Old February 23rd 04, 08:58 PM
Richard Clark

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 15:35:24 -0500, "Scott Downey"
wrote:
I read in the marine catalogs about marine CB antennas designed for boats
and not to be concerned about a ground plane.
Anyone know the answer?

Hi Scott,

It could be a half-wave antenna (or jimmied to look like one) and it
counts on the cable feed to act as the minimal counterpoise to work
against.

OR

It could be outright baloney about not needing a ground plane.
CB does not have the reputation for marketing to the savvy.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old February 23rd 04, 10:46 PM
Cecil Moore

Scott Downey wrote:

Are you saying it wont work?
Why would the manufacturer make a marine CB antenna knowing it would be put
on a fiberglass boat knowing that most people would simply hook up the coax
and see it it works.
I read in the marine catalogs about marine CB antennas designed for boats
and not to be concerned about a ground plane.
Anyone know the answer?

I said "if it is a 1/4WL antenna..." If it is a 1/2WL antenna, it will work
without a ground plane. Does it have a coax connector on it? If so, what is
the outside of the connector tied to?

"Cecil Moore" wrote:
To what is the coax shield going to be tied? If that antenna is
an electrical 1/4 wavelength, where's the ground plane?

--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old February 24th 04, 02:24 AM
Cecil Moore

Scott Downey wrote:
Yes, it has a pl 259 coax connector on the antenna and it did not come with
any cable.

But what is the outside shield of the pl259 connected to inside the antenna?
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old February 24th 04, 07:46 AM
CW

Cecil is not fallowing along. I have an antenna just like yours and it is
designed to work without a ground plane. It is designed for boats.
"Scott Downey" wrote in message
Are you saying it wont work?
Why would the manufacturer make a marine CB antenna knowing it would be

put
on a fiberglass boat knowing that most people would simply hook up the

coax
and see it it works.
I read in the marine catalogs about marine CB antennas designed for boats
and not to be concerned about a ground plane.
Anyone know the answer?

"Cecil Moore" wrote in message
The boat is mostly wood and fiberglass, only metal is railings.

Old February 24th 04, 03:11 PM
Scott Downey

Sounds right to me, thanks.
How well does this antenna work for you?
I have not installed the radio yet.

Old February 24th 04, 06:27 PM
-Rev Jones

They work I have even seen apt window antennas but range is awful.
The best thing I found is mount with 2 U bolts or s steel hose clamps to the
stern railing as close to the centerline as possible (most those antennas
have a brass plated sleeve at the base). It's a sailboat when the gate s
closed you have plenty of ground plain.
Very difficult to get an acceptable polar pattern on Boats.
If you have a large boat use a 2 co-phased classic Shakespeare "Super Big
Stick" (21 ft sleeve antenna) a-side and above the pilot house is the
ultimate
2 co-phased antennas on the rear port and starboard stern rails work good
also.

If you can afford a boat dont be cheap with "Rube" rigged antenna systems,
it can mean a life or death situation

Old February 24th 04, 08:16 PM
CW

Don't know, never tried it. Bought it for a specific application about ten
years ago. A change of plans made it unnecessary.

Old February 24th 04, 09:29 PM
Scott Downey

I am not too concerned, I have VHF primarily and am just interested in
adding CB to the boat for fun. I have a handheld GE CB that is for fun and
will be used to talk to the main CB in the boat.

We do use a cell phone, I called the CG on it when I was in a storm and hit
a pier which destroyed my VHF antenna.

Old February 26th 04, 11:33 PM
greg z

We do use a cell phone, I called the CG on it when I was in a storm and hit
a pier which destroyed my VHF antenna.

A roll up J-pole and a fishin pole come in very handy in this situation.
KC*VIF
Greg Z
to thine own sound be true