RadioBanter

-   -   Fractal antennas (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/1727-fractal-antennas.html)

Jan Van Belle May 11th 04 10:59 AM

Fractal antennas

Hello all,

The last days I was searching for more info o how to build fratal
antennas on the web. But besides lots of links to fractenna.com and a few
powerpoint slides I found nothing.

Has anyone sucessfully build such an antenna for HF? Is anyone using it?

Kind regards,

Jan, ON5DOA

Reg Edwards May 11th 04 12:51 PM

"Jan Van Belle" wrote in message
Hello all,

The last days I was searching for more info o how to build fratal
antennas on the web. But besides lots of links to fractenna.com and a few
powerpoint slides I found nothing.

Has anyone sucessfully build such an antenna for HF? Is anyone using it?

Kind regards,

Jan, ON5DOA

==================================

Fractal antennas at HF stay up long enough to discover they don't work any
better than multi-band dipoles. Or simple verticals.

The radiation patterns, of course, are somewhat modified but not enough to
make any practical difference. Particularly as they are not rotatable.
What's the point in having a rotable antenna which from one band to another
is omni-directional?

Efficiency-wise you can't improve on 95 to 98 percent anyway.

All this can be deduced just by looking at them. Like conventional antennas
they are just a few wires in space at various angles. How can an additional
bend in a wire have a significant effect?

But as you are a confirmed experimenter I guess I am unable to discourage
you from your next project. I'm sorry I do not have any antenna wire
dimensions readily at hand.

As for me, in my time I have had experience with a variety of dogs-hind-leg
fractals without being aware of it. Is an inverted-L a first-order fractal?
----
Reg, G4FGQ

Jan Van Belle May 11th 04 01:57 PM

Reg Edwards wrote:

[...]

OK, I get your point. If you've already have a complete set of antennas, it
will probably be no use of building such a new one.
From my point of view, fractal antennas seem to be MUCH smaller than the
full size ones. So it would be an ideal solution if you live on an
appartment or don't have the permission to place a full-sized antenna
somewhere.

So for me, it would just be a better solution than 2 times 5m of wire with a
balun in the middle.

Jan, ON5DOA

Richard Harrison May 11th 04 02:36 PM

Reg, G4FGQ, dismisses fractal antennas as not improving on the
efficiency of radiation, but that may not be the intent.

Kraus, in "Antennas" says:
"They also provide new insights into antenna and array design----.
----Interestingly, the self-repeating different-size structure of a
log-periodic antenna qualifies it as a fractal form."

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI

'Doc May 11th 04 02:58 PM

Jan,
Very simply, they don't work worth a 'hoot'. If
you lack antenna space a 'fractal' antenna is not
the solution. Sorry...
'Doc

k4wge May 11th 04 08:06 PM

'Doc wrote in message ...
Jan,
Very simply, they don't work worth a 'hoot'. If
you lack antenna space a 'fractal' antenna is not
the solution. Sorry...
'Doc

I wouldn't invest in an Isotron, either.

Here is a link to some practical advice - -

http://www.alphalink.com.au/~parkerp/nooct97.htm

Speaking of "frac" tennas, here is a recent paper on the subject of
small antenna technology, which does not mention fractals (what
happened to that "Disruptive Technology" - - did the "paradigm shift"
again?)

(Looong url)

http://users.ece.gatech.edu/~durgin/...r%20Better.pdf

Cecil Moore May 11th 04 09:30 PM

'Doc wrote:
Very simply, they don't work worth a 'hoot'. If
you lack antenna space a 'fractal' antenna is not
the solution. Sorry...

As Richard Harrison pointed out, a log-periodic is
a fractal antenna, by definition.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Richard Clark May 11th 04 11:04 PM

On Tue, 11 May 2004 11:59:10 +0200, Jan Van Belle
wrote:

Hello all,

The last days I was searching for more info o how to build fratal
antennas on the web. But besides lots of links to fractenna.com and a few
powerpoint slides I found nothing.

