RadioBanter

-   -   MA5B background noise (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/135190-ma5b-background-noise.html)

Cecil Moore[_2_] August 2nd 08 04:09 PM

MA5B background noise

John Smith wrote:
On 40m, most run horiz. Horiz-to-horiz is always going to beat
horiz-to-vert.

That would certainly be true for ground-wave. But the
effect is minimized by polarization getting scrambled
through ionospheric reflection.
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com

Cecil Moore[_2_] August 2nd 08 04:10 PM

MA5B background noise

wrote:
Aw, come on Cecil. You just didn't have the vertical oriented right.
Sort of tilt it in the right direction... you know?

You're right, I should have tilted it horizontal. :-)
--
73, Cecil
http://www.w5dxp.com

John Smith August 2nd 08 04:26 PM

MA5B background noise

Cecil Moore wrote:
John Smith wrote:
On 40m, most run horiz. Horiz-to-horiz is always going to beat
horiz-to-vert.

That would certainly be true for ground-wave. But the
effect is minimized by polarization getting scrambled
through ionospheric reflection.

True, but isn't the horiz better suited for placing more signal in a
skywave which is, generally, more useful? i.e., a high vertical can put
a whopping skywave signal into Australia--but is better suited for
ground wave in USA--while a horiz does an acceptable ground wave and
skywave here in the USA, and the world, of course ... ? (and of course,
there are exceptions) Etc. It seems that way for me, anyway ...
verticals are my main choice from necessity ... however, thank God I
dumped that "big property" at the top of the market for this smaller
place! grinning-ear-to-ear I'd imagine, by the end of the year, or
middle of next, I can buy back the old place for 1/3 to 1/4 of what I
sold it for, IMHO we are just at the beginning of the "downhill run!"
having-a-heart-attack-from-sheer-joy!

Life is good ...

Regards,
JS

[email protected] August 29th 08 04:27 PM

MA5B background noise

Hi andy, i have a MA5B with s-9 noise, after much sniffing it was a tv
on the same ac line as some radio equipment, i switched the outlet and
the noise 90% disapeared, hope this helps,73 john
Andy wrote:
I have finally got my Cushcraft MA5B up in the air. But I am very
disappointed with it.

Is it normal for this antenna to have a lot of background noise behind
strong signals 9+?

The reason I ask is that I also own a cobwebb antenna and the side by side
comparison between them, there is no background hiss on the same strong
signals on the cobwebb S4 - 9+ but there is on the same signal on the MA5B
and it is enough to make listening on the MA5B very unpleasant even at S9+.

Is this normal?

73 Andy

Andy[_5_] September 6th 08 05:47 PM

MA5B background noise

Hi John
I will see if the next-door neighbours will unplug there's and see if that's
the problem.
I have had everything disconnected in here and the noise was still there.

73

Andy