RadioBanter

-   -   Vincent antenna (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/127617-vincent-antenna.html)

Cecil Moore[_2_] December 7th 07 02:45 AM

Jim Kelley wrote:
What does "its current maximum is not caused by standing waves" mean to
someone with an "IQ of 168"?

I explained it already. The current maximum in a loading
coil is caused by the magnetic flux linkage between the
adjacent coils. It is the same thing that approximately
doubles the velocity factor of the coil over what it
would be if the all the current followed the wire.
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com

Cecil Moore[_2_] December 7th 07 02:50 AM

What do Mensa groups do anyway?

They get together, discuss intellectual topics,
and then jump into bed. :-)
--
73, Cecil
http://www.w5dxp.com

Mike Coslo December 7th 07 02:51 AM

"Mike Kaliski" wrote in

I went along to a couple of meetings many years ago. Full of under
achievers with high IQ's complaining how they weren't being recognised
or credited in their exams/career/promotion ladder/etc.

Intelligence is like talent. It is a gift.

What you do with it is what is important. Just because you have one or the
other is almost irrelevant if you don't have the other tools needed to be
sucessful.

I feel like such a piker here - I'm only 150........

- 73 de Mike N3LI -

Cecil Moore[_2_] December 7th 07 02:57 AM

Mike Coslo wrote:
I feel like such a piker here - I'm only 150........

There may be hope. My IQ went up after I took a
graduate course in the design of IQ tests. :-)
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com

[email protected] December 7th 07 03:19 AM

On Dec 6, 8:50 pm, Cecil Moore wrote:
wrote:
What do Mensa groups do anyway?

They get together, discuss intellectual topics,
and then jump into bed. :-)
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com

Hummm. I hope they don't have hairy legs.. :/
MK

John Smith December 7th 07 03:34 AM

Mike Kaliski wrote:

Cheers all,

Mike GOULI

Unfortunately, autistic people can, quite frequently, score high on IQ
tests--however, it is obvious this "gray matter" is not what one is
looking for (well, sometimes NOT all that obvious.)

However, without the proper gray matter--you can grunt all you want with
little progress ...

Regards,
JS

John Smith December 7th 07 03:35 AM

Cecil Moore wrote:
Mike Coslo wrote:
I feel like such a piker here - I'm only 150........

There may be hope. My IQ went up after I took a
graduate course in the design of IQ tests. :-)

Ahhh, "test smart!", yep, that helps! ;-)

Regards,
JS

Tom Donaly December 7th 07 04:25 AM

Mike Kaliski wrote:

wrote in message
On Dec 6, 5:19 pm, Jim Kelley wrote:
Among the things evidently manifested by an alleged "IQ of 168" are a
narcisitic overestimate of ones own abilities and a compulsive need to
demonstrate same.

What does "its current maximum is not caused by standing waves" mean
to someone with an "IQ of 168"?

ac6xg

IQ doesn't mean a whole lot to me.. I've also been tested in
the same appx 160+ range.. Big deal.. I'm still basically a redneck
dumbass because I never applied myself much in school.
I hated school actually, and snuck away every chance I got... :/
I sure never had any interest in trying to join Mensa.
What do Mensa groups do anyway? I'm fairly sure whatever they
do would be boring to me... :(
MK

I went along to a couple of meetings many years ago. Full of under
achievers with high IQ's complaining how they weren't being recognised
or credited in their exams/career/promotion ladder/etc.

You can coast along with a high enough IQ without having to work too
hard, but it takes hard work and dedication to achieve anything
worthwhile. The top people anywhere in the world are not the smartest,
but they learned to use what they have to the maximum and put the hours
in. If you expect a high IQ to grant you a short cut to the top, it
won't and there are a whole lot of only slightly less intelligent people
who know just enough and have a vested interest to stop you from getting
there.

Mensa is merely a self congratulatory society for smart people who lack
the drive to succeed. But don't let that stop you from joining so long
as all you expect is the chance of some (reasonably) intelligent
conversation at social functions.

Well it didn't match up to my standards (or the intelligence that is
displayed on r.r.a.a.) so I didn't bother renewing my subscription when
it expired.

Cheers all,

Mike GOULI

Considering that our president has the I.Q. of the slowest learner in
the slow learners class at the local obedience school, it's obvious it
doesn't take intelligence to get ahead in life. Truman and Nixon weren't
much better. From what I've read, intelligence tests were invented in
France to identify students with learning problems in order to give them
additional attention. When the test got to the U.S. it was immediately
used as a way to stratify society. One of the chief fellows behind
the American effort was a Stanford academic named Lewis Madison Terman,
who, of course, was awesomely intelligent by definition.
73,
Tom Donaly, KA6RUH

Tom Donaly December 7th 07 04:28 AM

Mike Coslo wrote:
"Mike Kaliski" wrote in

I went along to a couple of meetings many years ago. Full of under
achievers with high IQ's complaining how they weren't being recognised
or credited in their exams/career/promotion ladder/etc.

Intelligence is like talent. It is a gift.

What you do with it is what is important. Just because you have one or the
other is almost irrelevant if you don't have the other tools needed to be
sucessful.

I feel like such a piker here - I'm only 150........

- 73 de Mike N3LI -

That's o.k. It just means you think less like Terman than some of the
others in this group do.
73,
Tom Donaly, KA6RUH

Tom Donaly December 7th 07 04:30 AM

wrote:
What do Mensa groups do anyway?

They get together, discuss intellectual topics,
and then jump into bed. :-)
--
73, Cecil
http://www.w5dxp.com

Hummm. I hope they don't have hairy legs.. :/
MK

The women do.
73,
Tom Donaly, KA6RUH