Old February 6th 13, 12:32 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Dual band antenna ???

Hi all

Now I need a recommendation for a 2m 70cm base antenna. This will go right
at the top of a 50ft tower. My ringo 2m modification antenna didn't pan out
too well. I could get low SWR on some freq but I want a wider range of work.
If that is possible. I also use it for 156 megs (Marine band).

I am looking at the utubes of dual band antennas for home, I like the
UVS-300.

Can anyone make a recommendation for the purchase of a dual band antenna? I
would also like to use it as a SWL antenna as I listen a lot on all bands.
This antenna will be verticle and right at the top of the tower. I am hoping
to spend about 200 dollars.

Thanks for any comments,

Old February 6th 13, 10:08 PM
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom[_8_] View Post
Hi all

Now I need a recommendation for a 2m 70cm base antenna. This will go right
at the top of a 50ft tower. My ringo 2m modification antenna didn't pan out
too well. I could get low SWR on some freq but I want a wider range of work.
If that is possible. I also use it for 156 megs (Marine band).

I am looking at the utubes of dual band antennas for home, I like the
UVS-300.

Can anyone make a recommendation for the purchase of a dual band antenna? I
would also like to use it as a SWL antenna as I listen a lot on all bands.
This antenna will be verticle and right at the top of the tower. I am hoping
to spend about 200 dollars.

Thanks for any comments,
The antenna of choice is the Diamond X 510 fed with Belden 9913 or LMR 400

Ringo's are nothing more then a over glorified dummy load..

Second choice would be a Diamond V2000 if you also wanted to include 6 meters.....

On two meters FM - I have talked up to 1500 miles when the bands were open with the Diamond V2000 and frequently talk 50 / 75 miles in the mountains of western Pennsylvania - although my elevation helps a little.

I am at 1400' amsl - 60 miles west of State College and 65 miles east of Pittsburgh and I can talk and listen - north, south, east and west about 50 miles full quieting.
__________________
No Kings, no queens, no jacks, no long talking washer women...
Old February 7th 13, 08:10 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Wed, 6 Feb 2013 22:08:02 +0000, Channel Jumper
wrote:

'Tom[_8_ Wrote:
;801430']Hi all

[...]

Do not take the Diamond X510, take a shorter one.
The long antenna bends and swayes in the wind causing unnecessary
fading. The bending results in early failure.

You cannot SWL with a real duoband antenna, because it is frequency
selective and is dead on the SW bands.

w.
Old February 7th 13, 01:06 PM
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut Wabnig[_2_] View Post
On Wed, 6 Feb 2013 22:08:02 +0000, Channel Jumper
wrote:

'Tom[_8_ Wrote:
;801430']Hi all

[...]

Ya - I didn't catch that one.
Longer wavelengths requires a larger antenna, hence you aren't going to use a 2 meter antenna to listen to 80 or 160 meters - at least you probably aren't going to work much DX - but the bottom line is - you need more then one antenna to do everything...

MIght I suggest the Barker and Williamson BWD 90 folded dipole for the HF bands. Problem is - it costs more then 200 dollars.

The Diamond X510 should not give you much problems with bending - opposed to what Wabnig sez...

Technicially, you should never put a vertical antenna at the very top of any tower. You should side mount it - which would eliminate any bending or flexing. Putting it at the top of the tower - just turns it into a good lightning rod.
__________________
No Kings, no queens, no jacks, no long talking washer women...
Old February 8th 13, 02:24 PM
Senior Member

Not to get too technicial, but the title of the post was Dual Band Antenna ???
Not one antenna that does it all.

The only antenna that does more then one or three bands would be the discone antenna...

The Diamond Discone will operate somewhere between 10 meters and 900 MHz.

Any other antenna would require the use of traps or solenoids to make the antenna resonant for that band.

One other antenna - if you had the money and the real estate would be the High Power - Off Center Fed Dipole - which operates practically everywhere between 440 MHz and 160 meters - with the exception of 15 and 30 meters.

http://www.angelfire.com/electronic/hypower/
__________________
No Kings, no queens, no jacks, no long talking washer women...

Old February 9th 13, 02:26 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
tom tom is offline

On 2/8/2013 8:24 AM, Channel Jumper wrote:

One other antenna - if you had the money and the real estate would be
the High Power - Off Center Fed Dipole - which operates practically
everywhere between 440 MHz and 160 meters - with the exception of 15 and
30 meters.

http://www.angelfire.com/electronic/hypower/

If you believe that an antenna will operate effectively from 160m to
70cm you are even more ignorant than I previously thought.

