I miss something?

Someone else will probably have to transate the following for you (I must
have an upside down view of the world from down under):

Disconnect both wires from the capacitor.

sorry, I'm not trying to be an ass here but the diagram I have shows 3
connections to the cap. 2 for the loop and one for the center conductor of
the feedline.

Is my diagram whats confusing the issue?

Owen Duffy November 21st 07 07:00 AM

news:bMednQ1HY8JTVN7anZ2dnUVZ_gGdnZ2d@hawaiiantel. net:
sorry, I'm not trying to be an ass here but the diagram I have shows 3
connections to the cap. 2 for the loop and one for the center
conductor of the feedline.

Is my diagram whats confusing the issue?

Here is a diagram of what I suggested:
http://www.vk1od.net/SmallTunedSquareLoop/index.2.gif .

The variable capacitor needs to be 0-400pF. The fixed capacitor should be
at least 1000pF.

If you couldn't arrive at this circuit from the word description, and you
aren't being silly, then it questions whether your intial construction
was based on misinterpretation of the original article.

Here is an even better idea:
http://www.vk1od.net/SmallTunedSquareLoop/index.3.gif .

There is only one change here, the inner conductor is bonded to the outer
conductor at the left hand side of the shield gap. Ask yourself why that
improves things... some will suggest it just halved the loop size, but it
hasn't.

Owen

Tony Giacometti November 21st 07 04:09 PM

Owen Duffy wrote:

[...]

I understand now, seeing your drawing clears it up for me.
No, I wasn't being difficult or silly, I kept thinking of how I have the
unit wired and I couldn't picture in my mind (senior moment?) the changes.
Anyway now I see what you are asking me to try and I will give this a try.
Hopefully tonite after work.

I will let you know the results. Thank You.

Owen Duffy November 21st 07 07:10 PM

news:geadnZCVBcuhxdnanZ2dnUVZ_ojinZ2d@hawaiiantel. net:

Owen Duffy wrote:

[...]

Keep in mind this scheme improves the impedance match (ie reduces the
mismatch "losses", but it doesn't approach an MPT match unless the fixed
capacitor is very large, and in that case bandwidth would probably be too
narrow for your use. The trick is to improve the system gain enough to be
usable without making the system unusable because it is too narrow. The
suggested fixed capacitor of 1000pF should win you enough system gain, if
it doesn't try larger values (eg 4,700pF).

I will be offline for a few days, I look forward to hearing of the
outcome.

Owen

[email protected] November 22nd 07 02:01 AM

On Nov 21, 1:10 pm, Owen Duffy wrote:

[...]

I guess it's worth a shot if the level is really that low.
But something seems strange that he would have that
problem. Using even my small 16 inch loop, fed using
the usual cap in parallel method, I have more signal level
than I actually need, even at the upper end of its range.
In general if the background noise level peaks, and there
is a definite difference between the antenna connected,
and unconnected, seems that should be enough
signal level.
On the recordings I made, I was comparing the 16 inch
loop vs full size wire antennas, and the drop in level
is really not that drastic.
IE: the stations still sound "loud" vs the large
wire antennas, and I have pretty decent S meter levels
on the loops.
I'm tuned to 740 kc AM-BC on my big loop right now and
the S meter is reading 40 over 9, and the radio preamp
is off.
I didn't really notice any level problems on the shielded
loops I've tried. But I'm starting to wonder if maybe
he might get a higher level just from using a regular
solenoid loop. It's also possible the radio could
use a tweak.. Which is easy to do on the drake
receivers. All the trimmers are on top of the chassis.
Don't even need any fancy gear. He can tune for the
middle of each band appx, and use the xtal calibrator
as the signal to tweak all the trimmers per each band.
Of course, you would peak each trimmer for max S
meter reading.
On the drakes, he should show a pretty healthy S
meter reading on the calibrator signal if it's working
right.
MK

Tony Giacometti November 22nd 07 06:43 PM

wrote:

[...]

What is a solenoid loop?

It's also possible the radio could
use a tweak.. Which is easy to do on the drake
receivers. All the trimmers are on top of the chassis.
Don't even need any fancy gear. He can tune for the
middle of each band appx, and use the xtal calibrator
as the signal to tweak all the trimmers per each band.
Of course, you would peak each trimmer for max S
meter reading.
On the drakes, he should show a pretty healthy S
meter reading on the calibrator signal if it's working
right.
MK

I get 25 over 9 with the calibrator, but I will recheck
some things and make sure everything is ok.

Tony Giacometti November 22nd 07 07:37 PM

Owen Duffy wrote:

[...]

I tried both configurations, both raised the noise level which I am thinking
must be related to the gain you said I would get, I didn't need the preamp
at all. I didn't get the nulls like I get from the original loop - that was
a mild surprise - there was only a 2-3 S unit difference between noise peak
and noise null, The original loop normally has S1-2 99% of the time when
nulled. The current loop has a difference between noise peak and noise null
of 7-9 S units. Now don't misunderstand me, but I like the low noise level.
What concerns me with the other 2 configurations is the gain makes the
noise increase so much that I am not so sure I would be able to hear the
weaker ones.