Has anyone sucessfully build such an antenna for HF? Is anyone using it?

Kind regards,

Jan, ON5DOA

Hi Jan,

The reason you see such a void of examples is because of your very
question:
who has built one?

This question above is the one that follows:
which one to build?

And this question above is the one that follows:
what limitations do I have?
or:
what qualities do I want?

Your question is raised here on sporadic occasions, and the poster
NEVER returns to report a successful outcome. This is not due to lack
of information. For such (the largest compilation in the world)
visit:
http://www.qsl.net/kb7qhc/antenna/fractal/index.htm

You should immediately notice that the first impediment is found in
the very nature of fractal shapes.

Do you want gain? Seems not, you do not describe having a large
enough space to do that.

Do you want multi banded resonances in a small space? Probably, but
you will find very, very few examples worth the effort (frankly none).
In all likelihood you would need a tuner, and if you had a tuner, you
should skip the complication of this academic trash.

In open competition between an Amateur and the professional fractal
builder, the professional lost against 6 designs that trounced the
best professional fractal on the basis of gain for the smallest
footprint. That is to say, all seven antennas were bound within a
prescribed "small" area (such as you describe), and the fractal came
in dead last.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

'Doc May 12th 04 03:34 AM

Cecil,
And as you know, that wasn't exactly what he asked
about. Was it?
'Doc

Jimmy May 15th 04 03:52 PM

"Jan Van Belle" wrote in message
Hello all,

The last days I was searching for more info o how to build fratal
antennas on the web. But besides lots of links to fractenna.com and a few
powerpoint slides I found nothing.

Has anyone sucessfully build such an antenna for HF? Is anyone using it?

Kind regards,

Jan, ON5DOA

A fractal antenna is just another antenna that uses lumped inductance to
shrink the size of the antenna along with destroying the radiation pattern.
The arrl has a nice explantion of why antennas radiate on their web site.
Aplly this info to fractals and small coils and it is easy to see why they
dont work worth a hoot.

Jan Van Belle May 17th 04 08:03 AM

Richard Clark wrote:
In open competition between an Amateur and the professional fractal
builder, the professional lost against 6 designs that trounced the
best professional fractal on the basis of gain for the smallest
footprint. That is to say, all seven antennas were bound within a
prescribed "small" area (such as you describe), and the fractal came
in dead last.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Sorry,

I've had a little accident while sporting and since I've only
a quick connection at the QRL, I couldn't check my mail and this newsgroup.

OK, thanx for the explanation. It seems I can leave it now! I thought it
would be a nice solution: a big amount of wire on a small area. But if
performance is even lower as other antennas and I can only come out on QRP
(I've got an FT-817) it is probably not the thing to choose for in first
instance.

Thanks all for the replies, links, etc. !!

73's de Jan, ON5DOA

k4wge May 25th 04 09:15 PM

"Jimmy" wrote in message .com...
"Jan Van Belle" wrote in message
Hello all,

The last days I was searching for more info o how to build fratal
antennas on the web. But besides lots of links to fractenna.com and a few
powerpoint slides I found nothing.

Has anyone sucessfully build such an antenna for HF? Is anyone using it?

Kind regards,

Jan, ON5DOA

A fractal antenna is just another antenna that uses lumped inductance to
shrink the size of the antenna along with destroying the radiation pattern.
The arrl has a nice explantion of why antennas radiate on their web site.
Aplly this info to fractals and small coils and it is easy to see why they
dont work worth a hoot.

An 18 page paper entitled

FRACTAL ANTENNAS
Introduction to fractal technology and presentation of a fractal
antenna adaptable to anytransmitting frequency - The "FRACTENT"
By Werner Hödlmayr, DL6NDJ
January 2004

Can be downloaded at www.antenneX.com

His conclusion:

"The attentive reader will note that the spacing of resonant
frequencies in a fractal structure is logarithmic, whereas most of the
HF amateur bands follow a linear sequence. This means that the antenna
structure has to have a scaling which follows the same logarithmic
law. To build such an antenna is a challenge asking for a professional
simulation program (which allows more than 10,000 segments) and very
much perseverance."

