RadioBanter

-   -   Can you figure out this antenna? (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/1326-can-you-figure-out-antenna.html)

Richard February 28th 04 09:35 AM

Can you figure out this antenna?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=3077597082

This antenna is a mystery. No-one can identify it from the picture. It's
made in Japan and model number is CA-815.

I now have this antenna and can give the dimentions.

| A variable appx 17" (43 Cm)
|
| | B 4" (10 Cm)
| |

| C 59" (150 Cm)

-------------X--------------
D D 28" (71 Cm)

Tube A is adjustable it's about 17" long when in mid position.

B from the outside looks like a 4" long metal tube. A enters the "tube"
from the top, but is insulated from it. Likewise C enters the "tube" from
below and also insulated from it. I wonder if within B is a coil.

Tube C is 59" long.

Radials D are 28" long, but it looks to me as if they have a loading coil
which is located at the beginning. Coils not equal length for eachground
plane radial.

On the information sheet it shows a picture of a radio set they call "BASE
UNIT" It highlights an antenna select switch and tells you to select
external. So, to me, it looks like this antenna is meant for a receiver.

This antenna is ground plane type, it looks like a ground plane.

Hope it can now be identified. I've no idea what it's for. Is it either an
AM or FM outdoor antennna? Or both?

TIA.

Rich.

Bob February 28th 04 03:48 PM

Richard wrote:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=3077597082

Are the 'tubes' solid, or hollow and contain mercury?

Richard February 28th 04 06:43 PM

All the vertical part of the antenna is made of
aluminum tubing. B is a short peice of fatter
aluminum tubing than either A or C. C
electrically connects with A, so I presume
there is a coil within aluminium tube B. Tube
B, at the bottom, looks rivited to tube C.

So I'm saying B is like:

_____|__|_____
| | | |
|____|__|_____|
| | | |
| x |
| x |
| x | B
| x |
| x |
| x |
| x |
|____|__|_____|
| | |-----| Rivet
|____| |_____|
| |

There are insulated collarsat both ends of B.

X represents assumed coil connecting A to C.

[Best viewed with a monospaced font like courier new.

ToolsOptionsReadFont

Richard February 28th 04 08:45 PM

Richard wrote:
All the vertical part of the antenna is made of
aluminum tubing. B is a short peice of fatter
aluminum tubing than either A or C. C
electrically connects with A, so I presume
there is a coil within aluminium tube B. Tube
B, at the bottom, looks rivited to tube C.

So I'm saying B is like:

_____|__|_____
| | | |
|____|__|_____|
| | | |
| x |
| x |
| x | B
| x |
| x |
| x |
| x |
|____|__|_____|
| | |-----| Rivet
|____| |_____|
| |

There are insulated collarsat both ends of B.

X represents assumed coil connecting A to C.

[Best viewed with a monospaced font like courier new.

ToolsOptionsReadFont

Okay I removed tube B and made measurements. Here are
the details that ought to allow someone to do
calculations for the vertical part of the antenna:

| |-------------------
| | |
| | |
| | |
| | |
| | p 19" (48 Cm)
| | A |
_____|__|_____ --- |
| | | | | |
| | | | | |
| | | | q 1.25" |
|____|__|_____| | (3Cm) |
| | | |------------|
| x |
| x |
| x | B
| x |
| x |
| x |
| x |
| | | |------------------
| | | | | |
|____|__|_____| r 1" (2,5 Cm) |
| | | | | |
| | |ooooo|--- Rivet |
|____| |_____| connecting |
| | tube B |
| | to tube C |
| | |
| | s 60" (153 Cm)
| | C |
| | |
| | |
| | |
| |------------------------
^ Feedpoint

Tube B is a 4"(10 Cm) long tube.

Tube B connects to tube C 1" (2,5 Cm)from the
top of tube C. Tube B in fact shrouds the top
1" of tube C. Top of tube C connects to the
bottom end of a coil shown by x's. The top end
of the coil connects to tube A which is 19"
(48 Cm)long.The top part of tube B shrouds
over the bottom part of tube A by 1.25"(3Cm).

