RadioBanter

-   -   Really Inefficient Antennas (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/1756-really-inefficient-antennas.html)

JGBOYLES May 17th 04 11:55 PM

Really Inefficient Antennas

Hi,
Since much has been made of the pros and cons of the B&W dipole or T2FD, I
thought it would be interesting to see if other amateurs have managed to
homebrew one of these. The B&W costs $200 USD. Seems like one could make
something that has the same amount of inefficiency for a lot less dollars.
Maybe use resistance wire (nichrome?), or connect a light bulb at the
feedpoint. The Isotron has been mentioned, but it costs too much. Any ideas?
73 Gary N4AST

JGBOYLES May 18th 04 12:55 AM

Take a dummy load and attach a piece of wire on some kind of a windup
system. To increase the efficiency, let out more wire and vice versa.

Good Idea, and we want to decrease efficiency, so the wind-up system may just
may be what is needed. What I was looking for is antenna materials that
decrease efficiency.
If we could come up with something as bad as the B&W dipole for a lot less
money, then we may have something.
73 Gary N4AST

Jim Kelley May 18th 04 12:56 AM

JGBOYLES wrote:

Take a dummy load and attach a piece of wire on some kind of a windup
system. To increase the efficiency, let out more wire and vice versa.

Good Idea, and we want to decrease efficiency, so the wind-up system may just
may be what is needed. What I was looking for is antenna materials that
decrease efficiency.
If we could come up with something as bad as the B&W dipole for a lot less
money, then we may have something.
73 Gary N4AST

Kite string and a lawn sprinkler? :-)

73, jk ac6xg

Tam/WB2TT May 18th 04 01:09 AM

"JGBOYLES" wrote in message
Hi,
Since much has been made of the pros and cons of the B&W dipole or T2FD,

thought it would be interesting to see if other amateurs have managed to
homebrew one of these. The B&W costs $200 USD. Seems like one could make
something that has the same amount of inefficiency for a lot less dollars.
Maybe use resistance wire (nichrome?), or connect a light bulb at the
feedpoint. The Isotron has been mentioned, but it costs too much. Any

ideas?
73 Gary N4AST

Try this: a 16 Ohm resistor in series with each side of the dipole, and a
100 Ohm resistor across the feedpoint. Unless I messed up, this will give
you SWR = 2:1 for all conditions including shorted, and absent dipoles.
Tam/WB2TT

Cecil Moore May 18th 04 01:45 AM

Tam/WB2TT wrote:
Try this: a 16 Ohm resistor in series with each side of the dipole, and a
100 Ohm resistor across the feedpoint. Unless I messed up, this will give
you SWR = 2:1 for all conditions including shorted, and absent dipoles.

Why stop there? A single Bird Termaline will guarantee a 1:1 SWR over a
1:100 frequency range.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Tam/WB2TT May 18th 04 02:28 AM

"Cecil Moore" wrote in message
Tam/WB2TT wrote:
Try this: a 16 Ohm resistor in series with each side of the dipole, and

100 Ohm resistor across the feedpoint. Unless I messed up, this will

give
you SWR = 2:1 for all conditions including shorted, and absent dipoles.

Why stop there? A single Bird Termaline will guarantee a 1:1 SWR over a
1:100 frequency range.

But mine will actually radiate. Efficiency could easily be 33% for some
dipole lengths/frequency combinations.
Tam
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Jerry May 18th 04 05:02 PM

Tam/WB2TT wrote:
Try this: a 16 Ohm resistor in series with each side of the dipole, and

100 Ohm resistor across the feedpoint. Unless I messed up, this will

give
you SWR = 2:1 for all conditions including shorted, and absent dipoles.

Why stop there? A single Bird Termaline will guarantee a 1:1 SWR over a
1:100 frequency range.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

I got a B & W Dummy Load/Wattmeter. Would that do? LOL?

Jerry

Jim May 19th 04 04:40 AM

Actually, at one time was a antenna_ shortened "Dipole", claimed worst match
was 3:1 literally from
dc to light! turned out, inside the center "insulator", was a 50 ohm
resistor! now, thats lousey effeciency! Jim

--
No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number
of electrons were terribly inconvenienced !

" People who never get carried away, should be! " --- Malcom Forbes

PatW May 20th 04 05:19 AM

Also remember that a terminated rhombic has 50% loss, about the same as the B&W.
Pat W0OPW

Reg Edwards May 20th 04 06:32 AM

Also remember that a terminated rhombic has 50% loss, about the same as
the B&W.

A terminated rhombic does NOT have a loss in the forward direction.
Radiation in the forward direction remains the same as when unterminated.

When terminated it is radiation in the UNWANTED reverse direction which is
absorbed by the termination and suppressed.
---
Reg, G4FGQ