Interesting references:

[2] Jaggard, D.L. (1990): On Fractal Electrodynamics. In Recent
Advances in
Electromagnetic Theory, H.N. Kritikos and D.L. Jaggard, editors,
Springer-Verlag, New York.
[3] Jaggard, D.L. (1991): Fractal Electrodynamics and Modeling. In
Directions in Electromagnetic Wave Modeling. Plenum Publishing Co.,
New York, 435-446

k4wge May 26th 04 02:29 PM

(k4wge) wrote in message . com...

Interesting references:

[2] Jaggard, D.L. (1990): On Fractal Electrodynamics. In Recent
Advances in
Electromagnetic Theory, H.N. Kritikos and D.L. Jaggard, editors,
Springer-Verlag, New York.
[3] Jaggard, D.L. (1991): Fractal Electrodynamics and Modeling. In
Directions in Electromagnetic Wave Modeling. Plenum Publishing Co.,
New York, 435-446

D.L.Jaggard's webpage:
http://www.seas.upenn.edu/~jaggard/

Richard Clark May 26th 04 05:24 PM

On 26 May 2004 06:29:27 -0700, (k4wge) wrote:

D.L.Jaggard's webpage:
http://www.seas.upenn.edu/~jaggard/
Too bad he doesn't have a patent pending or he would be the father of
fractal antennas. ;-)

Dare we wonder that these fractal children are legitimate? They sure
are *******s to build and they work like a dead-beat brother-in-law.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Cecil Moore May 27th 04 02:33 AM

william ewald wrote:
"Zagi antenna construction and measurements
A zagi antenna is made from serrated wire or plate. It has reduced
dimension because of the slow wave characteristics of the periodic
structure. The student is asked to construct and measure a Zagi for
the 225MHz digital broadcast band in the UK. "

Stand by - I am inventing a zig-zagi.

Jan Van Belle May 27th 04 09:57 AM

k4wge wrote:

An 18 page paper entitled

FRACTAL ANTENNAS
Introduction to fractal technology and presentation of a fractal
antenna adaptable to anytransmitting frequency - The "FRACTENT"
By Werner Hödlmayr, DL6NDJ
January 2004

Can be downloaded at www.antenneX.com

in fact, that was the article that raised all the questions ;-)
I found it interesting, but wanted to know if hams are really using it!

Kind regards,

Jan, ON5DOA

Brian Kelly May 28th 04 03:32 AM

Cecil Moore wrote in message ...
william ewald wrote:
"Zagi antenna construction and measurements
A zagi antenna is made from serrated wire or plate. It has reduced
dimension because of the slow wave characteristics of the periodic
structure. The student is asked to construct and measure a Zagi for
the 225MHz digital broadcast band in the UK. "

Stand by - I am inventing a zig-zagi.

Chip already patented it.

k4wge June 3rd 04 04:57 PM

Jan Van Belle wrote in message ...

I found it interesting, but wanted to know if hams are really using it!

Kind regards,

Jan, ON5DOA

Have you looked at the W0FMS page at

http://www.fredspinner.com/W0FMS/fractant/

Fred says, "The purpose of this web page is to further explain the
details of the rather contraversial Fractal Antenna. This antenna uses
a fractal shape to load a radiating element, allowing, according to
Nathan (Chip) Cohen, N1IR 2x to 4x reduction in size with little loss
in gain and/or F/B. I haven't tried this antenna yet, which is patent
pending from Fractal Antenna Systems, Inc. (Fractenna), so I claim
nothing else than to have deciphered the (IMHO) rather cryptic
building instructions in the
http://www.fractenna.com/ham/hampage1.html
page describing a 10-m 2 element quad fractal antenna. In order to
avoid potental criticism, I am stating for the record that the
instructions on the site are adequate for assembling this antenna. I
am also stating that for most, it is very hard to understand these
directions without a starting point of reference. It took me a couple
of hours to figure it out, and I'm a EE... "

Fractenna June 9th 04 12:38 PM

in fact, that was the article that raised all the questions ;-)
I found it interesting, but wanted to know if hams are really using it!

