RadioBanter

-   -   Twin lead versous Ladder LIne: (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/145105-twin-lead-versous-ladder-line.html)

Howard Kowall July 8th 09 02:52 PM

Twin lead versous Ladder LIne:

Hello to all
Going to build a Mystery Antenna to take to the lake for 2 weeks
http://www.w5gi.com/mysteryantenna.htm
It says to use 300 or 450 ohm window line.What I am asking if there is a
real big diff if I use 300 Twin Lead.
I realize that the power handling capacity is reduced,but I will be only
running a max of 100w for a short duty cycle(not a big talker).
And I also realize that it is not mechanically as strong.Has anyone have
some thoughts on this.
I will be using a manual tuner on this type of antenna.
Thanks to all in advance
Howard
VE4ISP

Tim Shoppa July 8th 09 03:57 PM

On Jul 8, 9:52*am, "Howard Kowall" wrote:
Hello to all
Going to build a Mystery Antenna *to take to the lake for 2 weekshttp://www.w5gi.com/mysteryantenna.htm
It says to use 300 or 450 ohm window line.What I am asking if there is *a
real big diff *if I use 300 Twin Lead.
I realize that the power handling capacity is reduced,but I will be only
running a max of 100w for a short duty cycle(not a big talker).
And I also realize that it is not mechanically as strong.Has anyone have
some thoughts on this.
I will be using a manual tuner on this type of antenna.
Thanks to all in advance
Howard
VE4ISP

TV-type twin lead will in general have markedly worse characteristics
when there's water on the line. 100W won't be a problem until moisture
soaks in.

There are several different types of ham window line with different
gauge conductors and solid vs stranded. Copper-plated-steel window
line like sold by Wireman and others has a handy property: it
remembers that it was originally coiled which can help with stowing it
for portable/occasional use. Handle it wrong and it'll wrap around you
like a cobra :-).

True ladder line (all empty space except for spacer rods) will be
superior to either twinlead or window line.

Any antenna beats no antenna, so don't fret the details too much in an
effort to perfectly clone someone else's setup. Just getting any wire
into the air and loading up into it ought to be the first goal, not
making the pefect clone of someone else's mystery antenna.

Tim.

Owen Duffy July 8th 09 10:24 PM

Twin lead versous Ladder LIne:

"Howard Kowall" wrote in
:

Hello to all
Going to build a Mystery Antenna to take to the lake for 2 weeks
http://www.w5gi.com/mysteryantenna.htm
It says to use 300 or 450 ohm window line.What I am asking if there is
a real big diff if I use 300 Twin Lead.

FWIW, W5GI does say on his web page "Window-type 18 gauge 300 ohm ribbon
works best."

I realize that the power handling capacity is reduced,but I will be
only running a max of 100w for a short duty cycle(not a big talker).
And I also realize that it is not mechanically as strong.Has anyone
have some thoughts on this.

I have written some notes on the "Mystery Antenna" at
http://www.w5gi.com/mysteryantenna.htm .

Owen

Jim Lux July 9th 09 12:11 AM

Twin lead versous Ladder LIne:

Owen Duffy wrote:
"Howard Kowall" wrote in
:

Hello to all
Going to build a Mystery Antenna to take to the lake for 2 weeks
http://www.w5gi.com/mysteryantenna.htm
It says to use 300 or 450 ohm window line.What I am asking if there is
a real big diff if I use 300 Twin Lead.

FWIW, W5GI does say on his web page "Window-type 18 gauge 300 ohm ribbon
works best."

I realize that the power handling capacity is reduced,but I will be
only running a max of 100w for a short duty cycle(not a big talker).
And I also realize that it is not mechanically as strong.Has anyone
have some thoughts on this.

I have written some notes on the "Mystery Antenna" at
http://www.w5gi.com/mysteryantenna.htm .

Owen

I assume you meant he
http://vk1od.net/antenna/W5GI/

Owen Duffy July 9th 09 01:38 AM

Twin lead versous Ladder LIne:

Jim Lux wrote in
:

Owen Duffy wrote:

I have written some notes on the "Mystery Antenna" at
http://www.w5gi.com/mysteryantenna.htm .

Owen

I assume you meant he
http://vk1od.net/antenna/W5GI/