RadioBanter

-   -   Ham or CB Antenna? (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/135876-ham-cb-antenna.html)

DES August 18th 08 11:55 PM

Ham or CB Antenna?

Bad picture, but can someone tell me if the antenna on top of the
tower is for a Ham or CB radio? (I know the one on the left is a EV
ant :)

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p...e/IM002446.jpg

David G. Nagel August 19th 08 01:20 AM

Ham or CB Antenna?

DES wrote:
Bad picture, but can someone tell me if the antenna on top of the
tower is for a Ham or CB radio? (I know the one on the left is a EV
ant :)

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p...e/IM002446.jpg

In that the antenna/beam is vertical it is most likely a CB beam
antenna. An amateur radio antenna would be horizontal.

Dave WD9BDZ

Ed August 19th 08 06:03 AM

Ham or CB Antenna?

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p...e/IM002446.jpg

In that the antenna/beam is vertical it is most likely a CB beam
antenna. An amateur radio antenna would be horizontal.

Dave WD9BDZ

Agreed.

Tam/WB2TT

I have operated 10M FM in the past... using ground planes and vertical
dipoles. It is possible that that is a devoted 10M FM ham. However,
I'll admit, not likely, and is probably a CB amtemma.

Ed K7AAT

[email protected] August 19th 08 06:08 AM

Ham or CB Antenna?

Without some reference for size, anything would only be a guess.
The most common guess would be either a 10 or 11 meter antenna, since
it appears to at least be in that range, sort of. After that, it's
only a guess.
- 'Doc

Geoffrey S. Mendelson August 19th 08 09:09 AM

Ham or CB Antenna?

DES wrote:
Bad picture, but can someone tell me if the antenna on top of the
tower is for a Ham or CB radio? (I know the one on the left is a EV
ant :)

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p...e/IM002446.jpg

Could be a 6m beam.

Geoff.

Ed Cregger August 19th 08 01:31 PM

Ham or CB Antenna?

I seriously doubt that the antenna knows the difference. 8)

I can't see the image very well, but it looks like (to me) that there are
two larger and two smaller elements on the mast. As I said, the image isn't
very clear, so I could be mistaken.

Problem is, I can't think of a dual band antenna that would use that much
spacing between the two interior smaller elements. But what do I know?

Ed, NM2K

Ed Cregger August 19th 08 01:32 PM

Ham or CB Antenna?

DES wrote:
Bad picture, but can someone tell me if the antenna on top of the
tower is for a Ham or CB radio? (I know the one on the left is a EV
ant :)

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p...e/IM002446.jpg

In that the antenna/beam is vertical it is most likely a CB beam antenna.
An amateur radio antenna would be horizontal.

Dave WD9BDZ

-----------

Unless this antenna was used to work a 10 meter repeater.

Ed, NM2K

Ed Cregger August 19th 08 01:34 PM

Ham or CB Antenna?

"Geoffrey S. Mendelson" wrote in message
DES wrote:
Bad picture, but can someone tell me if the antenna on top of the
tower is for a Ham or CB radio? (I know the one on the left is a EV
ant :)

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p...e/IM002446.jpg

Could be a 6m beam.

Geoff.

Yep.

Or it could be and dual band 10 and 6 meter beam. To me, the interior two
elements look considerably shorter than the end elements. Could be just my
eyes.

Ed, NM2K

DES August 19th 08 01:50 PM

Ham or CB Antenna?

OK, I'm gonna try and get a better picture for you guys, but it won't
be today because it's pouring down rain.