RadioBanter

-   -   Antenna Pointing Aid From ARRL (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/183328-antenna-pointing-aid-arrl.html)

Sal[_3_] December 21st 11 10:16 PM

Antenna Pointing Aid From ARRL

Where to aim the ol' spark-catcher???

"Hams love maps, map software, and map-plications! Here's an online applet
to create a simple azimuthal-equisdistant map centered on any location you
care to specify." -- ARRL Contest Update

The latest edition of the Update contains this link:

http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA011...meqdist_e.html

The site allows for quite a few options. Click around and play. You can
drag the geographic map center with your mouse and you'll see the LAT/LONG
numbers change as you do. I see no azimuth ring around the outside but a
clever fellow can label his printed-out map.

"Sal"
(KD6VKW)

PS: If, perchance, you don't know about the Windows "Print Screen" key and
your ability to paste (and edit) the captured bitmap into the "Paint"
program ... well, now you do. On Mac, use "Grab" for much the same thing.

dave December 22nd 11 01:27 PM

On Wed, 21 Dec 2011 14:16:07 -0800, Sal wrote:

[...]

News I can use, thanks. Dave kd6il

John S December 23rd 11 01:13 AM

On 12/21/2011 4:16 PM, Sal wrote:
[...]

I find Google Earth much easier to use. Gives distance and heading. You
can also see the satellite pic of the country (if you're curious).

Sal[_3_] December 23rd 11 04:56 AM

"John S" wrote in message
On 12/21/2011 4:16 PM, Sal wrote:
Where to aim the ol' spark-catcher??

snip

I find Google Earth much easier to use. Gives distance and heading. You
can also see the satellite pic of the country (if you're curious).

I love Google Earth. I have it on my iMac in the house. In the shack,
however, I usually can "hear" the monitor as I tune across the bands, so I
normally keep it off. I just installed GE here and it runs nicely (XP, 2.4
GHz, 1 GB).

I don't see the feature to do a range and bearing from Home.

John S December 23rd 11 06:27 PM

On 12/22/2011 10:56 PM, Sal wrote:
"John wrote in message
On 12/21/2011 4:16 PM, Sal wrote:
Where to aim the ol' spark-catcher??

snip

I find Google Earth much easier to use. Gives distance and heading. You
can also see the satellite pic of the country (if you're curious).

I love Google Earth. I have it on my iMac in the house. In the shack,
however, I usually can "hear" the monitor as I tune across the bands, so I
normally keep it off. I just installed GE here and it runs nicely (XP, 2.4
GHz, 1 GB).

I don't see the feature to do a range and bearing from Home.

In GE, click Tools and select Ruler. Leave the Ruler dialogue box in
Line mode. Put your pointer (which has changed to a square with cross
hairs) on your starting location and click. Move your pointer to the
destination and click again. The dialogue box will show the distance and
heading.

Cheers,
John KD5YI

Sal[_3_] December 23rd 11 06:54 PM

"John S" wrote in message
On 12/22/2011 10:56 PM, Sal wrote:

snip

I don't see the feature to do a range and bearing from Home. {Google
Earth]

In GE, click Tools and select Ruler. Leave the Ruler dialogue box in Line
mode. Put your pointer (which has changed to a square with cross hairs) on
your starting location and click. Move your pointer to the destination and
click again. The dialogue box will show the distance and heading.

Cheers,
John KD5YI

Works perfectly. Aiming 34.4 degrees for London, 34.35 for Birmingham. g

Thanks.

"Sal"

PS: Merry Christmas & Happy Hanukkah to all.

John S December 23rd 11 08:39 PM

On 12/23/2011 12:54 PM, Sal wrote:
"John wrote in message
On 12/22/2011 10:56 PM, Sal wrote:

snip

I don't see the feature to do a range and bearing from Home. {Google
Earth]

In GE, click Tools and select Ruler. Leave the Ruler dialogue box in Line
mode. Put your pointer (which has changed to a square with cross hairs) on
your starting location and click. Move your pointer to the destination and
click again. The dialogue box will show the distance and heading.

Cheers,
John KD5YI

Works perfectly. Aiming 34.4 degrees for London, 34.35 for Birmingham.g

Thanks.

"Sal"

PS: Merry Christmas& Happy Hanukkah to all.

I'm pleased I could help. Merry Christmas to you, too.

John

John S December 26th 11 12:31 AM

"John wrote in message
On 12/22/2011 10:56 PM, Sal wrote:

snip

I don't see the feature to do a range and bearing from Home. {Google
Earth]

In GE, click Tools and select Ruler. Leave the Ruler dialogue box in Line
mode. Put your pointer (which has changed to a square with cross hairs) on
your starting location and click. Move your pointer to the destination and
click again. The dialogue box will show the distance and heading.

Cheers,
John KD5YI

Works perfectly. Aiming 34.4 degrees for London, 34.35 for Birmingham.g

Thanks.

"Sal"

PS: Merry Christmas& Happy Hanukkah to all.

Hmmmm. I got to thinking about your two bearings. The bearing from
Birmingham to London is 44.54 degrees. I don't see how it is possible to
get those two values from a fixed location.

What have you done wrong or what have I done wrong?

John

John S December 26th 11 12:55 AM

"John wrote in message
[...]

Ah! Now I see! I mistakenly assumed Birmingham, Alabama. My face is red
for not noticing the g. Good one!

Cheers,
John

Sal[_3_] December 26th 11 10:41 PM

"John wrote in message
[...]

No harm, no foul. (nice chuckle this QTH, though.)

"Sal"
(KD6VKW)