Old August 5th 03, 09:54 PM
Irv Finkleman

Bill wrote:

Has anyone tried the new super broomstick receiving antenna for sale on
ebay? I was wondering if it was any good or not.

Bill,
There are a number of variations on the broomstick antenna. They
are all variations on a helically wound antenna (a coil of wire, usually
fairly wide spaced, on a broomstick or dowel). In the absence of any
other antenna they may or may not work well enough to satisfy you, but
you might do just as well or better with a piece of wire strung across
the room or hanging out the window. Transmitting is another case --
but you mentioned the 'receiving antenna'. Hope this helps!

Irv VE6BP
--
--------------------------------------
Diagnosed Type II Diabetes March 5 2001
Old August 5th 03, 10:36 PM
Jack Twilley

Old August 5th 03, 10:37 PM
J T

I was actually waiting for someone to catch it but you were too busy
thinking troll or flame.

TV Coax is 75ohm.

"W5DXP" wrote in message
It's a good thing to make fun and belittle a newbie who is trying to
learn something?

No newbies allowed. The only people allowed are mean old farts suffering
from prostate problems. :-) Hint: Treat them like a duck treats a flood.
--
73, Cecil
http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old August 5th 03, 11:19 PM

Not necessarily!, there are also "Broomstick " antennas (VHF- UHF type) that
are STACKED sections of coax (Co-linears), where the sheath of a 1/2 wave
length piece is soldered to the center conductor of the next 1/2 wave piece
of coax (and also vice versa), with several of these sections, done, the
last section, if memory serves me right, is a 1/4 wave piece of wire, and it
is attached to the last 1/2 wave section, shield, and center conductor
shorted together!
similar to DB PRODUCTS- Green Hornet, and has a 1/4 wavelength radial for
counterpoise.
as info, Jim NN7K

Old August 6th 03, 02:54 AM
Ralph Mowery

I was actually waiting for someone to catch it but you were too busy
thinking troll or flame.

TV Coax is 75ohm.

TV coax has the shield made of aluminum or other nonsolderable material. 75
ohm coax can be soldered :-)