RadioBanter

-   -   newby question (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/1821-newby-question.html)

JJ May 28th 04 03:18 PM

newby question

If I had a device with an internal antenna and no external antenna jack,
could I construct a device to slip over the area of the internal antenna and
pick up the signal threw induction and wire it to an external antenna ?

Thanks

JJ

Cecil Moore May 28th 04 03:46 PM

http://www.ccrane.com/select_a_tenna_modelm.asp

Allodoxaphobia May 28th 04 04:49 PM

On Fri, 28 May 2004 10:18:53 -0400, JJ hath writ:
If I had a device with an internal antenna and no external antenna jack,
could I construct a device to slip over the area of the internal antenna and
pick up the signal threw induction and wire it to an external antenna ?

Thanks

Yep.
For MW and HF applications:
Wind a half-dozen or so turns of small guage wire around the radio.
Since the orientation of most internal antennas are such that the
ferrite rod lies "east-west" along the long dimension of the case,
winding from the back - over the top - and down across the front
ought to line up your coil properly with the interal antenna
coil and "do it" for you.

One end, then, is connected to a 'long run' of wire out to a tree or
the such. For best results, the other end should be run to ground.

If this radio is mains powered, and there is _any_ chance that the
internal chassis, or metal brackets, or knob shafts, u.s.w., are
exposed, -- *DO NO DO THIS* -- unless you are very experienced and
know what you're doing, and/or have someone that _is_ very experienced
work with you on it.

HTH,
Jonesy

Richard Clark May 28th 04 05:09 PM

On Fri, 28 May 2004 10:18:53 -0400, "JJ" wrote:

If I had a device with an internal antenna and no external antenna jack,
could I construct a device to slip over the area of the internal antenna and
pick up the signal threw induction and wire it to an external antenna ?

Thanks

JJ

Hi OM,

Not if it is a high, high, high frequency device like a wireless
phone.

Not if it is a high, high frequency device like an FM walkman (well
maybe).

Sure, if it is a short wave or AM radio.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Richard Clark May 28th 04 07:06 PM

On Fri, 28 May 2004 13:15:13 -0400, "JJ" wrote:

2.4 to 5 Gig
Any solutions ?

YOW!

Raise the sucker as high as you can, and extend the data wires to the
point of use.

OR

Raise the sucker as high as you can, build a reflector or dish around
it; and extend the data wires to the point of use.

Beyond that, you stand to lose more than you gain.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Dave VanHorn May 28th 04 09:14 PM

"JJ" wrote in message
If I had a device with an internal antenna and no external antenna jack,
could I construct a device to slip over the area of the internal antenna

and
pick up the signal threw induction and wire it to an external antenna ?

Sit it at the focus of a dish?