RadioBanter

-   -   BNC Crimp Tool and crimp-connector (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/131995-bnc-crimp-tool-crimp-connector.html)

J. Mc Laughlin March 30th 08 07:24 PM

BNC Crimp Tool and crimp-connector

Dear Group:

It appears that I may be compelled to crimp BNC connectors far out in a
field.

I searched the many thousand messages I have saved that were of value and
found this from Mr. Brian Kelly from August 3, 2003:
If you're going to spend money, then be sure to buy plugs with a captive
pin and pressure-sleeve ("top hat") cable clamp.

They are more expensive than the original MIL type, but much better for
hand assembly and much easier to remove and re-use... in other words,
they're good long-term value for amateurs.

An example is the Tyco/Greenpar 1-1478401-0. There should be a
disassembled picture at www.farnell.com/uk - search for part number
3977754. (The parts aren't laid out in quite the right order, but you'll
get the idea.)

Personally I wouldn't use crimp connectors without the correct tools to
make the full six-sided crimps in the two different sizes required. Also
they cannot be re-used, which makes them poorer value for (most)
amateurs.

------

With the assumptions that the cable is RG58C/U type, that the connection
will be well wrapped and the BNC connector is on the end of a very long
piece of cable going to HF receiving antenna(s):

Questions: What have you found to be the most reliable BNC connectors of
the crimp type?
What crimping tool is the most appropriate?

A crimping tool that may inexpensively be modified to crimp UHF (to RG213/U
type cable) type connectors is desirable.

Thanks for your advice. No substitute exists for experience with a task
that so easily can go wrong.

73, Mac N8TT

--
J. McLaughlin; Michigan, USA
Home:

Jim-NN7K[_2_] March 30th 08 08:52 PM

BNC Crimp Tool and crimp-connector

AMP makes connectors, and crimpers for coax- and they are quite
reliable- thats the good news. The BAD news is they are quite
expensive, and only crimp one size connector for each- one size for
rg58, one for rg-174 (?) The small stuff, used for baseband cables ,
and mux equipment, and another for UHF connecters . think these also
available for N types. You might look at their web page for info.

Also, IF interested, the CENTERS of a BNC connector is the same size
as the N connector, if you wish to make test cords- tho they obviously
DON'T lock to the female connectors- not good for a permanent
installation. --- Jim NN7K

J. Mc Laughlin March 30th 08 10:23 PM

BNC Crimp Tool and crimp-connector

Dear Jim: Oh my, are they expensive. For half the price, Steren
(sterenusa.com) makes a model 204-036 that deals with BNC, RCA, and F type
connectors. What looks like the same tool, is sold under Paladin name and
some house-brands. I wonder if anyone has used this tool?

Sometimes one must pay a high price to receive reliability and quality, but
that is not always the case. Someone put us onto a modest cost CAT5 tool
that we used at work for many, many connectors with almost no failures.

Thanks for you advice. I will put the AMP 58433-2 on the list to consider.

73, Mac N8TT

--
J. McLaughlin; Michigan, USA
Home:
. net...

Owen Duffy March 30th 08 10:32 PM

BNC Crimp Tool and crimp-connector

"J. Mc Laughlin" wrote in
:

Dear Jim: Oh my, are they expensive. For half the price, Steren

Mac, have a look at the dies and frame at:

http://rfshop.com.au/Products/Hardwa...oryID/261/Cate
gory2ID/776/Level/2/Default.aspx

These are out of Asia and the tools work quite well. As you will see, there
are dies that include cavities for a range of cables and you may are likely
to find a tool that will suit many small cables on BNC / UHF / SMA etc.

The tools come into Australia branded HIT, you may find them listed with
retailers over there.

BTW, RFSHOP are great to deal with, and if look around there site, you will
see a range of inexpensive, but good quality connectors etc.

Owen

J. Mc Laughlin March 31st 08 04:23 AM

BNC Crimp Tool and crimp-connector

Dear Owen: I am obliged for your suggestions and the RFShop reference.
Indeed, a set of dies for just the connectors of interest has some appeal,
and the HIT series has a good selection of dies. I have yet to locate where
the HIT series are available on this side of the Pacific, but I shall keep
looking.

I note again the comment made back in 2003 about the desirability of a hex
crimp. It turns out that Steren makes a single purpose tool (204-005) that
performs a hex crimp on BNCs and costs about the same as a HIT die. The
mating connector in quantity appears to be about half a dollar.

So many choices. Thank you again. 73, Mac N8TT
--
J. McLaughlin; Michigan, USA
Home:
"Owen Duffy" wrote in message
"J. Mc Laughlin" wrote in
:

J. Mc Laughlin April 1st 08 07:46 PM

BNC Crimp Tool and crimp-connector

Dear Jimmie: Thank you for sharing your experience. That is just the sort
of thing needed.

After looking at information available on the WEB, it seems most likely that
Steren is the actual manufacturer. Steren makes both a BNC-RCA-F crimp tool
(204-036) (about $42) and a dedicated BNC crimp tool (204-005) (about $16).
I hope that someone who has used these tools will report their experience.

Thanks again, Mac N8TT
--
J. McLaughlin; Michigan, USA
Home:
"Jimmie D" wrote in message

"J. Mc Laughlin" wrote in message
.. .
Dear Jim: Oh my, are they expensive. For half the price, Steren
(sterenusa.com) makes a model 204-036 that deals with BNC, RCA, and F
type connectors. What looks like the same tool, is sold under Paladin
name and some house-brands. I wonder if anyone has used this tool?

Sometimes one must pay a high price to receive reliability and quality,
but that is not always the case. Someone put us onto a modest cost CAT5
tool that we used at work for many, many connectors with almost no
failures.

Thanks for you advice. I will put the AMP 58433-2 on the list to
consider.

73, Mac N8TT

I ve used both the Paladin and AMP crimp tools. The AMPS work very well
all the time.
I have found some of the Paladins that dont work as well a others. This
usually means the shield is not fastened to the body of the connector as
well as it should.. Not knowing each tools individual history this may be
as a result of normal use and abuse as the poorer ones seem to have been
around for a while. I know the ones most recently purchased perform very
well.

The AMP tools is at least 20 years old or older and still works
flawlessly. However its never been on a tower or tossed around in a tool
bag, thrown in the back of a truck, or used for a hammer.

If you have ever tried to replace a number of N connectors while on a
tower even the price of the AMP tool becomes very economical.

One thing the Paladin tool has going for it is durabilty. I have dropped
it off of a 60 ft tower without doing any damage. Im not sure if the AMP
tool would handle this.

Jimmie