And OCFD are not good even at HF if you really understand how they work
and the problems they have because of that.

tom
K0TAR

Old February 8th 13, 02:08 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Thanks for the tips

Are any better than the others in cross frequency rejection? I want a high
gain antenna but nothing that would pull in too many high power operators
locally.

Sometimes there are pagers or text message providers who bleed onto two
meters, especially when a local ham transmits, seems to come in strong. Are
there any ways to reduce or eliminate the cross frequency intermodulation? I
like the idea of the 17 foot, no problem with height, height means gain,
gain sometimes means intermodulation.

The diamond X-510 has very good reviews,

Any ideas how to eliminate cross channel intermodulation with good antenna?
Or right antenna?

Thanks

"Channel Jumper" wrote in message

'Helmut Wabnig[_2_ Wrote:
;801459']On Wed, 6 Feb 2013 22:08:02 +0000, Channel Jumper
wrote:
-

;801430']Hi all

--
Channel Jumper

Old February 8th 13, 05:03 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Fri, 8 Feb 2013 09:08:47 -0500, "Tom" wrote:

Are any better than the others in cross frequency rejection? I want a high
gain antenna but nothing that would pull in too many high power operators
locally.

Sometimes there are pagers or text message providers who bleed onto two
meters, especially when a local ham transmits, seems to come in strong. Are
there any ways to reduce or eliminate the cross frequency intermodulation? I
like the idea of the 17 foot, no problem with height, height means gain,
gain sometimes means intermodulation.

The diamond X-510 has very good reviews,

Any ideas how to eliminate cross channel intermodulation with good antenna?
Or right antenna?

You're antenna isn't going to do much for removing excessively strong
signals, such as paging. The single best improvement you can do is to
lose your scanner, and get a better receiver with a better 3rd order
intermod (IMD3) specification. By the nature of the beast, scanners
are highly susceptible to intermod mixes in their front ends.

There are cavity and crystal notch filters, that will reduce the
signal levels around the paging transmitter frequency, without
affecting the operating frequency (much). Search for crystal VHF
notch filter or cavity VHF notch filter.
http://www.parelectronics.com/amateur.php
http://www.vk5zd.com/PagerFilter/Filter.aspx
Careful what you buy as some notch filers are receive only and will
blow up if you transmit through it.

You can also build a tolerable notch filter with a T-connector and a
1/4 wave coax stub:
http://dl4xav.sysve.de/coax.filter/coax-filter.html

There are also ham radio bandpass filters, such as:
http://www.dci.ca/?Section=Products&SubSection=Amateur-FAQ
A BPF has the advantage of removing multiple sources of IMD, from a
wide variety of off frequency sources, while the various notch filters
only remove one frequency.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old February 9th 13, 09:09 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Fri, 8 Feb 2013 09:08:47 -0500, "Tom" wrote:

Thanks for the tips

snip

The diamond X-510 has very good reviews,

I cut mine to small pieces and dumped into the garbage bin.

That much for the good reviews.

But you don't want to listen and learn.

w.
Old February 16th 13, 07:16 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Helmut Wabnig" [email protected] --- -.dotat wrote in message
On Wed, 6 Feb 2013 22:08:02 +0000, Channel Jumper
wrote:

'Tom[_8_ Wrote:
;801430']Hi all

Now I need a recommendation for a 2m 70cm base antenna. This will go
right
at the top of a 50ft tower. My ringo 2m modification antenna didn't pan
out
too well. I could get low SWR on some freq but I want a wider range of
work.
If that is possible. I also use it for 156 megs (Marine band).

I am looking at the utubes of dual band antennas for home, I like the
UVS-300.

Can anyone make a recommendation for the purchase of a dual band
antenna? I
would also like to use it as a SWL antenna as I listen a lot on all
bands.

// snip //

You cannot SWL with a real duoband antenna, because it is frequency
selective and is dead on the SW bands.

w.

The shield on his dual-bander coax may work. The downside is the likely
pickup of interference close to the SW rcvr, like from a computer, switching
PS, fluorescent lights, etc.

I just tried it, using a coax-to-banana-jack adapter. I used a clip-lead to
connect the red banana jack to the shield of my 6m j-pole, making the shield
the antenna. It's about thirty feet long and it worked tolerably well on
the SW bands that are active at the moment. I did some A/B comparisons by
switching between the "shield-antenna" and my 20m dipole. Some SW stations
were actually better on the "shield-antenna."

"Sal"
(KD6VKW)