RadioBanter

-   -   What is the proper yagi class for my antenna? (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/127601-what-proper-yagi-class-my-antenna.html)

Richard November 25th 07 12:21 PM

What is the proper yagi class for my antenna?

Hi. I know little about antenna design. I'm thinking about a 5 or 6 element
yagi, with a bandwidth that is 3.77% of the center operating frequency. I
don't think this would be classed as a wideband yagi, although perhaps it
might not be considered a narrow band yagi either. Perhaps somone can
comment on this. But, in any case I'm wondering whether I should be using an
Optimized Wideband Antenna. I think the definition of this kind of antenna
is that it is a wideband antenna, that is optimized for gain. Perhaps
someone could confirm this. So, at the moment, given the operating bandwidth
of 3.44%, I think I need to be using an OWA antenna. Or should I be using
DL6WU designs that have a broad operating bandwidth. As you see, I'm not
entirely certain in which design catagory my needed antenna fits. All I know
is that I want the yagi to cover the bandwidth and be optimized for gain.

In practice what I should be doing I think is scaling someone's VHF yagi
design. Center frequency for the antenna is 159.025 Mhz. Any assistance
much appreciated. TIA. Rich