Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old January 1st 13, 01:09 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Battery charging???

Hi
I know it is a bit off topic but I know a lot of knowledge here and the
boating groups seem finished.

I have three batteries for my boats, two are the larger sized 12volt deep
cycle, the heavier ones (about 50 lbs) about 700 something amp. Nautalis
from Canadian Tire, the other is the regular size deep cycle 12volt (about
30lb) .
The battery charger is the Canadian tire 2amp/10amp automatic charger. Has
setting for deepcycle batteries.

Because both those heavy batteries (4 years old) were drained very low,
almost dead it took about a week to charge one of them before the green
light came on on the charger. They always measured 12v and always kept fluid
full. Both batteries charged fully in about a week with that charger (about
5 days each) at 10 amps. Sometimes I switch the charger to 2 amps (high
power rates).

The other regular sized boat battery (for my 70hp outboard) is about 5
years, always shows 12v and full, and charged up np and green light came on.

I put all three on the shelf in the garage here in Ontario and tapped the
batteries together in parellel and put the charger back on the center
battery and haven't seen the green light come on that charger now for over a
week. I keep it on 10amps overnight because cheaper rate, then switch to 2
amps for the day, then weekends 10amps solid.

Why no green light? Was green light when individually charged them.

I know the smaller battery is much less amps than the other two (pair)
batteries.

My objective was to bring them all up to charge (green light) then keep them
in storage in the garage with the one amp charger I have from Canadian tire
and keep it there all winter on the 1amp charger 24,7.

Any ideas why the batch of them aren't coming to green light? And is that a
good storage idea?

Thanks for any ideas,,

73s