I think this project as simple as I thought it would be ...... just isn't.
What I would like to accomplish with this loop idea is to have the low noise
and the ability to null out the noise from my neighbors houses. But at the
same time have enough gain to be able to hear the weak signals. Now I don't
have preference for using the preamp or not. Whatever works is what I want
to go with.

Maybe changing the type of loop to a different style of loop would be the
way to achive what I would like to obtain.

Obviously, there is a miriad of designs and configurations. Since I need the
loop only for 75 meters and have a limited amount of real estate this cuts
the pile down to a lesser amount.

What to do...................well, maybe I should start over - why not try
a different type/style of loop. A larger loop might be better for gain but
how big before its not able to null out noise cause I can't rotate it due
to its size?
Does the loop have to be coax? can it be some other type of wire?

Your input is much appreciated.

Owen Duffy November 24th 07 05:45 AM

Owen Duffy wrote:

I will be offline for a few days, I look forward to hearing of the
outcome.

Owen

I tried both configurations, both raised the noise level which I am
thinking must be related to the gain you said I would get, I didn't

I take it that 'raise the noise level' actually means you got more noise
out of the receiver / higher S meter reading on band noise.

need the preamp at all. I didn't get the nulls like I get from the
original loop - that was a mild surprise - there was only a 2-3 S unit

Neither the preamp, nor the tuning changes you made should change the
directivity (ie the pattern, the depth of the nulls) of the antenna.

difference between noise peak and noise null, The original loop
normally has S1-2 99% of the time when nulled. The current loop has a
difference between noise peak and noise null of 7-9 S units. Now don't

I have already told you those measurements don't mean anything to me.

misunderstand me, but I like the low noise level. What concerns me
with the other 2 configurations is the gain makes the noise increase
so much that I am not so sure I would be able to hear the weaker ones.

If you want to improve the depth of the nulls, you have to concentrate on
the balance of the antenna, the symmetry of the loop, its feedline, its
environment etc. I think Roy might have said that earlier.

I think this project as simple as I thought it would be ...... just
isn't. What I would like to accomplish with this loop idea is to have
the low noise and the ability to null out the noise from my neighbors
houses. But at the same time have enough gain to be able to hear the
weak signals. Now I don't have preference for using the preamp or not.
Whatever works is what I want to go with.

It is fairly simple, you might have needed to learn a bit, but you
probably also had to unlearn some stuff.

Maybe changing the type of loop to a different style of loop would be
the way to achive what I would like to obtain.

You have already been told there is no such thing as a low noise antenna.
The loop has the advantage of being able to null out signals from two
opposite directions, which can help if the interference is predominantly
from one (or both) of those directions. You can improve the depth of
those nulls, but pattern or directivity is unrelated to the power
transfer problem.

Obviously, there is a miriad of designs and configurations. Since I
need the loop only for 75 meters and have a limited amount of real
estate this cuts the pile down to a lesser amount.

What to do...................well, maybe I should start over - why not
try a different type/style of loop. A larger loop might be better for
gain but how big before its not able to null out noise cause I can't
rotate it due to its size?
Does the loop have to be coax? can it be some other type of wire?

Remember that symmetry is key to the depth of the null. If it is harder
to build a larger loop with equally good symmetry (including to the
environment), you have more gain, but poorer nulls... and your main
reason for selecting the loop is for rejection of interference using the
nulls. You need adequate gain, and the best balance rather than the other
way round.

Your input is much appreciated.

Thanks

73
Owen

Tony Giacometti November 25th 07 06:46 AM

Low Noise receiving Loop antenna

Owen Duffy wrote:

Tony Giacometti wrote in
:

Owen Duffy wrote:

I will be offline for a few days, I look forward to hearing of the
outcome.

Owen

I tried both configurations, both raised the noise level which I am
thinking must be related to the gain you said I would get, I didn't

I take it that 'raise the noise level' actually means you got more noise
out of the receiver / higher S meter reading on band noise.

yes!

need the preamp at all. I didn't get the nulls like I get from the
original loop - that was a mild surprise - there was only a 2-3 S unit

Neither the preamp, nor the tuning changes you made should change the
directivity (ie the pattern, the depth of the nulls) of the antenna.

I didn't use the preamp for these tests, but the noise level did change and
yes, the nulls were not that deep.

As I wrote this was a mild surprise and I did recheck all connections and
redid the test with the same result.

difference between noise peak and noise null, The original loop
normally has S1-2 99% of the time when nulled. The current loop has a
difference between noise peak and noise null of 7-9 S units. Now don't

I have already told you those measurements don't mean anything to me.

misunderstand me, but I like the low noise level. What concerns me
with the other 2 configurations is the gain makes the noise increase
so much that I am not so sure I would be able to hear the weaker ones.

