RadioBanter

-   -   Minimum gauge wire for connection to ground rod (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/145733-minimum-gauge-wire-connection-ground-rod.html)

KJ4NTS[_2_] August 3rd 09 03:58 AM

Minimum gauge wire for connection to ground rod

I have about a 50 foot run from my radio to the outside ground rod. What's the minimum gauge wire
that is acceptable for this connection?

Richard Clark August 3rd 09 05:24 AM

On Mon, 3 Aug 2009 02:58:29 GMT, "KJ4NTS" wrote:
What's the minimum gauge wire that is acceptable for this connection?

Code.

KJ4NTS[_2_] August 3rd 09 10:53 AM

On 2-Aug-2009, Richard Clark wrote:

What's the minimum gauge wire that is acceptable for this connection?

Code.

I'm not aware of any electrical code that covers the wire gauge required to ground an amateur radio
and antenna.

Brad August 3rd 09 11:16 AM

On Aug 3, 7:53*pm, "KJ4NTS" wrote:
On *2-Aug-2009, Richard Clark wrote:

What's the minimum gauge wire that is acceptable for this connection?

Code.

I'm not aware of any electrical code that covers the wire gauge required to ground an amateur radio
and antenna.

Is this intended as an RF ground or lightning protection?

KJ4NTS[_2_] August 3rd 09 11:28 AM

On 3-Aug-2009, Brad wrote:

Is this intended as an RF ground or lightning protection?

Primarily an RF ground since the antennas will be in my attic. However, I would appreciate the
information for both cases.

Richard Clark August 3rd 09 03:31 PM

On Mon, 3 Aug 2009 09:53:56 GMT, "KJ4NTS" wrote:
What's the minimum gauge wire that is acceptable for this connection?

Code.

I'm not aware of any electrical code that covers the wire gauge required to ground an amateur radio
and antenna.

Get acquainted. It is a very simple matter of a non-trivial issue.

JB[_3_] August 3rd 09 04:01 PM

"KJ4NTS" wrote in message

On 3-Aug-2009, Brad wrote:

Is this intended as an RF ground or lightning protection?

Primarily an RF ground since the antennas will be in my attic. However, I

would appreciate the
information for both cases.

I think code calls for #6 solid Copper or Aluminum for lightning protection.
Consider the 50 ft as part of the antenna though. Rather than even trying
to have an RF "ground" try to make a counterpoise instead. Read up on the
difference between RF ground, lightning ground, and electrical ground. You
don't say what kind of antenna.

Art Unwin August 3rd 09 04:54 PM

On Aug 3, 10:01*am, "JB" wrote:
"KJ4NTS" wrote in message

On *3-Aug-2009, Brad wrote:

Is this intended as an RF ground or lightning protection?

Primarily an RF ground since the antennas will be in my attic. *However, I

would appreciate the

information for both cases.

I think code calls for #6 solid Copper or Aluminum for lightning protection.
Consider the 50 ft as part of the antenna though. *Rather than even trying
to have an RF "ground" try to make a counterpoise instead. *Read up on the
difference between RF ground, lightning ground, and electrical ground. *You
don't say what kind of antenna.

Interesting question.
The poster is in an attic which suggests he will need a very long wire
to get to a "ground." Presumably the chassis of his radio is
connected to a "ground" at a service pole via the power plug.
The antenna I assume is floating above "ground" via a inter connecting
capacitor of a low breakdown voltage to the chassis. So one has to ask
what an added "ground" wire is going to do for you and what
disadvantages with respect to protections it is it putting in place?

KJ4NTS[_2_] August 3rd 09 06:07 PM

On 3-Aug-2009, "JB" wrote:

Primarily an RF ground since the antennas will be in my attic. However, I

would appreciate the
information for both cases.

I think code calls for #6 solid Copper or Aluminum for lightning protection.
Consider the 50 ft as part of the antenna though. Rather than even trying
to have an RF "ground" try to make a counterpoise instead. Read up on the
difference between RF ground, lightning ground, and electrical ground. You
don't say what kind of antenna.

I could put a surface wire counterpoise in the crawl space under my office where the radio is
located. If I did that, there would be only about a 5 or 6 foot run to the center point of the
counterpoise.

Assuming the counterpoise wires are laying on the dirt floor of the crawl space, how many wires
would I need, and how long do they need to be. I want to be able to work 6 through 40 meters.

If I install a wire counterpoise like this, is there any problem also connecting the earth ground
connection to the central ground bar in my office?

The attic antenna is an Alpha Delta DX-EE.

Michael Coslo August 3rd 09 06:19 PM

Richard Clark wrote:
On Mon, 3 Aug 2009 09:53:56 GMT, "KJ4NTS" wrote:
What's the minimum gauge wire that is acceptable for this connection?

Code.

I'm not aware of any electrical code that covers the wire gauge required to ground an amateur radio
and antenna.

Get acquainted. It is a very simple matter of a non-trivial issue.

http://tinyurl.com/ns7jjd

Is a nice station grounding pdf from Polyphasor. Sorry for the tinyurl,
the original url is a mile long.

Everyone should have a copy, and the writer should get an award for his
or her clarity.

Richard is correct. It is simple, and it is not trivial.

- 73 de Mike N3LI -