RadioBanter

-   -   ART vs. W8JI (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/146383-art-vs-w8ji.html)

Dale Parfitt[_3_] September 2nd 09 08:01 PM

ART vs. W8JI

Arrt,
I have repeatedly asked you to supply us with your original quote from
W8JI's page concerning a straight radiator is the best. Will you please do
so?
Now, there's an entire thread on this and no where any foundation.
Dale W4OP

Art Unwin September 2nd 09 08:49 PM

ART vs. W8JI

On Sep 2, 2:01*pm, "Dale Parfitt" wrote:
Arrt,
I have repeatedly asked you to supply us with your original quote from
W8JI's page concerning a straight radiator is the best. Will you please do
so?
Now, there's an entire thread on this and no where any foundation.
Dale W4OP

And no real discussion here either! You did not contribute

Dale, you can cry and cry and moan as much as you want. I will not let
you bully me and I am not at your beck and call.
If you have a comment with respect to the advantages of a radiater
being straight or not then go ahead and speak .If you feel hurt send
an E mail to Tom. Failing that go to QRZ yourself where I told you to
go.
Sooner or later you will have to get up from your couch

'Doc September 3rd 09 12:24 AM

ART vs. W8JI

Dale,
You should know better than that. Asking Art to prove something? You
gotta be kidding.
- 'Doc

Art Unwin September 3rd 09 12:54 AM

ART vs. W8JI

On Sep 2, 6:24*pm, "'Doc" wrote:
Dale,
You should know better than that. *Asking Art to prove something? *You
gotta be kidding.
*- 'Doc

And why not? This is a discussion group. Any one can concur or
challenge
the statement. If I supply the proof of anything then silly attacks
begin
I can handle them but it does not improve on my knoweledge.
I will state right now that overall size or straightness of a radiator
is not
implied in Maxwell's laws in any way. So I would like to know where
that notion came from.
Is that so bad?
So Doctor, what have you got to offer regarding radiator straightness
as a person skilled in the art ?

JIMMIE September 3rd 09 01:29 AM

ART vs. W8JI

On Sep 2, 7:54*pm, Art Unwin wrote:
On Sep 2, 6:24*pm, "'Doc" wrote:

Dale,
You should know better than that. *Asking Art to prove something? *You
gotta be kidding.
*- 'Doc

And why not? This is a discussion group. Any one can concur or
challenge
the statement. If I supply the proof of anything then silly attacks
begin
I can handle them but it does not improve on my knoweledge.
I will state right now that overall size or straightness of a radiator
is not
implied in Maxwell's laws in any way. So I would like to know where
that notion came from.
Is that so bad?
So Doctor, what have you got to offer regarding radiator straightness
as a person skilled in the art ?

Art, you already conceded to an exercise in futility that was a very
good example of a bent antenna in its worst case. You would think you
would have learned your lesson.

Jimmie

Cecil Moore[_2_] September 3rd 09 01:34 AM

ART vs. W8JI

Dale Parfitt wrote:
I have repeatedly asked you to supply us with your original quote from
W8JI's page concerning a straight radiator is the best.

Quoting W8JI's web page:
"How do we make a small antenna as efficient as possible?"
"... we make the antenna as large and straight as possible in a line.
We don't fold, bend, zigzag, or curve the antenna especially in the
high current areas."

I don't know what the fuss is all about. Transmission line
currents don't radiate (much) because they are out of phase.

Random folding of an antenna more often than not introduces
transmission line currents into the antenna itself - not
good for radiation purposes.

Transmission line currents cause destructive interference -
that's good for transferring power from one place to another
but not good for radiating RF.

There are certain special-case antennas where folding occurs
without introducing destructive interference, e.g. a 1/2WL
folded dipole or a full-wave quad where the wires are a
large enough percentage of a wavelength apart so they don't
cause near-field destructive interference.