Kind regards,

Jan, ON5DOA

Not to my knowledge, Jan.

The presently and easily available (that is, free) info on fractal antennas
for hams is poor in content and often factually inaccurate, in my opinion, and
this is likely to remain so. In the world we live in today, this makes a lot of
a sense in its own quirky fashion.

Commercial uses are a different story, however. Of course, that's not what this
NG is about.

When hams switch to software radios in a big way then fractal antennas targeted
to hams might be worth making more widely known. With some luck, they'll be a
few of us 'hams' left then!

73,
Chip N1IR

Andy Cowley June 9th 04 04:06 PM

Fractenna wrote:

When hams switch to software radios in a big way then fractal antennas targeted
to hams might be worth making more widely known. With some luck, they'll be a
few of us 'hams' left then!

Maybe this is a naive question, but how does an antenna, fractal or
otherwise, know what kind of transmitter is driving it? Why are
software radios more suited to this design?

vy 73

Andy, M1EBV

Fractenna June 9th 04 05:21 PM

Maybe this is a naive question, but how does an antenna, fractal or
otherwise, know what kind of transmitter is driving it? Why are
software radios more suited to this design?

vy 73

Andy, M1EBV

True frequency and waveform agility is the goal in SDR . Wideband, or
controlled multiband, is needed. Ham requirements are well met at present with
a variety of antenna designs that are nearly periodic in a fairly narrow
frequency coverage, a fairly easy problem to solve.
73,
Chip N1iR

Richard Clark June 13th 04 02:50 AM

Unfortunately, that association is an aspersion upon horse****. ;-)

CW June 13th 04 05:50 AM

LOL!

Ian Jackson June 13th 04 12:27 PM

In message , Richard Clark
writes
wrote:
Translation: fractured antennas are horse****.

Unfortunately, that association is an aspersion upon horse****. ;-)

Not a good analogy. Horse**** can be quite useful (ask any organic
gardener).
Ian.

Mike Coslo June 13th 04 04:02 PM

Ian Jackson wrote:

In message , Richard Clark
writes

wrote:

Translation: fractured antennas are horse****.

Unfortunately, that association is an aspersion upon horse****. ;-)

Not a good analogy. Horse**** can be quite useful (ask any organic
gardener).
Ian.

Equine Excrement is a tad difficult for some gardening. IT has lots of
plant material that needs a good bit of time to compost correctly.
Mushroom growers love it, tho'.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Tdonaly June 13th 04 06:34 PM

Ian wrote,

In message , Richard Clark
writes
wrote:
Translation: fractured antennas are horse****.

Unfortunately, that association is an aspersion upon horse****. ;-)

Not a good analogy. Horse**** can be quite useful (ask any organic
gardener).
Ian.
--

Right. It's absolutely indispensable to cowboys and politicians.
73,

k4wge June 24th 04 03:27 PM

A consortium to investigate fractal electrodynamics theory (FET) has a
webpage at this URL.

http://www.tsc.upc.es/fractalcoms/

From the site:

"There is [a] potential limitation of fractal microwave devices that
must be investigated: the loss efficiency. It has been shown that in
fractal geometries electromagnetic fields and currents concentrate
into very small regions. Since the power loss due to Joule effect is
proportional to the square of the electric current density integrated
along the device surface, current concentration in small areas produce
much larger power losses than more uniform current distributions. This
effect may result in antennas having much lower gain... "

The articles and links are very interesting.