I got the inductance of the coil to be appx 3uH.

Length: 24mm
O.D. coil: 23mm
Turns:13
Spacing: Closewound
Wire diameter:1.5mm

So I suppose next task is to calcuate
the resonant frequency of the vertical part
of the antenna. Thing is,is it meant to
be a quarter wave half wave 5/8th wave or
what. The feedpoint impedance I reckon will
be 50 or 75 Ohms. I don't know how to calculate
this.

The 3 radials are 28" (71 Cm)long, but appear
to have small coils at the beginning of the
radials. The coils on two of the radials look
the same, and the coil on the third radial looks
about twice as long as the other two coils. The
smaller coil inductances seems to be very
approximately 0.330 uH, so the inductance of the
larger coil on the third radial is about 0.660 uH.

Smaller radial coils data:

Length: 7.5mm
O.D. of coil: 12mm
Turns: 5
Spacing: Closewound
Wire Diameter: 1.5mm

larger radial coil data:

Length: 7.5mm
O.D. of coil: 24mm
Turns: 5
Spacing: Closewound
Wire Diameter: 1.5mm

Perhaps now these data might help figure
out what frequency this antenna is for.I hope.

Tam/WB2TT February 28th 04 09:03 PM

Richard,

Why don't you go to the web site you referenced, and click on "Ask seller a
question", or doesn't he know? I did not read the whole thing. With the

TYam/WB2TT
"Richard" wrote in message
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=3077597082

This antenna is a mystery. No-one can identify it from the picture. It's
made in Japan and model number is CA-815.

I now have this antenna and can give the dimentions.

| A variable appx 17" (43 Cm)
|
| | B 4" (10 Cm)
| |

CW February 28th 04 09:25 PM

"Richard" wrote in message
- Is it either an
AM or FM outdoor antennna? Or both?

Both.

Richard February 28th 04 10:32 PM

Richard wrote:
Richard wrote:
All the vertical part of the antenna is made of
aluminum tubing. B is a short peice of fatter
aluminum tubing than either A or C. C
electrically connects with A, so I presume
there is a coil within aluminium tube B. Tube
B, at the bottom, looks rivited to tube C.

So I'm saying B is like:

_____|__|_____
| | | |
|____|__|_____|
| | | |
| x |
| x |
| x | B
| x |
| x |
| x |
| x |
|____|__|_____|
| | |-----| Rivet
|____| |_____|
| |

There are insulated collarsat both ends of B.

X represents assumed coil connecting A to C.

[Best viewed with a monospaced font like courier new.

ToolsOptionsReadFont

Okay I removed tube B and made measurements. Here are
the details that ought to allow someone to do
calculations for the vertical part of the antenna:

| |-------------------
| | |
| | |
| | |
| | |
| | p 19" (48 Cm)
| | A |
_____|__|_____ --- |
| | | | | |
| | | | | |
| | | | q 1.25" |
|____|__|_____| | (3Cm) |
| | | |------------|
| x |
| x |
| x | B
| x |
| x |
| x |
| x |
| | | |------------------
| | | | | |
|____|__|_____| r 1" (2,5 Cm) |
| | | | | |
| | |ooooo|--- Rivet |
|____| |_____| connecting |
| | tube B |
| | to tube C |
| | |
| | s 60" (153 Cm)
| | C |
| | |
| | |
| | |
| |------------------------
^ Feedpoint

Tube B is a 4"(10 Cm) long tube.

Tube B connects to tube C 1" (2,5 Cm)from the
top of tube C. Tube B in fact shrouds the top
1" of tube C. Top of tube C connects to the
bottom end of a coil shown by x's. The top end
of the coil connects to tube A which is 19"
(48 Cm)long.The top part of tube B shrouds
over the bottom part of tube A by 1.25"(3Cm).

I got the inductance of the coil to be appx 3uH.

Length: 24mm
O.D. coil: 23mm
Turns:13
Spacing: Closewound
Wire diameter:1.5mm

So I suppose next task is to calcuate
the resonant frequency of the vertical part
of the antenna. Thing is,is it meant to
be a quarter wave half wave 5/8th wave or
what. The feedpoint impedance I reckon will
be 50 or 75 Ohms. I don't know how to calculate
this.

