RadioBanter

-   -   Super Broomstick....Any good? (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/156-super-broomstick-any-good.html)

Bill August 1st 03 01:28 PM

Super Broomstick....Any good?

Has anyone tried the new super broomstick receiving antenna for sale on
ebay? I was wondering if it was any good or not.

J T August 5th 03 05:28 PM

Probably because he is a new ham, memorized the question pool and has no
idea what a soldering iron looks like or the difference between TV coax and
75 ohm coax is?

"Nic. Santean" wrote in message news:3f2a86d3@shknews01...
Why don't you build one by yourself ?

Nic.

.. .

[email protected] August 5th 03 07:16 PM

"J T" wrote in message
Probably because he is a new ham, memorized the question pool and has no
idea what a soldering iron looks like or the difference between TV coax

and
75 ohm coax is?

OK, let me get this straight....
It's a good thing to make fun and belittle a newbie who is trying to
learn something?
It's the new ham's fault that the current question pool is too easy for
your liking?
No one without experience should become a ham? (not sure how one gains
experience, but hey, I guess that's not important)

Paul

AB0SI (an extra light who never used a soldering iron until licensed nor
did I know anything about coax until I studied for the exams)

Jack Twilley August 5th 03 07:47 PM

Dave Shrader August 5th 03 08:20 PM

Use an antenna analyzer!

At 1/8 wavelength, from either a short or an open, the input impedance
will be purely resistive. The resistive value is the Zo of the line.

DD, W1MCE

Jack Twilley August 5th 03 08:56 PM

Roy Lewallen August 5th 03 09:17 PM

Without any RF test equipment, another way to tell is by physical
measurement of the dielectric and inner conductor diameters. But you'll
need some calipers to do that. If you have piece of marked cable of the
same outside diameter and either impedance for comparison, you can
easily tell the difference -- for the same outside diameter, 75 ohm
cable has a noticeably smaller inner conductor than 50 ohm cable.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

Jack Twilley wrote:

This is a little bit off the original topic, but I have a question.

Given two unmarked pieces of coax, how do you determine if they're "50
ohm" or "75 ohm" or whatever? Shorting them doesn't work.

W5DXP August 5th 03 09:27 PM

wrote:
It's a good thing to make fun and belittle a newbie who is trying to
learn something?

No newbies allowed. The only people allowed are mean old farts suffering
from prostate problems. :-) Hint: Treat them like a duck treats a flood.
--
73, Cecil
http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Dave Shrader August 5th 03 09:28 PM

NO! You can't test it with a VOM. You need a signal with wavelength
[frequency] characteristics.

Someone in your area should have an MFJ 259B. Ask around.

Deacon Dave, W1MCE

W5DXP August 5th 03 09:36 PM

Dave Shrader wrote:
At 1/8 wavelength, from either a short or an open, the input impedance
will be purely resistive. The resistive value is the Zo of the line.

Don't you mean purely *reactive*, Dave, like 0+jZ0 or 0-jZ0?
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Irv Finkleman August 5th 03 09:54 PM

Bill wrote:

Has anyone tried the new super broomstick receiving antenna for sale on
ebay? I was wondering if it was any good or not.

Bill,
There are a number of variations on the broomstick antenna. They
are all variations on a helically wound antenna (a coil of wire, usually
fairly wide spaced, on a broomstick or dowel). In the absence of any
other antenna they may or may not work well enough to satisfy you, but
you might do just as well or better with a piece of wire strung across
the room or hanging out the window. Transmitting is another case --
but you mentioned the 'receiving antenna'. Hope this helps!

Irv VE6BP
--
--------------------------------------
Diagnosed Type II Diabetes March 5 2001

Jack Twilley August 5th 03 10:36 PM

J T August 5th 03 10:37 PM

I was actually waiting for someone to catch it but you were too busy
thinking troll or flame.

TV Coax is 75ohm.

"W5DXP" wrote in message
It's a good thing to make fun and belittle a newbie who is trying to
learn something?

No newbies allowed. The only people allowed are mean old farts suffering
from prostate problems. :-) Hint: Treat them like a duck treats a flood.
--
73, Cecil
http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

August 5th 03 11:19 PM

Not necessarily!, there are also "Broomstick " antennas (VHF- UHF type) that
are STACKED sections of coax (Co-linears), where the sheath of a 1/2 wave
length piece is soldered to the center conductor of the next 1/2 wave piece
of coax (and also vice versa), with several of these sections, done, the
last section, if memory serves me right, is a 1/4 wave piece of wire, and it
is attached to the last 1/2 wave section, shield, and center conductor
shorted together!
similar to DB PRODUCTS- Green Hornet, and has a 1/4 wavelength radial for
counterpoise.
as info, Jim NN7K

Ralph Mowery August 6th 03 02:54 AM

I was actually waiting for someone to catch it but you were too busy
thinking troll or flame.

TV Coax is 75ohm.

TV coax has the shield made of aluminum or other nonsolderable material. 75
ohm coax can be soldered :-)

Irv Finkleman August 6th 03 06:11 AM

wrote:

Not necessarily!, there are also "Broomstick " antennas (VHF- UHF type) that
are STACKED sections of coax (Co-linears), where the sheath of a 1/2 wave
length piece is soldered to the center conductor of the next 1/2 wave piece
of coax (and also vice versa), with several of these sections, done, the
last section, if memory serves me right, is a 1/4 wave piece of wire, and it
is attached to the last 1/2 wave section, shield, and center conductor
shorted together!
similar to DB PRODUCTS- Green Hornet, and has a 1/4 wavelength radial for
counterpoise.
as info, Jim NN7K

The one on e-bay, which he referred to, was for HF
and I replied in a simplified manner so as
not to lead to any esoteric or off-topic confusion.
His question led to a lot of stuff on the thread which
was of no value to him whatsoever!