RadioBanter

-   -   Looking For April 1967 QST Article (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/184132-looking-april-1967-qst-article.html)

Irv Finkleman February 17th 12 10:27 PM

Looking For April 1967 QST Article

I am desperately seeking the article 'An Antenna For The Travelling Man'
from
the April 1967 QST.

Gotta build something to get me back on the air ASAP! :-)

Tks

Irv VE6BP
Calgary, AB

amdx[_2_] February 18th 12 02:04 AM

Looking For April 1967 QST Article

On 2/17/2012 6:17 PM, Irv Finkleman wrote:

Irv VE6BP

"Irv wrote in message
I am desperately seeking the article 'An Antenna For The Travelling Man'
from
the April 1967 QST.

Gotta build something to get me back on the air ASAP! :-)

Tks

Irv VE6BP
Calgary, AB

Got a copy now -- thanks to Jeff Lieberman

Jeff is da man!
1967? Jeff you ought to throw something away once in a while.
I even threw my Playboy magazines from the early 70's away,
about a year ago. They had some mighty fine looking 50+ year
old women in them!
Mikek

Jeff Liebermann[_2_] February 18th 12 02:45 AM

Looking For April 1967 QST Article

On Fri, 17 Feb 2012 20:04:44 -0600, amdx
wrote:

1967? Jeff you ought to throw something away once in a while.

I cheated and downloaded it from the ARRL web pile.

When we had our last big earthquake in 1989, most of the damage to my
house was done by my magazine collection falling over and flooding the
kitchen and hallway. I was walking on top of a 2ft "carpet" of
magazines for about a month until I was able to haul them off. As I
vaguely recall, the magazines filled 3 heaping small pickup truck
loads. After the magazines were cleared, I discovered that their
weight had caused the sub-floor to buckle, and pull away from the wall
framing. Beware of magazine collectors syndrome. These days, I
recycle more often and read online. Much better.

I even threw my Playboy magazines from the early 70's away,
about a year ago. They had some mighty fine looking 50+ year
old women in them!
Mikek

You should have saved them and sent them my way. At my age, 50+ is
starting to look just fine.
http://seniorjournal.com/NEWS/Sex/3-05-22oldbroads.htm

# 831-336-2558
# http://802.11junk.com
#
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com AE6KS

amdx February 18th 12 04:49 PM

wrote:

[...]

Not sure if you got my little joke there. In the early seventies
the women were 20 yrs old to today they are 50+, but they look real good
in the magazines for 50+ yr old women... My seventeen year old son was
not happy to see me through them out before he got a chance to peruse.
I have a collection of QST from the 80's in the attic, thinking maybe
I should move them so they are at least sitting over a wall, for support.
Mikek
Mikek

JIMMIE February 18th 12 05:00 PM

On Feb 18, 11:49*am, amdx wrote:
http://seniorjournal.com/NEWS/Sex/3-05-22oldbroads.htm

* I have a collection of QST from the 80's in the attic, thinking maybe

I should move them so they are at least sitting over a wall, for support.
* *Mikek
* * * * * * * *Mikek- Hide quoted text -

Thats a good idea. Ceiling in my daughter's room has a sag in it
because of my mags.

Jimmie

Irv Finkleman February 18th 12 05:04 PM

Looking For April 1967 QST Article

I got my ticket in 1957. I was always collecting junk from others,
By 1982 had accumulated a full collection of QSTs back to the 50's.
I also had all CQs back to the mid 30's, and miscellaneous other
radio mags. I had some 30 ft of shelving in the shack which eventually
collapsed. I didn't need an earthquake! It took a week of
gathering the mags off the floor, going through them all for
articles on antennas mainly, which I clipped and saved,
then disposing of old mags a bagful at
a time in a local unprotected dumpster. No other hams
wanted them.

I think I will rejoin
ARRL -- I left them in '86 for the Canadian Ham organization
mag, but realize now that the ARRL archives are a valuable
source of useful info.

Irv VE6BP

Jeff Liebermann[_2_] February 18th 12 07:43 PM

Looking For April 1967 QST Article

On Sat, 18 Feb 2012 10:04:14 -0700, "Irv Finkleman"
wrote:

I got my ticket in 1957.

I got mine in about 1962. I think I was 14 years old.

I was always collecting junk from others,

My favorite sport was digging through the dumpster behind Henry Radio
(in Smog Angeles) or various Radio/TV repair shops, for parts and
pieces. I would haul the carcass home on the bus (don't ask) and tear
them apart in my parents garage. These days, I go to garage sales,
thrift shops, flea markets, and buy on eBay. The results and quality
are about the same.

I had some 30 ft of shelving in the shack which eventually
collapsed. I didn't need an earthquake! It took a week of
gathering the mags off the floor, going through them all for
articles on antennas mainly, which I clipped and saved,
then disposing of old mags a bagful at
a time in a local unprotected dumpster. No other hams
wanted them.

http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/drivel/slides/mess02.html
No earthquake required here. Just my lousy job of attaching the
shelving to the drywall and overloading the shelves. Gravity always
wins. It took about a week to clean up the mess and reattach the
shelves.

A clean shop is a sure sign of someone that pays retail:
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/home/slides/BL-shop6.html

I think I will rejoin
ARRL -- I left them in '86 for the Canadian Ham organization
mag, but realize now that the ARRL archives are a valuable
source of useful info.

The ARRL archives QST from December 1915 through December 2007. More
recent issues are not available online.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D

Jeff Liebermann[_2_] February 18th 12 08:00 PM

On Sat, 18 Feb 2012 10:49:13 -0600, amdx wrote:

Not sure if you got my little joke there. In the early seventies
the women were 20 yrs old to today they are 50+, but they look real good
in the magazines for 50+ yr old women... My seventeen year old son was
not happy to see me through them out before he got a chance to peruse.

I got the joke, but that has never stopped me from twisting the
meaning slightly.

I have a collection of QST from the 80's in the attic, thinking maybe
I should move them so they are at least sitting over a wall, for support.

Well, 12 issues of QST weighs 8.0 lbs and are about 3" thick
(compressed). I had a pile that was 10ft long, about 6ft high, and
two rows deep. Mostly EDN, Electronic Design, RF Design, various
microwave mags, etc. My guess(tm) is that it was about 120 linear ft
of magazines. At 32 lbs per linear foot, that's 3,840 lbs.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D

Owen Duffy February 21st 12 05:34 AM

Looking For April 1967 QST Article

Jeff Liebermann wrote in
:

The ARRL archives QST from December 1915 through December 2007. More
recent issues are not available online.

You mean not available online at ARRL, that is not the same as not
available online.

Owen