The 3 radials are 28" (71 Cm)long, but appear
to have small coils at the beginning of the
radials. The coils on two of the radials look
the same, and the coil on the third radial looks
about twice as long as the other two coils. The
smaller coil inductances seems to be very
approximately 0.330 uH, so the inductance of the
larger coil on the third radial is about 0.660 uH.

Smaller radial coils data:

Length: 7.5mm
O.D. of coil: 12mm
Turns: 5
Spacing: Closewound
Wire Diameter: 1.5mm

larger radial coil data:

Length: 7.5mm
O.D. of coil: 24mm
Turns: 5
Spacing: Closewound
Wire Diameter: 1.5mm

Perhaps now these data might help figure
out what frequency this antenna is for.I hope.

[Best viewed with a monospaced font like courier new.

ToolsOptionsReadFont

This post is perfect for this group. Now that I've posted all the necessary
the data it ought to be fathomable..

Reg, you must be able to work this antenna out.

Richard February 29th 04 12:58 PM

"Tam/WB2TT" wrote in message
Richard,

Why don't you go to the web site you referenced, and click on "Ask seller

question", or doesn't he know? I did not read the whole thing. With the

The seller does not know.

Funny, but figuring out what frequency an antenna might be for, even with
the physical and electrical parameters spelled out must be more difficult
than I imagined. I'm really surprised that after giving these details lower
down in the thread, the antenna cannot be figured. I'm gobsmacked.

Gary S. February 29th 04 01:19 PM

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 12:58:41 -0000, "Richard"
wrote:

"Tam/WB2TT" wrote in message
Richard,

Why don't you go to the web site you referenced, and click on "Ask seller

question", or doesn't he know? I did not read the whole thing. With the

The seller does not know.

Funny, but figuring out what frequency an antenna might be for, even with
the physical and electrical parameters spelled out must be more difficult
than I imagined. I'm really surprised that after giving these details lower
down in the thread, the antenna cannot be figured. I'm gobsmacked.

You are right in the case of a simple antenna.

examining it far more difficult. You may not have provided every bit
of data required for people to VOLUNTARILY provide you with an answer.

An antenna design book might help, as would some careful testing.

You don't need to determine exactly what it is, you just need a "go/no
go" test for your frequencies of interest. Low power Xmit and an SWR
meter would help.

Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)

Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA

Stevens February 29th 04 03:07 PM

Have you tried to put the model number (I couldn't read it in the
picture) into Google to see what it returns?

Tam/WB2TT February 29th 04 03:08 PM

"Richard" wrote in message

"Tam/WB2TT" wrote in message
Richard,

Why don't you go to the web site you referenced, and click on "Ask

seller
question", or doesn't he know? I did not read the whole thing. With the

The seller does not know.

Funny, but figuring out what frequency an antenna might be for, even with
the physical and electrical parameters spelled out must be more difficult
than I imagined. I'm really surprised that after giving these details

lower
down in the thread, the antenna cannot be figured. I'm gobsmacked.

It can be figured out, but it is a lot of work. If you have the actual
antenna, I would measure the SWR at some frequencies, starting at 10 or 11
meters. Of course, if you have access to an MFJ Antenna analyzer, you are in
luck.

Tam/WB2TT

Richard February 29th 04 04:16 PM

"Stevens" wrote in message
Have you tried to put the model number (I couldn't read it in the
picture) into Google to see what it returns?

Yea, done that and nuthin'.

I wonder what the quarter wave frequency would be for a length of wire 30"
long with a base coil of approximately 0.330uH. Same wonder with a 0.660 uH
coil.

Richard Clark February 29th 04 05:33 PM

wrote:
I'm really surprised that after giving these details lower
down in the thread, the antenna cannot be figured. I'm gobsmacked.

