RadioBanter

-   -   HF Diversity reception ? (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/138566-re-hf-diversity-reception.html)

Richard Harrison November 14th 08 07:11 PM

HF Diversity reception ?

Henry Kolesnik wrote:
"What were some other names for the device that RCA called a tone
decoder?"

CTCSS is often called PL tone (for Private Line, a trademark of Motorola
to describe their implementation of Continuous Tone Coded Squelch
System).

Best regards, Richaard Harrison, KB5WZI

Dave[_18_] November 15th 08 04:11 AM

HF Diversity reception ?

Richard Harrison wrote:
Henry Kolesnik wrote:
"What were some other names for the device that RCA called a tone
decoder?"

CTCSS is often called PL tone (for Private Line, a trademark of Motorola
to describe their implementation of Continuous Tone Coded Squelch
System).

Best regards, Richaard Harrison, KB5WZI

Continuous Tone Coded Subaudible Squelch

Henry Kolesnik November 15th 08 04:44 PM

HF Diversity reception ?

Hey Guys
I made an error when I called the RCA device that selects the best Rx a
Tone Decoder, it's called a Tone Keyer. It selects the strongest of 3
HF Rx signals and amplifies it. What did the other HF diversity makers
call Tone Keyer.
I know about CTCSS but its unrelated to my query.
Thanks
Hank

Hank

Dave[_18_] November 15th 08 05:49 PM

HF Diversity reception ?

"Dave" wrote in message
Richard Harrison wrote:
Henry Kolesnik wrote:
"What were some other names for the device that RCA called a tone
decoder?"

CTCSS is often called PL tone (for Private Line, a trademark of Motorola
to describe their implementation of Continuous Tone Coded Squelch
System).

Best regards, Richaard Harrison, KB5WZI

Continuous Tone Coded Subaudible Squelch

I had a "Westinghouse" dual version of the Racal RA-117 with 2 RF
chains. There was a "voter" of some kind that went with it, but I did
not have that part.

Richard Harrison November 16th 08 06:26 PM

HF Diversity reception ?

Dave wrote:
"Continuous Tone Coded Subaudible Squelch"

I like that better than "Continuous Tone Coded Squelch System" as
"System" is nondescriptive.

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI

Dave[_18_] November 16th 08 07:20 PM

HF Diversity reception ?

Richard Harrison wrote:
Dave wrote:
"Continuous Tone Coded Subaudible Squelch"

I like that better than "Continuous Tone Coded Squelch System" as
"System" is nondescriptive.

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI

I think it's from the MOCOM 70 Service Manual. Motorola called it
"Private Line".

Cecil Moore[_2_] November 20th 08 10:05 PM

HF Diversity reception ?

Dave wrote:
Motorola called it "Private Line".

Thanks Dave, I was trying to remember "PL tones".
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com

JosephKK[_2_] November 27th 08 03:12 AM

HF Diversity reception ?

On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 19:20:11 +0000, Dave wrote:

Richard Harrison wrote:
Dave wrote:
"Continuous Tone Coded Subaudible Squelch"

I like that better than "Continuous Tone Coded Squelch System" as
"System" is nondescriptive.

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI

I think it's from the MOCOM 70 Service Manual. Motorola called it
"Private Line".

Since it appears that you do not want a telephone DTMF decoder what is
it that you want to decode?

Dave[_18_] November 27th 08 12:57 PM

HF Diversity reception ?

Richard Harrison wrote:
Dave wrote:
"Continuous Tone Coded Subaudible Squelch"

I like that better than "Continuous Tone Coded Squelch System" as
"System" is nondescriptive.

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI

I think it's from the MOCOM 70 Service Manual. Motorola called it
"Private Line".

Since it appears that you do not want a telephone DTMF decoder what is
it that you want to decode?

No decoding involved. It's a tone that unsquelches an FM radio.

JosephKK[_2_] November 30th 08 09:44 PM

HF Diversity reception ?

Richard Harrison wrote:
Dave wrote:
"Continuous Tone Coded Subaudible Squelch"

I like that better than "Continuous Tone Coded Squelch System" as
"System" is nondescriptive.

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI

I think it's from the MOCOM 70 Service Manual. Motorola called it
"Private Line".

Since it appears that you do not want a telephone DTMF decoder what is
it that you want to decode?

No decoding involved. It's a tone that unsquelches an FM radio.

Which make and model / series? There are dozens of variations.