If you want to improve the depth of the nulls, you have to concentrate on
the balance of the antenna, the symmetry of the loop, its feedline, its
environment etc. I think Roy might have said that earlier.

yes he did, and I am not sure why the depth of the nulls changed.

I think this project as simple as I thought it would be ...... just
isn't. What I would like to accomplish with this loop idea is to have
the low noise and the ability to null out the noise from my neighbors
houses. But at the same time have enough gain to be able to hear the
weak signals. Now I don't have preference for using the preamp or not.
Whatever works is what I want to go with.

It is fairly simple, you might have needed to learn a bit, but you
probably also had to unlearn some stuff.

true, I had to unlearn some things that most likely floated around for
years.

Maybe changing the type of loop to a different style of loop would be
the way to achive what I would like to obtain.

You have already been told there is no such thing as a low noise antenna.
The loop has the advantage of being able to null out signals from two
opposite directions, which can help if the interference is predominantly
from one (or both) of those directions. You can improve the depth of
those nulls, but pattern or directivity is unrelated to the power
transfer problem.

did I misunderstand you, I thought the noise was nullable but at 75 meters
the signals were mostly omnidirectional? Or is this one of the unlearned
things?

[...]

Ok, I want to build a larger loop to get more gain, if possible deep nulls
for reducing local noise, I would like to try wire instead of coax. I want
to mount it on a PVC pipe frame. Can you give me any ideas as to what shape
and size? Whats a solenoid loop?

Owen Duffy November 25th 07 07:30 AM

Owen Duffy wrote:

You have already been told there is no such thing as a low noise
antenna. The loop has the advantage of being able to null out signals
from two opposite directions, which can help if the interference is
predominantly from one (or both) of those directions. You can improve
the depth of those nulls, but pattern or directivity is unrelated to
the power transfer problem.

did I misunderstand you, I thought the noise was nullable but at 75
meters the signals were mostly omnidirectional? Or is this one of the
unlearned things?

Keep in mind that noise from very close sources can be much stronger than
the aggregated noise from more distant source. If you live in a street
where everyone has the same noisy plasma TV, the noise from your own one
is likely to be much stronger than the aggregate of the others... think
through the propagation mechanism and especially the effects where the
source is in the near field (say within a quarter wave of your antenna).

You can't do much to null the noise from a hundred TVs spread around the
neighborhood, but you can null the noise from a close by dominant source
like your own, or immediate neighbor's. Of course, in nulling the noise
in that direction you also null signals from the same direction.
Fortunately, lots of signals come via an ionospheric path (a higher
angle), and the null of the loop is normally oriented horizontally so it
doesn't knock the ionospheric signals down as much.

If you try something beside a shielded loop, make sure you use an
effective means of isolating the feed line from the loop so that pickup
on the feedline does not feed the receiver.

Perhaps by solenoid loop you mean a multi turn loop. A multiturn loop is
another way of increasing induced voltage, but it increases the source
impedance and you have to solve the impedance matching issue.

Ok, I want to build a larger loop to get more gain, if possible deep
nulls for reducing local noise, I would like to try wire instead of
coax. I want to mount it on a PVC pipe frame. Can you give me any
ideas as to what shape and size? Whats a solenoid loop?

You started of with a loop that was too insensitive, so you have improved
that with better matching solving that problem. You can increase the gain
by further improvement of the matching... but you don't need more gain
than sufficient to have the band noise swamp the receiver internal noise.

I know you are convinced that matching also degraded the pattern. If the
matching network was entirely inside an effectively shielded box, it
should not affect the nulls. Make sure that you retained the shielded
loop properly.

Why do you still think that a larger loop has deeper nulls.

Owen

Roy Lewallen November 25th 07 07:41 AM

Low Noise receiving Loop antenna

Owen Duffy wrote:
. . .
If you try something beside a shielded loop, make sure you use an
effective means of isolating the feed line from the loop so that pickup
on the feedline does not feed the receiver.
. . .

In my limited experience, it's extremely difficult or impossible to do a
good job of isolating the feedline from a small loop. The common mode
impedance is just too high.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

Owen Duffy November 25th 07 08:15 AM

Low Noise receiving Loop antenna

Roy Lewallen wrote in
:

Owen Duffy wrote:
. . .
If you try something beside a shielded loop, make sure you use an
effective means of isolating the feed line from the loop so that
pickup on the feedline does not feed the receiver.
. . .

In my limited experience, it's extremely difficult or impossible to do
a good job of isolating the feedline from a small loop. The common
mode impedance is just too high.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

Hello Roy,

I have a small loop with inexpesive voltage balun, and it gives a quite
deep null (though I can't put dB figures on it off hand), and very sharp
null.

I wonder if the reason that Tony perceives that the nulls are shallow is
that he is assessing it on band noise. If so Tony, you should assess the
depth of the nulls on a local (ie low elevation) point source that is
much stronger than band noise. The test signal should dominate the
receiver.

If an antenna with deep nulls doesn't reduce band noise much, it
suggests that the noise is not mainly from a single direction... as
discussed earlier in this thread.

Owen