Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 5th 04, 01:57 AM
coyotefred

Default cell antenna options for remote area???

Hello!

I'm trying to improve the reception of my cellphone (LG LX5450) on the
alltel network in northwest Nebraska to a remote cabin. Within the
cabin itself I can only get weak analog reception with frequent call
drops. 'Hike up a nearby hill about 200 feet from the cabin, however,
and I can a very strong digital signal (the hillside faces the roof of
the cabin).

It may be that a decent yagi antenna, aimed properly and mounted on
the cabin roof, will be sufficient to get me a good signal. If not,
however, I'm looking for options. I could mount the yagi up on that
hillside, but the resulting coax run (200' or so) would, I imagine,
have me losing more signal than I gain.

I was intrigued by a couple of posts on this group as far as
reflectors, "passive repeaters," etc. I'm not exactly sure where my
signal is coming from up on that hillside, however...it could be east
or north. I guess a little experimentation/aiming with one of these
setups would be the key.

But if anyone has been in a similar situation to what I'm describing
here and discovered a decent solution, I'd sure appreciate hearing
from you.

Thank you for your time.
coyotefred