Old August 16th 12, 05:25 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default DSP software for using sound card audio strength to compare antennas?

Hi everyone:

I am about to compare the performance of two HF antennas and have an idea for doing this, that I would appreciate comments on.

The objective is to determine which antenna yields a stronger signal to DX locations, and even get a measure of the difference in dB. I am assuming that the antennas are reciprocal, so if antenna A receives an X-dB stronger signal than antenna B, antenna A will also yield an X-dB stronger signal from my transmitter to that location. So, I would like to measure the signal strengths received through these antennas and compare them. For this I would listen for CW or digital mode signals, switch back and forth between antennas, turn off the AGC and record the audio into a file (or monitor it directly), where I could accurately estimate the signal strengths and compare. I realize that different noise levels, fading, intermittent signal transmission, etc. will affect the absolute signal levels, so the software should be able to handle this. For example, by measuring the signal carrier alone and/or SNR. And it would be nice if the software could give me an "envelope reading" of the signal, for example, to estimate the CW signal.

Do any of you have comments on this methodology to compare antenna performance? And do you know of any DSP / sound card software that could be used for this?

73 - Kristinn, TF3KX
Old August 17th 12, 01:56 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

http://w5big.com/spectrogram.htm

Old August 17th 12, 05:03 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Fri, 17 Aug 2012 12:56:55 +0000 (UTC), David
wrote:

http://w5big.com/spectrogram.htm

Free, made for ham radio, and possibly better:
http://www.qsl.net/dl4yhf/spectra1.html
http://www.weaksignals.com

When using detected audio to compare antennas, make sure you're
comparing signals, not comparing noise levels. Picking up more
atmospheric noise is not the mark of a better antenna.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D

Good sound card & software ? Henry Kolesnik Antenna 33 February 22nd 07 08:44 PM
Good sound card & software ? Henry Kolesnik Homebrew 33 February 22nd 07 08:44 PM
Hardware sound card? Or software? Ken Digital 0 July 4th 05 12:03 AM
sound card Marco S Hyman Digital 8 April 1st 05 08:17 AM
sound card modem nospam Digital 3 October 11th 03 03:32 AM