RadioBanter

-   -   Velocity Factor of Coax (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/140805-velocity-factor-coax.html)

Howard Kowall February 9th 09 09:26 PM

Velocity Factor of Coax

Hello all
What determines the Velocity Factor of a coax cable.
Is it the center conductor awg,dielectric,shield or all combined
I am building a
Lindenblad Antenna for 2 Meters

its asked to use

RG-59 polyethylene foam coax with stranded center conductor

I think the VF is .66

I cant find any stranded center cond where I am,so I want to try it with
Solid,but it seems all the solid is VF .88

anyone have any input on this

thanx

howard

Howard Kowall February 9th 09 09:30 PM

Velocity Factor of Coax

sorry I should mention the RG-59 is used for impedance matching not feed
line
thanks again
Howard

christofire February 9th 09 10:37 PM

Velocity Factor of Coax

"Howard Kowall" wrote in message
sorry I should mention the RG-59 is used for impedance matching not feed
line
thanks again
Howard

"Howard Kowall" wrote in message
Hello all
What determines the Velocity Factor of a coax cable.
Is it the center conductor awg,dielectric,shield or all combined
I am building a
Lindenblad Antenna for 2 Meters

its asked to use

RG-59 polyethylene foam coax with stranded center conductor

I think the VF is .66

I cant find any stranded center cond where I am,so I want to try it with
Solid,but it seems all the solid is VF .88

anyone have any input on this

thanx

howard

It's principally the relative permittivity of the dielectric that determines
the velocity factor. Air alone would yield a value of unity but the
presence of a spacer of some sort means practical values are smaller. Foam
can get close to air.

I wonder why you need a Lindenblad for 2 metres - do you really need good
circular polarisation over a range of elevation angles (and omni HRP, of
course)?

Chris

Richard Fry February 9th 09 11:24 PM

Velocity Factor of Coax

On Feb 9, 3:26*pm, "Howard Kowall" wrote:
What determines the *Velocity Factor of a coax cable.
Is it the center conductor awg,dielectric,shield or all combined
I am building a Lindenblad Antenna for 2 Meters.

The velocity of propagation (v.p.) in each branch of the feed harness
won't affect the relative field radiation pattern of such an antenna
array as long as the same electrical lengths of coax are used between
the power divider outputs and the feedpoint of each element of the
array.

The v.p. of the main transmission line from the tx to the input of of
the antenna power divider in this scenario is irrelevant.

RF

Jerry[_5_] February 10th 09 12:44 AM

Velocity Factor of Coax

"Howard Kowall" wrote in message
Hello all
What determines the Velocity Factor of a coax cable.
Is it the center conductor awg,dielectric,shield or all combined
I am building a
Lindenblad Antenna for 2 Meters

its asked to use

RG-59 polyethylene foam coax with stranded center conductor

I think the VF is .66

I cant find any stranded center cond where I am,so I want to try it with
Solid,but it seems all the solid is VF .88

anyone have any input on this

thanx

howard

Hi Howard

I am interested in reception of CP signals from all points within the
upper hemisphere. I am curious about your purpose for this Lindenblad.

Jerry KD6JDJ

christofire February 10th 09 01:10 AM

Velocity Factor of Coax

"Jerry" wrote in message

"Howard Kowall" wrote in message
Hello all
What determines the Velocity Factor of a coax cable.
Is it the center conductor awg,dielectric,shield or all combined
I am building a
Lindenblad Antenna for 2 Meters

its asked to use

RG-59 polyethylene foam coax with stranded center conductor

I think the VF is .66

I cant find any stranded center cond where I am,so I want to try it with
Solid,but it seems all the solid is VF .88

anyone have any input on this

thanx

howard

Hi Howard

I am interested in reception of CP signals from all points within the
upper hemisphere. I am curious about your purpose for this Lindenblad.

Jerry KD6JDJ

Ever tried crossed 'wilted' dipoles?

Chris

Jeff Liebermann[_2_] February 10th 09 03:13 AM

Velocity Factor of Coax

On Mon, 9 Feb 2009 15:30:50 -0600, "Howard Kowall"
wrote:

sorry I should mention the RG-59 is used for impedance matching not feed
line
thanks again
Howard

"Howard Kowall" wrote in message
Hello all
What determines the Velocity Factor of a coax cable.
Is it the center conductor awg,dielectric,shield or all combined
I am building a
Lindenblad Antenna for 2 Meters

its asked to use

RG-59 polyethylene foam coax with stranded center conductor

I think the VF is .66

I cant find any stranded center cond where I am,so I want to try it with
Solid,but it seems all the solid is VF .88

You might want to consider using RG-6/u instead of RG-59. These daze,
the quality of RG-59 coax is rather marginal. I've seen 80% coverage
shielding and cable unsuitable for outdoor use. Meanwhile, the CATV
people have switched to RG-6/u for everything. Much of it is quad
shielded and UV resistant. Velocity factor is usually 0.66 for solid
dielectric and anywhere between 0.7 and 0.9 for various foam
dielectric mixes. When you find a suitable piece of cable, grab the
manufacturer and full part number. Then, lookup the VF on the mfg
data sheet.

# 831-336-2558
#
http://802.11junk.com
#
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com AE6KS

Howard Kowall February 10th 09 03:25 AM

Velocity Factor of Coax

hello all
thanks all who read and emailed back
lot of good info came in and I have a good handle on it
I am building this antenna for rhcp portable satellite antenna for LEO Ham
Radio Sat

Roy Lewallen February 10th 09 03:37 AM

Velocity Factor of Coax

I've found quite a variation in foamed dielectric cable velocity factor
from lot to lot of the same brand and type, even with major brands.
Apparently they don't control the density of the dielectric very well.
So if you're planning on using foamed dielectric cable in an application
where VF is important, I highly recommend that you measure the VF of a
sample from the same piece you'll be using.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

Jerry[_5_] February 10th 09 04:09 AM

Velocity Factor of Coax

[...]

The Lindenblad has an overhead null that you might find anoying for some
high elevation passes of LEOs.
Are you open to trying to build a DCA (which is an antenna that I
developed)? I make the claim that there is no other hemispheric coverage
antenna design that performs better than a DCA. But, I sure am open to
being corrected.
The Feb 2008 QST contains an article on the DCA antenna design concept.
It is my claim that a DCA is extreemely forgiving of construction errors
and uses 4 wire dipoles and 50 ohm coax with 5 RFI type ferrites as
"baluns'.

Jerry KD6JDJ