RadioBanter

-   -   G5RV.... feed (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/1633-g5rv-feed.html)

TonyWard April 19th 04 07:42 PM

G5RV.... feed

Hi There,
I wonder if there is a better way to feed my 1/2 size G5RV......

At the moment I am using it portable with the apex at 30 feet and the ends
sloping down to 3 feet above ground ............the DX location is around
250 mtrs ASL.

It is fed by 300ohm ladder connected to 20 feet of 50 ohm coax.

is this the best way to feed it I have heard that just using ladder line is
better/more eficient...

I would be gratefull for any plans or suggestions on how to feed this or
plans of other more efficient/easy set ups for portable "WIRE" antenna set
ups as I like to make my own antennas ....

I would like to over come the qrp operating by hight and antenna
eficiency...

Thxs for any suggestions......

Tony
M3TOE.

Bob Miller April 19th 04 07:57 PM

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 19:42:27 +0100, "TonyWard"
wrote:

Hi There,
I wonder if there is a better way to feed my 1/2 size G5RV......

At the moment I am using it portable with the apex at 30 feet and the ends
sloping down to 3 feet above ground ............the DX location is around
250 mtrs ASL.

It is fed by 300ohm ladder connected to 20 feet of 50 ohm coax.

is this the best way to feed it I have heard that just using ladder line is
better/more eficient...

I would be gratefull for any plans or suggestions on how to feed this or
plans of other more efficient/easy set ups for portable "WIRE" antenna set
ups as I like to make my own antennas ....

I would like to over come the qrp operating by hight and antenna
eficiency...

Thxs for any suggestions......

Tony
M3TOE.

I recently lengthened my 44-ft dipole to 51 feet, so it is a 1/2-size
"g5rv". I feed it with 42 feet of 450-ohm line, because that is what
it takes to get to my window. To transition to my tuner, I have a coax
choke balun at the window. With the tuner, I can work all bands from
40 thru 10, except for 15 meters, where the swr is a little high.

Whether this is better or worse than what you have, I couldn't say,
but it does work.

I suspect your antenna would work fine, fed entirely with 300-ohm
line.

Bob
k5qwg

KA9CAR April 19th 04 08:05 PM

Reg has a program called "Dipole 3" that will show you the relative
efficiencies of each set up.

http://www.btinternet.com/~g4fgq.regp/

JD

Bob Miller April 20th 04 01:19 AM

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 23:49:08 GMT, "Dan/W4NTI" w4nti@get rid of this
mindspring.com wrote:

There is no such thing as a half sized G5RV.

Dan/W4NTI

You haven't read Mr. Varney's article. He talks about not only a
half-size, but a double size.

Bob
k5qwg

Cecil Moore April 20th 04 03:06 AM

mindspring.com wrote:
There is no such thing as a half sized G5RV.
Dan/W4NTI

You haven't read Mr. Varney's article. He talks about not only a
half-size, but a double size.

As does the G5RV Application Note from Antennas West.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

'Doc April 20th 04 07:03 AM

Tony,
What you heard about feeding a 'G5RV' more efficiently with
some type of 'ladder' line is correct. 'More efficient' is
relative though.
Just for 'grins', the 'ASL' height is sort of meaningless for
DX or local, makes little difference, in general. 'AGL' does
make a difference, since it is one of the factors which will
shape radiation pattern, impedance, etc. (If it's a choice
between a (+) ASL and a (-) ASL, I think I'd take the (+) one.)
'Doc