Hint: RF radiation cannot be understood without understanding
constructive and destructive interference in the near, medium,
and far fields.
--
73, Cecil, IEEE, OOTC, http://www.w5dxp.com

tom September 3rd 09 01:41 AM

ART vs. W8JI

Cecil Moore wrote:
There are certain special-case antennas where folding occurs
without introducing destructive interference, e.g. a 1/2WL
folded dipole or a full-wave quad where the wires are a

Cecil, you should know by now that a half wave dipole of any type
couldn't be all that efficient or effective. Art says so.

tom
K0TAR

Dale Parfitt[_3_] September 3rd 09 01:42 AM

ART vs. W8JI

"Cecil Moore" wrote in message
Dale Parfitt wrote:
[...]

Thank you Cecil,
That's all I was looking for.

Dale W4OP

Art Unwin September 3rd 09 03:37 AM

ART vs. W8JI

On Sep 2, 7:34*pm, Cecil Moore wrote:
Dale Parfitt wrote:
[...]

Cecil
It is not related to volume. It is because they are both closed
circuits thus all radiation
can be accounted for i.e. all the circuit wire contribute to
radiation. Any length less than 1WL does not !
If one introduces lumped loads then you have to cancel them, no
problem. Maxwell clearly stated that we are dealing with distributed
loads only, ie root L.C. The inclusion of volume is only because some
people cling to the magnetic field theory as opposed to the particle
theory. Equilibrium allows for multiple shapes and sizes for
achievement
Regards
Art

Cecil Moore[_2_] September 3rd 09 12:19 PM

ART vs. W8JI

tom wrote:
Cecil, you should know by now that a half wave dipole of any type
couldn't be all that efficient or effective. Art says so.

Art might be quick to point out that there is one
wavelength of wire in a 1/2WL folded dipole. :-)
--
73, Cecil, IEEE, OOTC, http://www.w5dxp.com

Richard Fry September 3rd 09 03:13 PM

ART vs. W8JI

Art might be quick to point out that there is one
wavelength of wire in a 1/2WL folded dipole. :-)

_______________-

But does Art realize that a 1/2-wave dipole is a fractional wavelength
radiator that couldn't possibly have his definition of "equilibrium,"
yet it has the same measured pattern and gain as a 1/2-wave folded
dipole?

RF

Art Unwin September 3rd 09 04:26 PM

ART vs. W8JI

On Sep 3, 9:13*am, Richard Fry wrote:
Art might be quick to point out that there is one
wavelength of wire in a 1/2WL folded dipole. :-)

_______________-

But does Art realize that a 1/2-wave dipole is a fractional wavelength
radiator that couldn't possibly have his definition of "equilibrium,"
yet it has the same measured pattern and gain as a 1/2-wave folded
dipole?

RF

Yes, that is correct, but the power used on a 1/2 wave dipole is half
that of a full wave.
A closely folded dipole radiates the same as a Quad . View Cebik's
comments on this

Richard Fry September 3rd 09 04:58 PM

ART vs. W8JI

On Sep 3, 10:26*am, Art Unwin wrote:

Yes, that is correct, but the power used on a 1/2 wave dipole is
half that of a full wave.

A full wave what? Are you calling a folded 1/2-wave dipole a full-
wave antenna?

For equal, matched power applied either to a 1/2-wave dipole or to a
folded 1/2-wave dipole, and although their feedpoint currents will be
different, both configurations will generate the same values of field
intensity.

Also how do you explain this, given that the 1/2-wave dipole by your
definition does not have "equilibrium?"

RF

Cecil Moore[_2_] September 4th 09 01:04 PM

ART vs. W8JI

Dale Parfitt wrote:
Thank you Cecil,
That's all I was looking for.

You're welcome and I agree with 95% of what W8JI says.
(For instance, he is mistaken about the delay through
a 100T, 10TPI, 2" diameter 75m loading coil.)

Some may or may not understand why random folding
of antenna radiators tends to change the radiating
conductors into non-radiating conductors. (The same
effect is at work in loading coils.)

When two conductors are carrying differential coherent
currents with no common-mode current, there is negligible
radiation when the two conductors are parallel to
each other and the spacing is a very small fraction of
a wavelength. It's called a transmission line and most
of the losses at HF are I^2*R. Usually, one of the goals
of a transmission line is not to radiate. Transmission line
fields tend to cancel in the near field due to destructive
interference.

A single straight wire in free space is a very efficient
radiator because interference occurs mostly in the far
field. Fold it back upon itself and unless the
second conductor is positioned perfectly, there will exist
differential currents between the two conductors which
will tend to cancel the radiation - leaving mostly I^2*R
losses at HF.

Small folded/loaded antennas tend to cancel the radiating
fields. The only other avenue for a lot of the energy is
conversion to heat.
--
73, Cecil, IEEE, OOTC, http://www.w5dxp.com

Richard Fry September 4th 09 01:23 PM

ART vs. W8JI

On Sep 3, 10:26*am, Art Unwin wrote:

Yes, that is correct, but the power used on a 1/2 wave dipole
is half that of a full wave.

On the chance that you meant a full-wave dipole in your quote above, I
did a quick comparison of one with a 1/2-wave dipole (linked below).

The peak, intrinsic gain of the full-wave is about 1.6 dB greater than
the 1/2-wave -- which is due to the narrower lobe it produces. This
has nothing to do with "equilibrium."

The 2,082 -j583 ohm input Z of the full-wave version is not user
friendly. But if zero-loss matching networks are used at the
feedpoint of both antennas, then for EQUAL applied power to each, the
peak field intensity produced by the full-wave dipole would be about
1.6 dB (20%) greater than from the 1/2-wave version.

If the power applied to the full wave dipole was 1.6 dB less than
applied to the 1/2-wave dipole, then their measured peak fields would
be identical. But that is not a power reduction of one half (3 dB),
as in your statement, Art.

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h8...CompareArt.jpg

RF

Michael Coslo September 4th 09 02:34 PM

ART vs. W8JI

Cecil Moore wrote:
Dale Parfitt wrote:
Thank you Cecil,
That's all I was looking for.

You're welcome and I agree with 95% of what W8JI says.
(For instance, he is mistaken about the delay through
a 100T, 10TPI, 2" diameter 75m loading coil.)

Some may or may not understand why random folding
of antenna radiators tends to change the radiating
conductors into non-radiating conductors. (The same
effect is at work in loading coils.)

Any relation to the loosely wrapped "coils" of shortened verticals like
bug catchers?

- 73 de Mike N3LI -

Cecil Moore[_2_] September 4th 09 02:54 PM

ART vs. W8JI

Richard Fry wrote:
If the power applied to the full wave dipole was 1.6 dB less than
applied to the 1/2-wave dipole, then their measured peak fields would
be identical. But that is not a power reduction of one half (3 dB),

Increase the length of the one wavelength dipole to a
1.25WL EDZ and the maximum gain indeed does increase by
~3dB over a 1/2WL dipole. Consider that the highest gain
for a single-wire antenna with a figure-8 radiation pattern
occurs with a feedpoint impedance of ~175-j1000 ohms, i.e.
the antenna wire, by itself, is *non-resonant*. A parasitic
element 1.25WL long would have a negligible effect on an
antenna system. :-0

Consider that if one disconnects the feedline from a 1/2WL
center-fed dipole, the two remaining 1/4WL wires separated
by an insulator are *non-resonant*. Breaking guy wires into
1/4WL separated by insulators is one way of avoiding
resonance. :-)
--
73, Cecil, IEEE, OOTC, http://www.w5dxp.com

Cecil Moore[_2_] September 4th 09 03:30 PM

ART vs. W8JI

Michael Coslo wrote:
Any relation to the loosely wrapped "coils" of shortened verticals like
bug catchers?

Take a look at the geometry. Assuming that the current on one
side of a turn on the coil is equal to the current on the
opposite side of the coil but traveling in the opposite direction,
one can see why those two currents per turn resemble transmission
line currents (differential) rather than antenna currents (common-
mode). (A 10" coil wound with 1/2WL of wire radiates roughly the
same amount of energy as a 10" straight wire.)

Physically large air-core loading coils can be modeled as a
transmission line with a Z0 and VF (delay).

http://hamwaves.com/antennas/inductance.html

The delay through the coil can be calculated by knowing the
Beta = _____ rad/m "Axial propagation factor of n=0 sheath
helix waveguide mode at the design frequency"

The VF of W8JI's 100T, 10TPI, 2" dia test coil calculates
out to be ~0.03 resulting in a ~25 nS (~37 deg) delay
through the coil at 4 MHz.
--
73, Cecil, IEEE, OOTC, http://www.w5dxp.com

Michael Coslo September 4th 09 04:10 PM

ART vs. W8JI

Cecil Moore wrote:
Michael Coslo wrote:
Any relation to the loosely wrapped "coils" of shortened verticals
like bug catchers?

Ack! I meant to write Hamsticks, not bug catchers! Sum daze I am in a daze!

- 73 de Mike N3LI -

Art Unwin September 4th 09 06:14 PM

ART vs. W8JI

On Sep 4, 7:04*am, Cecil Moore wrote:
Dale Parfitt wrote:
[...]

Cecil I must respectively disagree. Your arguement is based on the
presence of common mode current. When there is a state of equilibrium
there is no vector that represents common mode. Since the radiator is
a full WL that represents a period it is of closed circuit form. In
such a case any radiator bend is accompanied by a bend that is equal
and opposite per Newtons laws. The moment you introduce common mode
currents you have strayed from the concepts of equilibrium, where all
forces are accounted for. Maxwells laws are based on the position that
all forces involved are accounted for where the summation of such
equals zero.
Regards

Art Unwin September 4th 09 06:27 PM

ART vs. W8JI

On Sep 4, 8:54*am, Cecil Moore wrote:
Richard Fry wrote:
[...]

Cecil you misunderstood what I was saying .
When you use a fractional WL then some of the wire cannot radiate,
thus the impedance is reduced from that of a full WL. Power is still
I sqd R Cos phi. where there is a varience. with the R in this case of
a approx 1/2. Gain is not involved, only energy dissipated.
Regards

Art Unwin September 4th 09 06:39 PM

ART vs. W8JI

On Sep 4, 7:23*am, Richard Fry wrote:
[...]

Gain has nothing to do with energy expended from a radiator. A folded
dipole is of a full WL with an overall dimension of 1/2 WL.

Cecil Moore[_2_] September 4th 09 06:53 PM

ART vs. W8JI

Art Unwin wrote:
Since the radiator is
a full WL that represents a period it is of closed circuit form.

My comments were about a one-wavelength straight
wire dipole in free space. The reflections from
the ends are what result in that large resonant
resistance at the center.

--Vf
Open --If
----------------------fp----------------------
Circuit Vr--
Ir--

Zfp - feedpoint impedance, Vf - forward voltage,
Vr - reflected voltage, If - forward current,
Ir - reflected current

Zfp = (Vf+Vr)/(If-Ir) = thousands of ohms

However, if we fold the 1WL dipole into a circular
1WL loop it is still a standing-wave antenna but
the phase of the reflections is reversed.

Zfp = (Vf-Vr)/(If+Ir) = ~100 ohms.

Where are those reflections coming from in a
circular 1 WL loop? Why is the phase of the
reflections reversed?
--
73, Cecil, IEEE, OOTC, http://www.w5dxp.com

Art Unwin September 4th 09 07:11 PM

ART vs. W8JI

On Sep 4, 12:53*pm, Cecil Moore wrote:
Art Unwin wrote:
[...]

Equilibrium means equilibrium thus there are no reflections. Actions
have an equal and opposite reaction. What are you going to draw upon
for an equalizing vector?

Richard Fry September 4th 09 07:25 PM

ART vs. W8JI

On Sep 4, 12:39*pm, Art Unwin wrote:

Gain has nothing to do with energy expended from a radiator. A folded
dipole is of a full WL with an overall dimension of 1/2 WL.

And for equal, matched power applied to their feedpoints, the total of
the energy "expended" (radiated) by both them is identical.

//

Cecil Moore[_2_] September 4th 09 09:00 PM

ART vs. W8JI

Art Unwin wrote:
Equilibrium means equilibrium thus there are no reflections.

No reflections on a standing-wave antenna?
Where do the standing waves come from?
--
73, Cecil, IEEE, OOTC, http://www.w5dxp.com

Art Unwin September 4th 09 09:40 PM

ART vs. W8JI

On Sep 4, 3:00*pm, Cecil Moore wrote:
Art Unwin wrote:
Equilibrium means equilibrium thus there are no reflections.

No reflections on a standing-wave antenna?
Where do the standing waves come from?
--
73, Cecil, IEEE, OOTC, *http://www.w5dxp.com

There are no standing waves either

Art Unwin September 4th 09 09:41 PM

ART vs. W8JI

Art Unwin wrote:
Equilibrium means equilibrium thus there are no reflections.

No reflections on a standing-wave antenna?
Where do the standing waves come from?
--
73, Cecil, IEEE, OOTC, *http://www.w5dxp.com

There are no standing waves either

Remember my WL is a closed circuit

Richard Fry September 5th 09 12:03 AM

ART vs. W8JI

On Sep 4, 1:25*pm, Richard Fry wrote:
And for equal, matched power applied to their feedpoints, the total of
the energy "expended" (radiated) by both them is identical.

_______________

For clarity I should have included the fact that the total of the
energy "expended" (radiated) when equal and matched powers are applied
to any and all elemental radiators, of whatever form, essentially is
identical.

What is NOT identical across these various radiator forms is the field
intensity in specific directions in the radiation volume.

THAT depends on the design of the radiating structure(s), and the
installation+propagation environment.

This is the reason for the 1.6 dB advantage in the intrinsic, free-
space, peak gain of the full-wave dipole over the 1/2-wave dipole in
the NEC analysis I posted earlier today. Both of these configurations
radiate the same total energy (somewhere).

But along their axes of maximum radiation, the full-wave antenna
produces the greater field intensity of the two, for a given applied
(and matched) power source.

//

Cecil Moore[_2_] September 5th 09 12:57 AM

ART vs. W8JI

Art Unwin wrote:
There are no standing waves either

If there were no standing waves, a current pickup would
read a constant current when moved up and down the conductor,
but it doesn't. A current pickup proves there are standing
waves. You can see it with your own eyes using RF current
meters available from MFJ. If your theory rests on "no standing
waves" being present, it can easily be disproved.
--
73, Cecil, IEEE, OOTC, http://www.w5dxp.com

Art Unwin September 5th 09 01:06 AM

ART vs. W8JI

On Sep 4, 6:57*pm, Cecil Moore wrote:
Art Unwin wrote:
There are no standing waves either

If there were no standing waves, a current pickup would
read a constant current when moved up and down the conductor,
but it doesn't. A current pickup proves there are standing
waves. You can see it with your own eyes using RF current
meters available from MFJ. If your theory rests on "no standing
waves" being present, it can easily be disproved.
--
73, Cecil, IEEE, OOTC, *http://www.w5dxp.com

I will wait for that day.
Regards

Cecil Moore[_2_] September 5th 09 01:07 AM

ART vs. W8JI

Art Unwin wrote:
Remember my WL is a closed circuit

Believe it or not, there are reflections at the
feedpoint caused by the Z0 physical impedance
discontinuity. You would be correct only if your
"closed circuit" was a traveling wave antenna.
But if it was a traveling wave antenna, its
feedpoint impedance would be in the hundreds
of ohms which, I assume, it is not. The fact that
your antenna doesn't have a feedpoint impedance
equal to the Z0 of the antenna wire proves that
reflections are present.

W8JI made essentially the same mistake in his loading
coil delay measurements so don't feel bad about it.
--
73, Cecil, IEEE, OOTC, http://www.w5dxp.com

Cecil Moore[_2_] September 5th 09 01:16 AM

ART vs. W8JI

Art Unwin wrote:
I will wait for that day.

No need to wait. It's easy to make the measurements
for yourself. I have already done it to prove that
standing wave current, with its unchanging phase
relative to the feedpoint current, cannot be used
to measure the phase delay through a loading coil.

If a current probe is used to measure a traveling
wave, the amplitude will be constant. If the amplitude
changes from point to point, it contains a standing wave.
--
73, Cecil, IEEE, OOTC, http://www.w5dxp.com

tom September 5th 09 01:31 AM

ART vs. W8JI

Cecil Moore wrote:
Art Unwin wrote:
I will wait for that day.

No need to wait. It's easy to make the measurements
for yourself. I have already done it to prove that
standing wave current, with its unchanging phase
relative to the feedpoint current, cannot be used
to measure the phase delay through a loading coil.

If a current probe is used to measure a traveling
wave, the amplitude will be constant. If the amplitude
changes from point to point, it contains a standing wave.

Art? Measure something? You must be kidding.

Next you'll expect him to tell us how to build one of his antennas.
Then we'd all know for sure what a fraud he is.

tom
K0TAR

Art Unwin September 5th 09 02:26 AM

ART vs. W8JI

On Sep 4, 7:31*pm, tom wrote:
Cecil Moore wrote:
Art Unwin wrote:
I will wait for that day.

No need to wait. It's easy to make the measurements
for yourself. I have already done it to prove that
standing wave current, with its unchanging phase
relative to the feedpoint current, cannot be used
to measure the phase delay through a loading coil.

If a current probe is used to measure a traveling
wave, the amplitude will be constant. If the amplitude
changes from point to point, it contains a standing wave.

Art? *Measure something? *You must be kidding.

Next you'll expect him to tell us how to build one of his antennas.
Then we'd all know for sure what a fraud he is.

tom
K0TAR

Tom You are losing it and getting worse. Why don't you block my posts?
That way you will not lose any sleep. I just smile when you post but
in return
you get so angry you don't make much sense it terms of a response
Right from the get go all denied that adding a time varying field to
Gaussian static theorem provides mathematics of radiation as taught by
Maxwell. Until this group recognises this it is pointless to proceed.
You will just have to live with that until all can come to terms with
that statement.You will not read it in any book so you have to go back
to first principles for yourself. If your learning in life is based on
rote or memorizing books then you are out of luck. If you can't come
to terms on that then it is you who is the fraud
Failing that you will just have to rely on intuition instead of
mathematical facts

tom September 5th 09 02:40 AM

ART vs. W8JI

Art Unwin wrote:

Tom You are losing it and getting worse. Why don't you block my posts?
That way you will not lose any sleep. I just smile when you post but

If you think that I, or anyone else, loses sleep over you, you need to
cut your ego down to size.

tom
K0TAR

[email protected] September 5th 09 03:00 AM

ART vs. W8JI

Art Unwin wrote:
On Sep 4, 7:31Â*pm, tom wrote:
Cecil Moore wrote:
Art Unwin wrote:
I will wait for that day.

No need to wait. It's easy to make the measurements
for yourself. I have already done it to prove that
standing wave current, with its unchanging phase
relative to the feedpoint current, cannot be used
to measure the phase delay through a loading coil.

If a current probe is used to measure a traveling
wave, the amplitude will be constant. If the amplitude
changes from point to point, it contains a standing wave.

Art? Â*Measure something? Â*You must be kidding.

Next you'll expect him to tell us how to build one of his antennas.
Then we'd all know for sure what a fraud he is.

tom
K0TAR

Tom You are losing it and getting worse.

"The camel cannot see the crookedness of its own neck."

Old Arabic saying.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.

Michael Coslo September 8th 09 05:38 PM

ART vs. W8JI

tom wrote:
Cecil Moore wrote:
Art Unwin wrote:
I will wait for that day.

No need to wait. It's easy to make the measurements
for yourself. I have already done it to prove that
standing wave current, with its unchanging phase
relative to the feedpoint current, cannot be used
to measure the phase delay through a loading coil.

If a current probe is used to measure a traveling
wave, the amplitude will be constant. If the amplitude
changes from point to point, it contains a standing wave.

Art? Measure something? You must be kidding.

Next you'll expect him to tell us how to build one of his antennas. Then
we'd all know for sure what a fraud he is.

Actually, Art gave me directions for building his 160 meter antenna, the
one people call "The Shoebox". SO you're not quite right on that point.

I looked at it, and decided that it very closely resembled an EH
antenna, with a tuned circuit on top of some coax. Those type of
antennas work after a fashion, probably through feed line radiation in
this case. So you could likely build it, install it, and make some
contacts with it. Whether that makes it a good antenna is up for
discussion. I'd probably go with something else.

- 73 de Mike N3LI -