Old June 5th 04, 12:37 PM
Richard

Default Something for someone to do.

I don't know whether I've got the know-how or the time to design a homebrew
VHF yagi for the marine band.

So, is anyone out there interested in providing a service to all marine band
DXers/eavesdroppers of designing and producing *full constructional notes*
on a range of marine antennas, and then putting the designs up on a website.

All antennas shall principally be for reception.

All antennas should be described as covering 156-162Mhz.

As far as the yagis are concerned, they should range from 2 to 6 elements.

All yagis shall have 4mm (or 3/16") diameter parasitic elements.

All parasitic elements shall be secured to boom by nylon rivets as per
G3SEK's notes at:
http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek/diy-yagi/#Construction

All booms shall consist of either 20mm or 15mm square tubing.

The DE for all yagis shall be 8mm (or 5/16").

The DE for all yagis shall be a regular hertz dipole.

There shall be some kind of balun.

Please, please!

Old June 5th 04, 12:57 PM
Richard

"Richard" wrote in message

All yagis shall have 4mm (or 3/16") diameter parasitic elements.

I think this is reasonable. It will keep the antenna lightweight. Why have
bigger if you don't have to.

The DE for all yagis shall be 8mm (or 5/16").

Possibly this could be 3/8" because this size might generally more easily
available.

The DE for all yagis shall be a regular hertz dipole.

Why have a folded dipole if you don't have to.

How are you going to mount DE? Are there any commercially availble dipole
centers that take 5/16" or 3/8" tube? Will you have to homebrew the dipole
center peice?

(In UK I can obtain commercial dipole centers that hold 1/2". I've not
sourced any others that take 5/16" or 3/8").

Old June 5th 04, 02:00 PM
Fractenna

[...]

Just out of curiousity, why can't these be purchased already from commercial
sources? Note: I am not in the 'lawn furniture in the sky' business.

73,
Chip N1IR
Old June 5th 04, 02:12 PM
Fractenna

So, is anyone out there interested in providing a service to all marine band
DXers/eavesdroppers

Why, exactly, is there a need to 'eavesdrop'? Who, in particular, are you
trying to 'eavesdrop' on? How many 'eavesdroppers' would seek such 'service'?

I am confused by your motivations and would be better enlightened with more
info in this regard. I ususpect I am not alone in this confusion.

Many thanks,

73,
Chip N1IR
Old June 5th 04, 02:29 PM
Richard

"Fractenna" wrote in message
So, is anyone out there interested in providing a service to all marine

band
DXers/eavesdroppers

Why, exactly, is there a need to 'eavesdrop'? Who, in particular, are you
trying to 'eavesdrop' on? How many 'eavesdroppers' would seek such

'service'?

I am confused by your motivations and would be better enlightened with

more
info in this regard. I ususpect I am not alone in this confusion.

Many thanks,

73,
Chip N1IR

Oh you got me! I've been caught out! I'm listening to the marine band. Shall
I expect the police at my door? Quickly I must hide my apperatus! I think
not.

Old June 5th 04, 06:59 PM
Fractenna

Oh you got me! I've been caught out! I'm listening to the marine band. Shall
I expect the police at my door? Quickly I must hide my apperatus! I think
not.

I asked a reasonable question, and did not expect a sarcastic response.
Please: why is there a need, or an interest, to "eavesdrop" (using your
description) on the marine band with a high gain unidirectional antenna?

73,
Chip N1IR
Old June 6th 04, 04:21 PM
CW

Surely you realize that there are people that listen to things on radio.
Shortwave, VHF, UHF. Military comms, utilities, ect. You do actually
participate in the radio hobby, don't you?

Old June 15th 04, 08:00 PM
Zombie Wolf

In case you dont recognize the "fractal" boy, take a look at his address. He
got tired of beating his brains out over on rec.radio.amateur.antenna, since
everyone filtered the hell out of him, so now he is trying to break new
ground here........ Just plonk him, or this could go on for a year....

"O. Epstein" wrote in message
om...
(Fractenna) wrote in message

So, is anyone out there interested in providing a service to all

marine band
DXers/eavesdroppers

Why, exactly, is there a need to 'eavesdrop'? Who, in particular, are

you
trying to 'eavesdrop' on? How many 'eavesdroppers' would seek such

'service'?

I am confused by your motivations and would be better enlightened with

more
info in this regard. I ususpect I am not alone in this confusion.

Many thanks,

73,
Chip N1IR

What's it to you? It's perfectly legal. What more do you need to know, and

why?