Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old September 20th 09, 10:40 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default high power 4:1 balun

Does anyone make a 4:1 balun that I can use for an off center fed antenna
that will take the legal limit of power ?

I did find one that is around $ 80 to $ 100 that is suspose to handle it. I
hate to pay that much for a ring of 'iron' and a few feet of wire wound on
it and it will not work.

I have up a home made version of the Carolina Windom. Bought a balun rated
for 1.5 kw. I only run around 1200 watts out of a Drake L4B amp. That
balun will heat up and quit working ( swr goes way up from about 1.7:1 at
the frequency I use most) if I run more than about 500 to 600 watts SSB to
the antenna for any length of time. The antenna is fed with a good grade of
rg8 and about 20 feet from the antenna is a current balun (the one with the
beads over the coax). It will heat up some but when I take it out of the
line, the 4:1 balun still heats up . The 1:1 bead choke does not heat up to
any big ammount when I put it on a dummy load and put 1200 watts to it.

I had a low power balun up with the same antenna and running 100 watts the
antenna seemed to work fine.

If it was not for the wide bandwidth and good results I have been getting ,
I would just run an 80 meter dipole and no balun. Also want an antenna for
40 meters.
Have the usaul triband for 10,15,20.

FS high power tubes DQ Equipment 0 April 26th 06 06:01 PM
FS high power tubes DQ Boatanchors 0 April 26th 06 06:01 PM
FS high power tubes DQ Boatanchors 0 April 26th 06 05:56 PM
Balun = Power Loss? Jim Cammarano Antenna 3 May 14th 05 12:15 AM
FA: High Power Tuner Lou Dietrich Swap 0 December 9th 04 08:01 PM