Hi Richard,

You would be even more so if you had sat through a cycle of
correspondence of trying to make sense of the Patent for that same
antenna. We get a lot of that too, and at that point, some may
respond briefly because Patents don't have to make sense. Would you
care to delve into the mysteries of a Faster than Light antenna? Just
needs magnets in the right place (or was that for better gas
mileage?). Some details just don't add up to better understanding.

We even get Patent holders who come here to proclaim their latest
invention, and then ask us how it works - or worse, proclaim it does
work and it is our bound obligation and duty to prove it.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Reg Edwards February 29th 04 05:48 PM

I wonder what the quarter wave frequency would be for a length of wire 30"
long with a base coil of approximately 0.330uH. Same wonder with a 0.660

uH
coil.

====================================

Rich, wonder no longer.

Download program BOTLOAD2.

For a 30" rod -

With base loading coil 0.33 uH, Fres = 69.1 MHz.

With a base loading coil 0.66 uH, Fres = 55.7 MHz.

----
Reg, G4FGQ
.................................................. ..........
Regards from Reg, G4FGQ
For Free Radio Design Software go to
http://www.btinternet.com/~g4fgq.regp
.................................................. ..........

Richard February 29th 04 07:29 PM

"Reg Edwards" wrote in message
I wonder what the quarter wave frequency would be for a length of wire

30"
long with a base coil of approximately 0.330uH. Same wonder with a

0.660
uH
coil.

====================================

Rich, wonder no longer.

Download program BOTLOAD2.

For a 30" rod -

With base loading coil 0.33 uH, Fres = 69.1 MHz.

With a base loading coil 0.66 uH, Fres = 55.7 MHz.

The antenna has three radials, and each has a loading coil right at the
begining.

Now I would have thought that at the feedpoint, the impedance would be low,
so I think then one would assume the radials are suppossed to acting as 1/4
wavelength radials. If that were true, then the freqency at which the
radials are quarter wavelength would be the operating frequency of the
antenna.

I've remeasured the coils after removing the rubber insulation to get a
better look.

For Radial #1

Length: 6mm
O.D.: 11mm
Turns: 9
Pitch: closewound

For Radial #2

Length: 6mm
O.D.: 11mm
Turns: 9
Pitch: closewound

For Radial #3

Lenngth: 13mm
O.D.: 11mm
Turns: 20
Pitch: closewound

I wonder if the coils should all be different, but by mistake the radials 1
& 2 are identical. I just don't know.

The new length of the radial is 72mm orabout 28.5". They are 2mm diameter
stainless steel rods.

I tried to use Botload2, but not sure what I'm doing. Can you please do the
two calculations again Reg? Ta.

Reg Edwards February 29th 04 09:25 PM

I see, you wish to know the two resonant frequencies of the radials.

Measure the dimensions of the radial loading coils and calculate their
inductance. Make no attempt to measure inductance.

First you will have to enter a crude frequency into program BOTLOAD2.

Then insert the overall length of a radial into the program. You MUST
include the length of the loading coil in the length.

Also insert the diameter of the radial in the program.

Use keys 1 and 2 to VARY frequency up and down until the program indicates
the value of loading coil is equal to its actual value. ie., the value you
have calculated from its dimensions.

The frequency at which the indicated coil inductance is equal to the value
you have calculated is the resonant frequency of the radial.

You don't really need the coil-design part of the program. Initially just
enter some crudely correct values for the dimensions. But you can use it to
check your calculation of coil inductance.

You will be using the program in a somewhat different manner to its primary
purpose. You are using it to measure frequency whereas frequency is really
a program input parameter.

The only output parameter you are interested in is coil inductance.

Let me know how you get on.
----
Reg, G4FGQ

==================================

Richard Harrison March 1st 04 01:51 AM

Richard Clark wrote:
"---patents don`t have to make sense."

A search to show the patent application is for something not already
patented is, I think, a part of the process.

This patent search may favor the impractical to the extent that sane
knowing people choose not to pursue the impractical, so no prior patent
may be found.

The patent office may issue a patent for a Yagi / Uda antenna in which
the director is longer than the driven element and the reflector is
shorter than the driven element.

Many patents either don`t work as claimed or have such limited utility
that they aren`t imitated.

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI