Old October 23rd 10, 07:57 AM
Junior Member

Default Help High swr

Hi there Im new to amateur just got my licence and am having high swr problems ive checked the coaxial cables for continuity and everything seems to be right the antenna is a buddipole and everything has been assembled correctally can anybody tell me what I might be doing wrong Stephen.
Old October 23rd 10, 02:39 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Oct 23, 1:57*am, Saffer wrote:
Hi there Im new to amateur just got my licence and am having high swr
problems ive checked the coaxial cables for continuity and everything
seems to be right the antenna is a buddipole and everything has been
assembled correctally can anybody tell me what I might be doing wrong

Same on all bands with the proper coil-taps/whip-sections selected?
--
73
Old October 23rd 10, 03:50 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Sat, 23 Oct 2010 06:57:36 +0000, Saffer
wrote:

Hi there Im new to amateur just got my licence and am having high swr
problems ive checked the coaxial cables for continuity and everything
seems to be right the antenna is a buddipole and everything has been
assembled correctally can anybody tell me what I might be doing wrong
Stephen.

Please describe your conditions & set up as completely as you can.

There are a lot really smart and generous folks here to help but their
accuracy and interest is limited by the quantaty and quality input
information.

John Ferrell W8CCW
Old October 23rd 10, 06:40 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

In article ,
Saffer wrote:

Hi there Im new to amateur just got my licence and am having high swr
problems ive checked the coaxial cables for continuity and everything
seems to be right the antenna is a buddipole and everything has been
assembled correctally can anybody tell me what I might be doing wrong

Stephen-

How high is high? Most modern radios can tolerate SWR up to 3:1.

On a specific band, is SWR high across the entire band? I understand
the Buddipole is fairly critical, especially on the lower HF bands. It
may need to be adjusted for the part of the band where you want to
operate.

Fred
K4DII
Old October 24th 10, 07:26 AM
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Moore View Post
On Oct 23, 1:57*am, Saffer wrote:
Hi there Im new to amateur just got my licence and am having high swr
problems ive checked the coaxial cables for continuity and everything
seems to be right the antenna is a buddipole and everything has been
assembled correctally can anybody tell me what I might be doing wrong

Same on all bands with the proper coil-taps/whip-sections selected?
--
73
Yes pretty much the same on all bands I think I might have solved my problem the transceiver was not grounded sufficientally and when I did this the swr came down on all bands expecting part of 40 is it correct to say that swr is affected by station grounding ?

Old October 24th 10, 07:53 AM
Junior Member

Hi there I think that I might have solved my problem I had bad station grounding and when I ground the transceiver properally the swr cam donw heaps is it correct to say that bad station grounding affects swr
Old October 24th 10, 11:49 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Saffer wrote in news:Saffer.709bc28
@radiobanter.com:

Cecil Moore;721366 Wrote:
On Oct 23, 1:57*am, Saffer wrote:-
Hi there Im new to amateur just got my licence and am having high swr
problems ive checked the coaxial cables for continuity and everything
seems to be right the antenna is a buddipole and everything has been
assembled correctally can anybody tell me what I might be doing wrong-

Same on all bands with the proper coil-taps/whip-sections selected?
--
73

Yes pretty much the same on all bands I think I might have solved my
problem the transceiver was not grounded sufficientally and when I did
this the swr came down on all bands expecting part of 40 is it correct
to say that swr is affected by station grounding ?

Ideally, the coax would carry negligible common mode current and you
would not notice such an interaction.

The Buddipole should be used with an effective balun. My preference would
be a current balun with a high choking impedance, but IIRC that is not
what Buddipole recommend.

Let the coax fall to the ground vertically, and route it away from the
antenna at right angles to minimise coupling.

VSWR will be poor on the lower bands (80, 40) if you do not have the
variable ratio balun, and set it appropriately.

You are really shy on details (eg we have as good as begged you to
quantify 'high'), so you get brief answers. Describing the problem well
to yourself is the first step in resolving it.

Owen
Old October 29th 10, 01:46 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Cecil Moore;721366 Wrote:
On Oct 23, 1:57*am, Saffer wrote:-
[...]

I tried one a few years ago to use when I go camping. Having a hot
shield did prove to be problematic. This also got it retired to the
junk bin. My favorite antenna for camping is an NVIS antenna that
takes the form of a wire Yagi-Uda aimed skyward. All I need to put it
up is a couple of suitably spaced trees.

Jimmie
Old October 29th 10, 02:40 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
tom tom is offline

On 10/28/2010 7:46 PM, JIMMIE wrote:

I tried one a few years ago to use when I go camping. Having a hot
shield did prove to be problematic. This also got it retired to the
junk bin. My favorite antenna for camping is an NVIS antenna that
takes the form of a wire Yagi-Uda aimed skyward. All I need to put it
up is a couple of suitably spaced trees.

Jimmie

What band?

Care to share any details? Sounds like something fun to make.

tom
K0TAR

? 'Kchibo' Model KK-225 "High-Performance" AM/FM Pocket Radio ?Degen Model DE303 "High Sensitivity" AM/FM Stereo Pocket Radio ? RHF Shortwave 2 December 31st 07 02:48 PM
Get High Burr Shortwave 0 May 15th 05 05:37 AM
Need help with high SWR Vinnie S. CB 21 February 15th 05 08:49 PM
Wanted- Used Motorola UHF JT1000 High Split (470-520mhz), & a used Syntor X-9000 UHF High-Split Joe11426 Swap 0 November 5th 03 06:12 AM
K40 high SWR RP Jones CB 3 August 27th 03 04:44 AM