RadioBanter

-   -   Can a router be a router and an access point at the same time? (https://www.radiobanter.com/antenna/196523-can-router-router-access-point-same-time.html)

Jesse[_3_] August 7th 13 06:49 PM

Can a router be a router and an access point at the same time?

Googling for how to set up my home broadband router to allow a far-away
connection, I'm confused by the term "access point".

My home broadband wireless router is typical in that it *is* the access
point for all my home PCs and cellphones on WiFi.

But, when I google how to set up a far-away antenna (Ubiquity Bullet M2
with a planar antenna) from a half mile away to connect to my router, I
immediately become confused.

A router, by default, *is* an access point. So why would I have to set it
up *as* an access point?

NOTE: All I want to do is aim the Bullet M2 at my router to connect from
a half mile away. Do I set up the bullet as a "router" or "bridge"?

Allodoxaphobia[_2_] August 7th 13 11:31 PM

On Wed, 7 Aug 2013 17:49:38 +0000 (UTC), Jesse wrote:
Googling for how to set up my home broadband router to allow a far-away
connection, I'm confused by the term "access point".

My home broadband wireless router is typical in that it *is* the access
point for all my home PCs and cellphones on WiFi.

But, when I google how to set up a far-away antenna (Ubiquity Bullet M2
with a planar antenna) from a half mile away to connect to my router, I
immediately become confused.

A router, by default, *is* an access point. So why would I have to set it
up *as* an access point?

NOTE: All I want to do is aim the Bullet M2 at my router to connect from
a half mile away. Do I set up the bullet as a "router" or "bridge"?

It's difficult to determine what your Amateur Radio Antenna qustion is.

Sal[_4_] August 8th 13 04:26 AM

Can a router be a router and an access point at the same time?

"Allodoxaphobia" wrote in message
t...

snip

It's difficult to determine what your Amateur Radio Antenna qustion is.

Maybe you need to bone up on mesh networks. Developments are
coming fast and furious and some of the router channels are in ham
bands, so he could, in fact be on-topic. I wish I knew enough to
answer Jesse.

vu2nan August 9th 13 04:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jesse[_3_] (Post 807701)
Googling for how to set up my home broadband router to allow a far-away
connection, I'm confused by the term "access point".......................................a half mile away. Do I set up the bullet as a "router" or "bridge"?

Hi,

Does this help?

http://www.wireless-home-network-mad...vs-router.html

73,