RadioBanter

-   -   Grounding A BNC Coax Cable End ? (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/156036-grounding-bnc-coax-cable-end.html)

Bob[_27_] November 21st 10 03:19 PM

Grounding A BNC Coax Cable End ?

Hello,

I have a bnc coax cable from a receiving (only) antenna that ends up at
a plastic cased switch box. The box has no convenient grounding point.

I would like to ground the bnc of the coax end.

I can rig "something" up of course, but was wondering if anyone might
know of a bnc connector which perhaps has a wire lead coming out of it
for this kind of purpose, or a screw terminal, or something for
grounding the bnc shell (and hence the coax shield) ?

Looked, but couldn't find anything appropriate.

Thanks,
Bob

Fred McKenzie November 21st 10 07:03 PM

Grounding A BNC Coax Cable End ?

In article ,
Bob wrote:

I have a bnc coax cable from a receiving (only) antenna that ends up at
a plastic cased switch box. The box has no convenient grounding point.

I would like to ground the bnc of the coax end.

Bob-

The BNC crimp connector I'm familiar with has a cylindrical ferrule that
first slips over the Co-Ax. The connector body is then pushed onto the
cable with a smaller cylinder sliding under the Co-Ax shield. Then the
Ferrule is slid back over the shield end and inner cylinder, and finally
crimped.

I don't think it would be practical to insert a wire to be captured in
the crimping process. Although it might be possible to solder a wire to
the ferrule after it had been crimped, the Co-Ax dielectric would
probably be deformed by the heat.

Does the BNC connector have a mate in the box? If so, the mate might be
a better place to attach a ground wire, especially if you want to
disconnect the BNC at some point. If not, you could install a female
connector on a grounding plate, that has no connection to the Co-Ax
center conductor.

Fred
K4DII

Richard Clark November 21st 10 07:07 PM

On Sun, 21 Nov 2010 10:19:44 -0500, Bob wrote:

Hello,

I have a bnc coax cable from a receiving (only) antenna that ends up at
a plastic cased switch box. The box has no convenient grounding point.

I would like to ground the bnc of the coax end.

I can rig "something" up of course, but was wondering if anyone might
know of a bnc connector which perhaps has a wire lead coming out of it
for this kind of purpose, or a screw terminal, or something for
grounding the bnc shell (and hence the coax shield) ?

Looked, but couldn't find anything appropriate.

Thanks,
Bob

Hi Bob,

The female BNC bulkhead connector often comes with a star/flat washer
style of solder tab.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

amdx November 21st 10 10:08 PM

"Bob" wrote in message
Hello,

I have a bnc coax cable from a receiving (only) antenna that ends up at a
plastic cased switch box. The box has no convenient grounding point.

I would like to ground the bnc of the coax end.

I can rig "something" up of course, but was wondering if anyone might know
of a bnc connector which perhaps has a wire lead coming out of it for this
kind of purpose, or a screw terminal, or something for grounding the bnc
shell (and hence the coax shield) ?

Looked, but couldn't find anything appropriate.

Thanks,
Bob

There's also this style which is overkill for you application.
As Richard said the star/solder tab will work
http://www.l-com.com/item.aspx?id=5484
Not the best picture but, on the expanded view you can see
a ground tab with hole and the center pin.
MikeK

Ian Jackson[_2_] November 22nd 10 08:11 AM

Grounding A BNC Coax Cable End ?

In message , Fred
McKenzie writes
In article ,
Bob wrote:

[...]

Ground wire with large alligator clip gripping BNC connector?
--
Ian

JIMMIE November 22nd 10 11:03 AM

Grounding A BNC Coax Cable End ?

On Nov 21, 2:03*pm, Fred McKenzie wrote:
In article ,

Bob[_27_] November 22nd 10 07:10 PM

Grounding A BNC Coax Cable End ?

hi all,